Coyote hunting tips

After the snow has been on the ground for several days/weeks, pattern their trails, scat territory markings. From this info, make a map. Look for areas where trails are used and intersect w/each other. Stand at location, make decisions from all 4 directions for where to make a snipers hide @ 100 yards or more at an elevated location. Use hand saw to cut small limbs, pruning shears to cut small vegetation for shooting lanes. Preview path to these locations, clearing all sticks, vegation that will add noise to your approach. Approach chosen location w/wind in your face. Use backpack to carry blind chair, shooting sticks/tripod, thermos. Wear ghillie suit. Remain silent and motionless. Kiss-squeak or bark for them to stop when they show up. Let the gunfight at the OK Corral begin.

WestKYShooter reminded me there was nothing in this thread about bi pods, sticks, or tripods. I have tried shooting sticks, Primos tripods, and bi pods all from a sitting position. I continue to use the tall Harris bi pod without the swivel head. I also have a Caldwell. I like it when I do not have to walk very far and the shoots are over 300. It is a tripod and very HEAVY. It holds both ends of the rifle. This gives you a very steady hold. I also use a sling with all of these.

Use a tree stand in thick river bottoms..Especially good when river is frozen coyotes travel the ice and can be seen at long distances. The elevated calling works to carry your calls and makes it easier for the dogs to find you . Don't over call. I've had one under my stand looking up at me! He didn't get away but he could have!

I have been addicted to hunting/shooting coyotes since '77, and still can't get enuf of it. Of all the tips threads I've ever seen on this subject this has been the best of all--patience being the best so far IMO. Went out last week and shot a coyote. Buddy had to leave so we walked back to the car, and I let him out of the gate. Just for the heckuvit' decided to walk down to the same area (wanted to toss the mange dog in a ravine), and sure enough there's another coyote in the same spot.

Walk a lot...for 2 reasons. It gives you some exercise when you're approaching 60 during the winter you may not get otherwise, and it's a nonintrusive way to hunt them as well. Don't waste good fur. Carry skinning/carrying gear with you so you can haul them to a fencepost for that purpose.

Use really good glass for binocs--my buddies crave my Leica Geovids--of which I believe that 10X is the best in open prairie-type country (not 8's).

Spot and stalk--it's more fun (and rewarding) than calling...IMO, and often a great way to hunt "educated", overcalled areas.

If you're a walker like me OVERHYDRATE AT THE VEHICLE--obviously. At the end of a 3 or 4 mile circuit you don't wanna be uncomfortable--you're supposed to be having fun. Old 2-liter pop bottles are great for this.

George requested I post this here--one piece of additional gear that I never compromise on is a customized soft-sided stadium seat covered with burlap and has the side straps resewn closer to the seat for uncompromising back support, as well as attaching another snap at the end of the side straps for hands-free carry--2 important changes IMO!! The stadium seat has 2 other nice functions. It can be unsnapped and used as a short shooting mat, and held in front of you for stalking purposes (this actually works believe it or not)--

...oh almost forgot the 3rd reason for walking a lot--it also saves gas--a lot of it actually since I hunt so much.

oh and one last thing--take care of your rancher. Couple years ago somebody shot several cows from the road with a 22. Everybody was shut off the ranch for several years, except me, 'cause I go out of my way (to an extreme actually) to be respectful to them. Keep Wal-Mart bags in your car so you can pick up trash on the ranches you hunt, especially at the gates. If the rancher sees you doing this you'll be in like Flint for a long time thereafter. I hunt one very local ranch that's divided into 5 different parcels, all less than 30 minutes away...which means I can get a number of half day hunts in anytime, and I'm the only varmint hunter that's allowed on it anymore. This is a huge advantage for upping fur counts/fun, and even great memories. I love it!!

Last edited:
I haven't read all the posts here so maybe this has been talked about--but what do you guys do about/for fleas if you carry one over your shoulder? Once I get them home, I put them in a garbage sack and spray with flea killer, but obviously can't do that out in the field? Thanks

Steve, I skin all my coyotes in the field now, and freeze the furs for several days before I process them. I don't have much hair anymore so once they reach my head, after crawling up the back of my shirt mostly I scratch once or twice and they jump off me, I guess...or my buddy picks the fleash (what my Filipina wife calls them) off me whilst skinning them.

Match your gun to your situation. I seldom use a shotgun personally, but like to use an AR with a low powered scope when shots will likely be close. I usually hunt alone and carry only one gun, the AR handles close to mid-range shots with quick follow ups. In more open grassland spots where bobcats won't show and shots tend to be longer I like a flatter shooting bolt gun in 22-250, 243, or 6mm. If it's real windy or yotes are real spooky I sometimes take the 25-06 or 264WM.

Don't always try to get high and make coyotes come uphill to you just to get the elevation to see. When you are up high setting up you are more visible to coyotes also. I often try to lure coyotes up a side draw instead of setting up where I'm visible to the main draw. I also call right in the bottoms a lot now.

If the distress sound doesn't work try pup distress before leaving. I've had yotes come screaming in to it after 12 minutes of rabbit or bird distress produced nothing.

Use a decoy especially when hunting alone.

The tip on using a UV killer detergent is a good one. I switched to that this year and am getting away with more movement than before.

When using a leafy suit or ghilly suit top, trim the sleeves back a bit. I had a string in the action of my AR that prevented it from closing properly as I loaded my rifle in the dark one morning. Cost me a yote in a tournament. I trimmed up the sleeves so there is nothing much past the elbow to irritate me and like it better.

I often call in overalls instead of pants/shirt. It keeps me from having a shirt come untucked and getting cold. Cold means uncomfortable which means to much movement. Waterproof overalls like the Cabelas MT50 are great for keeping my butt dry and warm when sitting on wet ground or snow.

Carry a pad or stool if there is much snow, don't trust the waterproof bibs 100%!

Hunt the fronts. Weather plays a huge roll in the life of a coyote. All animals, fish, and birds move and feed heavily before a front. Here's proof. My trail camera by the house usually has 100 photos on it in 24 hours ( deer, turkey, dove, squirrels, and a fox ) before a front it has 300 to 500.

I hit the Thrift Shops for most of my hunting gear. Actually bought a pair of perfectly colored coveralls at a flea market awhile ago for 10$ or so. The zipper was screwed up, but thought I just might be able to fix it. Tried everything on the Internet for a fix when I just gave up. Was in Wal-Mart a few days later and thought on a whim to buy a zipper to see if we could sew it in, sure enough after struggling with trying to take the old one out we sewed the other one right over the old one, and it worked perfect. Now I can pay just a few bucks for these used coveralls (used blends in a bit better), and easily (AND QUICKLY) fix the little problems they have cheap.