most effective manual Coyote calls

Josh Wayner

have had success with a Johnny Stewart call this past year, but the thing was only around $10. perhaps it is that i am using this cheap call with limited sound options that i have not been able to attact that many coyotes. i am not in the market for an electronic call, but am in the market for higher-quality calls. i live in west michigan, so any other callers from the area please feel free to add on.

My philosophy seems to be if it makes noise I buy it. I have predator calls from many manufacturers among other calls. If you are just starting out you'll find that closed reed calls are easier to learn and blow with consistency. Practice with any new calls you get. Remember, an amateur practices until he gets it right, and a pro practices until he can't get it wrong.

I like calls a lot and therefore buy a lot of them. If it looks interesting I'll try it. I have diaphragm calls that I can do distress noises or yips with. I use turkey calls on occasion, even some bird calls. I have yet to venture into some of the "custom" calls or the guys out there making calls on their own. I'd like to start getting some of them into my collection.

Hey Josh, I'm in Holland. I called in a double last winter with a Death Cry II. It's made here in Michigan. I sent you a PM with our local forum.

Critr' Call Standard, Critr' Call Song Dog, TT Extreme, Carver Rubber Rabbit, most custom calls by Tony Tebbe, Carver, etc.

The trick here is to not use what everyone else is using...

E.L.K. inc howlers are very good and easy to use, I've gotten rid of all my other howlers. I use all kinds of rabbit in distress calls, doesn't seem to matter what brand just how you run it.

Take a look at Kettle Creek Calls too. Like others have said, closed reeds are easier to learn but get an open reed too and practice.

I have a bunch of older Circe calls and love them. I use a diaphram for howls. Not sure about how the newer circe calls by lohman work but I would say give em a try. There really easy to use and hard to screw up. But like was said earlier practice a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.