Cost of full custom rifle but on budget?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Bigeclipse, Jul 18, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Ingwe

Ingwe Well-Known Member

I think that allot of us here have “made a silk purse out of a sows ear” and have been pretty happy with the results.

2. extreme

extreme Well-Known Member

This topic has come up so many times and its always the same answers. My answer is if you cant afford at least $ 4,600.00 to as much as 8 9 or 10.00 thousand dollars for the word custom then stay away from it. Just ask Len for the cost of one of his rifles and you will very quickly see CUSTOM means big MONEY. There are a few very good factory rifles built today that are very impressive. Again just my opinion after 55 years of building and buying hundreds of rifles. Good luck.

3. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

Huh?

Vortex! likes this.
  4. Eptphil

Eptphil Member

Does anyone know where I can buy a Sako or Tikka action?

5. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I've tried to get just the actions and the largest importer can't even pull just actions, if we could it would be unreal!!!

6. Ronald W Schaefer

Ronald W Schaefer Well-Known Member

Don't know about "budget" but I have three of the Fierce Firearms CT Carbon edge--weight about 5 pounds before scope--about 6.25 # with optics. 1/2 MOA with factory ammo guaranteed from factory or they'll work you up a load and give you the recipe.
    http://www.fiercearms.com/
    Do you really want/need a custom? I have a SAKO 85 in .260 Rem that shoots between 1/2 to 3/4 MOA with no magic whatsoever...just right out of the box...so there's that:)!

7. John Klingenberg

John Klingenberg Well-Known Member

I just finished ordering my stuff for a savage custom in 224 valkyrie. 1965.00 was my total with scope but for a hunting rig you should be able to save several hundreds of dollars. I do my work myself so no gunsmith fees. But for the most part its plug and play anyway. Started with a savage 12fv. Opened a 223 boltface or you can order them for about 80.00. MDT Chasis 400.00 on sale. Hart varmint stainless barrel pre-fit 24", 6 twist with a longer throat for the 88 to 100 grain bullets seated farther out. The lead time at Shilen and Northland is 16 weeks, pretty much every big maker i tried is at that lead time. Hart estimated 8 weeks so I went with them. 20 MOA rail for 120.00, AI mags and scope.

8. John Klingenberg

John Klingenberg Well-Known Member

Barrel was 525.00

9. Kimber7man

Kimber7man Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Forgot trigger and bottom metal.

10. Eptphil

Eptphil Member

How does Fierce Firearms get theirs?

11. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Fierce is a clone made in Canada.

John 264 likes this.
  12. ranger3

ranger3 Well-Known Member

My .02, I have used savage target actions on a few customs. That being said I'd buy a Tikka in the caliber you want, rebarrel and put into a KRG stock. you're going to be at 90 % or better of what a good custom will do. It may even shoot as well as a custom without the barrel.

13. Tatsnscoots

Tatsnscoots Well-Known Member

You can go to Shaw precision guns.com and order a custom rifle off a savage action for +/- $1500. I was going to go this route at one time and then got side tracked. I don’t know anyone who has one of these rifles but online reviews look promising.

14. shiples0861

shiples0861 Well-Known Member

My point is if you have a "budget", which I'm assuming he is talking around $2,500 or less, you are not going to get anything more out of buying a bunch of individual parts (i.e. barrel, action, stock, trigger) and putting them together vs. buying a really nice factory rifle for $1,500.

Manufacturers are making stuff better than they ever have. Any off the shelf rifle now comes with a "1 moa" guarantee (not saying a Savage Axis or Remington 770 is better than a custom rifle, just that they shoot just as good as a $1,000 rifle did 15 years ago). If you expect to get a custom rifle guaranteed for 1/4 moa, by some really obscure custom rifle builder, then you ain't gonna get it for $2,500. More like 5k. The originator of this thread says he wants to shoot deer at a couple hundred yards. Unless he just WANTS to spend more money, then I think his time and money would be better spent buying a very high quality factory rifle for what's he's stated he needs it to do. I've done both.

Turnbolt53 and Tatsnscoots like this.