Best manual coyote calls?

No doubt, use a decoy. Whether it be a feather or the latest rabbit imitation. I have had so many encounters where they come in close and just stare mesmerized. It takes their attention off you. Therefore it gives you a few more seconds before they figure it out. I always use one, even at night.

I've used/use both manual and electronic calls, I prefer the hand calls as you can control the coyote better. You can kind of steer a coyote by calling left or right as needed, doesn't work all the time but enough to keep me trying. The advice that I give when asked what call to use is go to the sporting goods store and see what they are selling then order something different. I know that callers sound different with the same call but the tone is usually the same but if I'm using a different brand than anyone else in my area it should be a different tone than the coyotes have heard before. The best call out there is probably just kissing the base of your thumbnail to produce rodent squeaks, on a quiet day I've watched coyotes come in from over a half a mile away by doing that.

No doubt, use a decoy. Whether it be a feather or the latest rabbit imitation. I have had so many encounters where they come in close and just stare mesmerized. It takes their attention off you. Therefore it gives you a few more seconds before they figure it out. I always use one, even at night.
thanks guys, just getting into coyote/fox hunting and I want to give myself the best chance. I think I will be purchasing some mouth calls as well based on some of the views here.

Try Orion calls, he is on the net and is a class act. I have used his calls for several years and they just work... I only shoot 40 to 60 coyotes a season but I use Orion calls 90% of the time. My FoxPro works some but it seems everyone uses one and our coyotes know the FoxPro sounds...

If you have a single reed duck call take the mouth piece off and use it as an open reed call. It will make the same sounds as a lot of the predator calls on the market with some practice.

Talley-go is a favorite. I like some of the Dan Thompson calls as well....pc-3 and pc-4. I have a custom howler that sounds really good. An old boy out of SD was selling them at the Stock show in Rapid City. Made out of kitchen counter top...Formica I believe. Sounds pretty nice and something not every Tom, Sick, and Harry has.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.