Coyote Rifle Optics

+1 for piggybacking red dots, I do it on all my hunting rifles. The weight penalty is minimal and then you don't have to worry about your low end magnification range or whether an FFP reticle is useable.
Looks like you are right handed. You may want to get a mount that you can fit at 45 on the right side of your scope. That way when you are on target from your scope you just have to adjust your rifle & eye very minimal to the Red Dot. Just a suggestion. I did a lot of practice on placement.

2.5-20×50
20230907_105534.jpg

20230905_180605.jpg

20230907_105430.jpg

Looks like you are right handed. You may want to get a mount that you can fit at 45 on the right side of your scope. That way when you are on target from your scope you just have to adjust your rifle & eye very minimal to the Red Dot. Just a suggestion. I did a lot of practice on placement.

Interestingly enough, I would encourage you to consider the exact opposite and put it on top. If I am shooting and need to transition to the red dot all I have to do is lift my head up (I have a giraffe neck which helps). My stock stays in the exact same place on my shoulder, so I am not trying to cant my rifle, especially if shooting supported off a bipod or tripod. Its a better height if using head mounted NV like a PVS-14 if that is applicable/important, and I run my AR-15's the same way. Lastly the windage and elevation adjustments and trajectory of the bullet out of the rifle all remain consistent when viewed through your primary optic. I find overall it just works better for me and less likely to get bumped and damaged as well.

Interestingly enough, I would encourage you to consider the exact opposite and put it on top. If I am shooting and need to transition to the red dot all I have to do is lift my head up (I have a giraffe neck which helps). My stock stays in the exact same place on my shoulder, so I am not trying to cant my rifle, especially if shooting supported off a bipod or tripod. Its a better height if using head mounted NV like a PVS-14 if that is applicable/important, and I run my AR-15's the same way. Lastly the windage and elevation adjustments and trajectory of the bullet out of the rifle all remain consistent when viewed through your primary optic. I find overall it just works better for me and less likely to get bumped and damaged as well.
What ever works for you is best. Your explanation is sound. Yes there are more ways to do one thing. I know MARSOC Marines & Seals they set up both ways. What works best for the operator.
By the way nice Rig
I hope that our posts help the OP.
Thanks
Len & Jill

What ever works for you is best. Your explanation is sound. Yes there are more ways to do one thing. I know MARSOC Marines & Seals they set up both ways. What works best for the operator.
By the way nice Rig
I hope that our posts help the OP.
Thanks
Len & Jill

Agreed on all accounts. Definitely have learned that when it comes to guns and optics, one size does not fit all. The civil discourse is part of what makes this forum so great.

And thank you!

If you are shooting coyotes when you happen upon them like when you are deer or elk hunting, a lot of magnification is probably fine.

I personally found that when calling, 3.5x was too much for me on the low end, and most of my coyote kills have been within 100 yards so my calling rifles now have 2-10x scopes.

Hunting inside 300 yards.....

I've used 2.5-8x36 for deer

3-9x? Vanilla size to me,

I gotta wonder is the 4-12x40 a better choice for the dog sized targets?
The larger bell giving a wider field of view and letting more light in?

I never tried one that I can recall.
NOTHING beats Spina optics, NOTHING!

AWRSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Scope and Rig. Like the Yote too!
I built that 22GT last year and got it Aug 10th. Took 1 trip to the range and shot a total of 18 rounds (9 w. 77TMKs and 9 w. 85.5 Hyb). Left 5 days later for NM pronghorn hunting, and shot # 19 was a yote at 696 yds. Took 2 more that trip.

Then took 9 more in AZ during scouting trips for AZ pronghorn over the next 8 days.

12 coyotes of opportunity in 2.5 weeks. Not even calling. From running at 200 yards to them thinking they were out of range at nearly 700 and stopping to look back. Mostly in that 300-450 range.

Plus 20+ prairie dogs from 80ish to 410.

2.5x is good for those moving shots pretty close. Those 25 yard runners might be a little tight. 700 yard standing is no big deal on 20x. I have shot it to 1100+ on 8" steel too. 20x is nice for those shots.

+1 for piggybacking red dots, I do it on all my hunting rifles. The weight penalty is minimal and then you don't have to worry about your low end magnification range or whether an FFP reticle is useable.
Unless you are a paid Sponsor you may not do anything on the site designed primarily to promote your own business.

Hell yeah, we have another Element fan here... I have two.

I'm a fan of SFP, I hate the disappearing reticle with my older eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunting inside 300 yards.....

I've used 2.5-8x36 for deer

3-9x? Vanilla size to me,

I gotta wonder is the 4-12x40 a better choice for the dog sized targets?
The larger bell giving a wider field of view and letting more light in?

I never tried one that I can recall.
All flavors:
MG Arms Custom Rem Model 700V 260 Rem - Nightforce SHV 4-14x56
Ruger AR-556 MPR 5.56 - Trijicon AccuPoint 2.5-12.5x42
Savage Model 12 LRPV .223 Rem - Trijicon Tenmile 5-50x56

Lil' varmints and hogs hate my guts...