coyote calls

gremcat

Looking to get into coyote calling in middle NC .I just purchased a savage 12fv in .223 now am looking for a call setup but because of the money invested in the rifle with leupold I can only spend 50 bucks most.What do more experienced callers recommend ?If it's a mouth call it needs to be easy to figure out as I have never called or seen anyone else call.I just moved here last fall Back home in the adirondacks the coyotes would sometimes walk up to you.Probably not here though to residential .Though I have heard some calling in the woods.I was thinking of a inexpensive electronic call or tape but not quite sure how to use them is it a minute on a minute off starting low and progressively getting louder?I was also thinking of picking up a roadkilled animal tail to use as a decoy or maybe a sqyirrel tail tied to a stick?Any help is mightly appreciated thanks.gun)

I should also add I am hunting in mostly thinned out woods and small fields 150 yd shot max shooting a .223 with either 69 gr bhills match or win. silver tips

Well I'll try to answer all of your questions in order, so bear with me. First off, welcome to the sport of predator calling. I find it to be one of the most pleasurable times spent in nature. As for a call setup less than $50, I would stay away from the cheap electronic callers. I would instead recommend hand calls as your first endeavor. Imparticular since you are new to the sport and not familiar with calling, I would recommend one of the Primos "kits". These kits include a howler and a closed-reed distress call, they also come with an instructional DVD by Randy Anderson that will get you started in the right direction. Just FYI, there are two different types of distress calls, closed-reed and open-reed. As a first time caller I recommend the closed-reed calls. These are calls that as the name implies has a reed that is built within the call body. They already have a set pressure placed on the reed, and you vary the pitch by blowing more or less volume of air into the call. Open-reed on the other hand have the reed outside of the call body. These are a little harder to learn, and require more practice to get the pitch just right. These calls work by placing the reed into your mouth, and you adjust pressure by squeezing your lips around the reed and pressure board. Another variable in open-reed calls is where you place pressure on the reed. If you place pressure towards the tip, you get a high pitched squeak that would mimmick a rodent(very good close-up call) by moving pressure further from the tip you will get an ever deeper pitch. With an open reed you can mimmick anything from the previously mentioned rodent squeaks to cottontail distress to jackrabbit distress. As far as calling sequence is concerned, I typically start at a lower volume on the calls for about a minute. Then I pause for a couple minutes. If nothing shows, then I will increase volume and call for a couple minutes, then quit for a couple. I try to limit my entire stand set to about 20 minutes for coyotes and fox and up to about 45 minutes to an hour for bobcat. I have found if coyotes are going to respond, it will typically be in the first 10 minutes of the stand. As far as decoys are concerned, they do help out immensely. They draw the attention of the game off of the noise coming from your mouth to the decoy placed out in front of you a little ways. This allows you to get by with a little more movement. As for using a tail from roadkill, be sure to check your states laws. A lot of states with not allow you to use real animal parts as decoys. Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction. Have fun.

I kind of wanted to start with a electronic then when I am more experienced move to mouth calls .I was thinking of using a stewart tape that way I can just play the whole tape one side for thirty minutes and see what responds .I am not sure the best way to use these though as far as the tape player any suggestions or other ideas are appreciated the primos kit seems good I might try that to .Anyone within a 3 hour ride of raleigh who wants to get together would be great novice or experienced.So much info out there and so many different ideas of what is good .Just not sure where to start .I only have about three spots to try maybe four but three are public land so = (

Last edited:
I really like the Crit'R'Calls. I have standard and just picked up a songdog and really like it. Makes all the sounds you may want, easy to make them, with some practice, and easy to blow, not a lot of air to work it. You may find them locally or try Allpredatorcalls.com
Calling coyotes is my favorite hunting, just having a bad year this year.

Mike

1) where at in NC are you, i'm around concord, but i hunt in anson mostly.

2) check this guy out, deathcardcalls.com his name is Thomas Haynes...he's got some great stuff, here's some of the calls he made me. $48 to my door

005-1.jpg

the pics just don't do them justice! tell him that adam sent you =]

I am in raleigh,And am looking for experienced hunters to start me out or novices to learn with never actually killed a coyote before .:eek:

1) where at in NC are you, i'm around concord, but i hunt in anson mostly.

2) check this guy out, deathcardcalls.com his name is Thomas Haynes...he's got some great stuff, here's some of the calls he made me. $48 to my door

005-1.jpg

the pics just don't do them justice! tell him that adam sent you =]
+1. Thomas builds some great calls.Mucho better than any production call.

if you are still wanting to do the electronic caller go to Coyote Calling with Free MP3 Sounds. check out the caller he built. i recently put on together and have about $65 in it. it works great...we used it a couple weeks ago for the first time and called two dogs out of a river bottom. we lost shooting light, so no kill...but i was impressed with the call. i do alot of mouth calling also. i just like the thought of me actually calling up dogs not someone else on an mp3. i am at fort bragg/fayetteville if you want to get together sometime and i'll show you what we use. im not sure how it is around raliegh...but around here we got alot of hog farms...so i just recently got a pig sqealer to see if itll work...ill let you know after this weekend. feel free to email me [email protected]

Gemcat,
If I was you,(which I was back 34 yrs ago) I would just start with a couple hand calls, learn to use them and it might surprise you how well they may work for you.

Yotefever mention using the Crit'R'Calls, that's the calls I would of mention too. I have used the "peewee" call for many many years...works darn good. I am still using it too.

Although I do have a 3 electronic callers, I am still using my mouth calls more.

I have a Preymaster and it's a solid unit. However they have a newer model with built in speaker that is smaller and easier to carry. That remote speaker on the Preymaster is another thing to carry around. I put mine on a snap-link and hook the speaker to my fanny pack or back pack for quick and easy deployment when I move into a stand. Less movement that way.

To be honest though, about half the time I leave it behind and just carry my mouth calls, which always go with me regardless of whether I have the Preymaster or not.

The Foxpro series are good callers too, but more expensive.

The most use I get from a Preymaster is locating coyotes with howling. The howling sound on my card is very good and saves me from blowing my guts out as much. Once in a stand though, I prefer mouth calls. In heavy wind the electronic is nice, but I rarely hunt in that much wind anyway.

I can't knock electronic calls, I own one and use it. But they are an investment, and more to lug around. Here in CO, alot of my hunting requires me to park in a designated area and walk long distances, so that caller gets to be noticable.

If you don't mind dropping the change on it, and don't mind carrying it around the field, they are nice luxuries to have.

Lastly- I have called more songdogs to mouth calls than the electronic. That could be due to any number of factors of course, but I've just noticed better success with mouth calls.

I have the preymaster digital and love it. It has 60 feet of cord(I believe). I hunt alone 99.9% of the time and like to put the speaker away from me so the animals aren't looking/running straight at me, it gives me some latitude to move into shooting position if needed. Take a seat, strap the box on your leg for easy access and place the rifle in the shooting sticks. I got my first cat a couple weeks back on the last day of season in open woods and I think the cat would have seen me pull up to shoot if I had a call in my mouth, it was coming in on a string. I carry a howler as well and it gets alot of use. I like the electric call also because when I see a critter coming in I can turn it down low and keep them coming, then when I want them to stop I just turn it off. Usually stops them for at least a few seconds.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.