coyote calls?

jj338

I am new to calling coyotes but i have gone three or for diffrent days and all i can call is foxes and bobcats so far. i know its a good problem but is there a differnt call for coyotes.
I have been useing the DUBBLE COTTONTAIL and KAT NIP along with a electiric rodent squeaker from fox pro.
thanks.

Should i stay away from the rodents squeaker?

Sounds like you're staying in position long enough (if you're callin cats) which is a good thing! But it sounds like you're playing sounds that coyotes don't much care for.

I've called in alot of coyotes with rodent squeaks and bird distress, but they have been the ones I was already fairly close to to begin with.

You might try a jackrabbit, fawn distress has worked wonders for me over the years. A soft non-intimidating howl every so often can help too.

You simply may be in an area where there are not alot of coyotes?? There may be more yotes where I hunt, but very rarely do I see a fox. Cats.....yes sometimes, but not like the coyotes.

i see a ton of coyotes and hear them often and well im calling and i normaly sit for around 40 min or so
The guy that i learned from uses a call called lil dog or something like that would that help my odds or do u know other calls that would help. Thanks

LiL Dog is made by Primos and is a Randy Anderson invention/promotion.

I have not personally used one, I have one that I won in a coyote calling contest (door prize) but I haven't even taken it out of the box.? I am sure it works, most every call I've ever tried has called in coyotes.

40 minutes is usually plenty long enough for coyotes. Generally, if they're coming in; they'll be there pretty quick (often within 20 minutes).

If you're hearing them but not seeing them, you might just try to get up and move closer to them. We can hear coyotes from at least a mile away on a calm day (sometimes two miles away.......they are LOUD).

Ya thanks alot I'm going to try a few times and get a few more calls and thanks alot

ive been using a foxpro with great success this winter.my three favorite calls have been the dying jack, cottontail distress 1, and lightning jack. just the other day i got my first double and missed the third one for a triple.this is just my opinion but i think youre calling to long.if there not coming after 15-20 minutes there not coming. most of the yotes ive shot this year have come after 45 seconds -8 minutes.hope this helps and happy hunting.

SBruce and Longbomb have brought you good advice. I'm not a fox guy at all but 'cats don't seem to have a "call memory". They say you can call a bobcat, shoot at it and go back an hour later and call it in again using the same sound. Not likely at all with coyotes. Changing up the sound and location and giving them some time before trying them again is all good advice with coyotes. I'm saying this to say that maybe your area is getting called by others or you have inadvertantly wised the coyotes up. That's one place the Foxpros really help by making some different sounds that are hard to duplicate on a handcall.

The Primos Li'l Dog is a good call and medium-easy to use. It was the first open reed call I used. For ease of use and sound, I really like the custom calls by Kerry Carver. His tone baords are awesome. I'll have an exclusive Signature Series set of calls on my website shortly. His production call helped him take second in the World Contest last month. Its only like $12.95. Great calls from a great call maker. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on them.

Tim
No Off Season
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

this web sight is the only one on the web that i have found to give such a wide variety of free calls in mp3 formats down loading the ones you want of the set 16 min sequences he has or the 20 min sequences of sounds happy hunting gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.