Coyote hunting tips

Too windy to hunt. Hunt the bottoms. Lake, creek, and hardwood bottoms will cut the wind. Be especially stealthy. A lot of the time you will be up close and personal. Out west drop off the cap rock. Hunt the breaks and draws.

The most important thing is your set-up spot..Go in stealthy. wait for 10 or 15 minutes...Next is: always call crosswind, and try to make sure the downwind side is open so they have to expose themselves.... and do not call in muti-directions...call just one direction....nothing after 20 minutes? Get out of there stealthily and go to another spot. If you hear a pack coming howling,,, consider it a lost cause...There's too many and one of them will bust you... Most of my kills are just one coyote or two coming, and I never stay on the call so they can locate me.

How well does a coyote smell? About 10,000 to 100,000 times better than you or I." If you make the analogy to our vision, what you and I can see at one third of a mile, a coyote could see at more than 3,000 miles away." Their long nose and brain are built for smell. They have 200 million more olfactory receptors than we do. Much of their communication is done through smell. Such as marking their territory with keep out, I am friendly, I am looking for company,and I am the Alpa dog. Recently, the German Shepard a close cousin to the coyote located four young men murdered and buried 12.5 feet deep. Their sense of smell is simply amazing. We are fortunate when we have encounters. I do use so called scent elimination sprays. However, I believe it is at most just helpful. I have called coyotes within arms length using nothing, skunk essence, skunk gland, and the elimination spray. You decide what works best for you. Anything that gives you confidence has to be helpful.

How well does a coyote smell? About 10,000 to 100,000 times better than you or I." If you make the analogy to our vision, what you and I can see at one third of a mile, a coyote could see at more than 3,000 miles away." Their long nose and brain are built for smell. They have 200 million more olfactory receptors than we do. Much of their communication is done through smell. Such as marking their territory with keep out, I am friendly, I am looking for company,and I am the Alpa dog. Recently, the German Shepard a close cousin to the coyote located four young men murdered and buried 12.5 feet deep. Their sense of smell is simply amazing. We are fortunate when we have encounters. I do use so called scent elimination sprays. However, I believe it is at most just helpful. I have called coyotes within arms length using nothing, skunk essence, skunk gland, and the elimination spray. You decide what works best for you. Anything that gives you confidence has to be helpful.

They cant smell you if the wind carries your scent away from them. Thats why you always call into the wind , not sideways . and not down wind.and they will ALMOST always come in from the direction your calling . And if your camoed up properly they will not see you ! I have had a hawk land in a tree 10 feet from me and not see me and a yotes vision is poor compared to birds of pray ! And 1/3 mile,,, more than 3000 mile,,, pure BS .

I was told at one time what a human sees at 20 feet a yote sees at 100 yards ,,, turns out that is also total BS.....

From what i can determine a yotes vision is far less than a humans ,,, except in low light/ darkness.

http://www.findretrievers.com/news/...-a-dog-truly-see-accurately-at-long-distance/

http://www.sciencealert.com/how-dogs-see-the-world-compared-to-humans

Last edited:
A coyotes eyes are sooooo good , Nasa popped one out and looked through it to scan the surface of Mars o_O

Tip !

If a 5000 lb coyotes answers your call ,,, shoot your hunting buddy in the leg , throw any food you have on you at the coyote ,,,, AND RUN LIKE H E DOUBLE L !

Last edited:
Coyote hunting tips. Please no discussions or stories just straight out tips and techniques.Example

Always carry a shotgun or better yet a shot gunner with you.

Loose ships sink ships!! Once you have found honey holes that continually produce do not take anyone except your best hunting partner ( dog lol), because once someone else knows about it sooner or later they will try your spot and then it becomes a ok spot instead of a stellar spot. Just my 2 cents

If your hunting in fairly open terrain and you have a pair coming in shoot the small coyote first. This is usually the female. I think it is easier to stop the male and get him to take one last look for his mate. Shoot the male first and the female is out of there in a cloud of dust.

If you call very much you will sooner or later be challenged. The dreaded challenge howl, a short sharp howl answers your calls. Now what? I have read you can challenge back like a female or leave a friend in place while you back out and challenge back. I have tried challenging back like a dominant male and a submissive female. Neither worked. Just got into a challenge serenade. Success has come by backing out and waiting a day or two on a wind change. Then set up on the opposite side of where you think the coyote was. Killed several big males doing this.

You have talked to a lot of land owners and a special person has given you permission. You've done your scouting. You found a great place to hide the truck and set up. You stealth in there early. Setting on a small rise with a cedar at your back. The sun touching your neck and wind in your face. The e-caller is set in front of you about thirty yards. The caller and your camo covered self sprayed down with scent kill.The 12 in your lap and the 243 on the bi-pod at your side. You set there for a few minutes just taking it all in. You start with cottontail distress on about one third volume. Keeping very still and moving just your eyes with slight slow head movement. Then you notice movement straight out front at 70 yards. Then 60 yards, and oh yes it's a coyote coming wide open! Now 50 yards, closing fast! 40 yards, he has you nailed! You can not move. At 30 yards he stops and looks for a split second confused at the e-caller. Then those laser brown eyes are cutting right through you. Any fast, unusual, or quick move and he will disappear like a puff of smoke. Keep your cool. Your hands should be on the 12. Elbows in smoothly and slowly raise it straight to your check and squeeze. BANG! He is still kicking. BANG! CONGRATS!!!

Last edited:
IMG_5775(2).JPG
IT'S TIME!!! Here in North Texas and Oklahoma we have had a couple of cold fronts and there is a nip in the air early in the morning. It's not yet September, however, this weather has us and the young coyote thinking about fall. We are all feeling a new vigor. The young coyote is anxious to explore, feed up for winter, find new territory, and even find a mate. Shake the dust off and get out there. Without a doubt this can be some of the best calling of the year. Especially if you like them up close and personal.

Last edited: