Cost of full custom rifle but on budget?

I really like doing quality budget builds, pretty much narrowed it down to a Tikka, straight action, straight bolt, great trigger, no extra crap and excellent design, I love building on them with a quality barrel and drop into a quality stock and sell of the parts and be done. Build a lot of Sherman shorts and WSM's and of everything I've built with it's hard pressed to surpass the Tikka action for a quality budget build, I won't use a Remington anymore for these or a Savage.
Where is the best place to find a Tikka or Sako doner rifle?

gunbroker, pawn shop, cabelas. just burned my cabelas points to get a 300wsm tikka for a 257 saum build. if you can get them under 400 you're doing great, most are 450-500 because of the demand on them now. Might get lucky at a pawn shop or used gun shop and have cash ready to deal.

All,
I want a custom rifle built but as my title states im on a budget. I do not have an exact budget in mind but am starting to save. My original thought was to buy a cooper rifle but now im thinking I may just go custom depending on costs. What can I expect? This will be a handy rifle and not a dedicated long range. I am thinking along the lines of a sporter type weight in a sporter style stock. I am mostly concerned about accuracy and weight and do not need ultra fancy (such as custom milling of bolts and barrels and such for appearance sake). So what do you think the cost would be for a reputable company to build me this rifle? I am thinking something in a Remington 700 style action. Mcmillan stock would be sweet but they are expensive so not sure if there are other budget friendly options which are almost as nice. I definitely do not want a wood stock as this rifle will be carried in dense woods. I think id prefer stainless but not settled on that. Caliber is also not decided but is between 6.5prc, 6.5x284, 280, 280ai. Game will be 99% whitetails with a very rare opportunity on a black bear. I do not hunt for black bear direct but if one comes by during deer season, id take one so let's focus on that. This rifle MUST be sub 1 MOA out to 500 yards and would prefer closer to .5MOA. So what do you think im looking at for costs and which companies should I look into to build me this rifle? Thanks!

Didn't you just start this thread?

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...mpaign=ed1369&utm_content=iss171#post-1675793

rem sells a great action for around 600.00 they work great. if I remember they are squared up for that price.

Last edited:
A remington 700 is already capable of 1 MOA, mine puts 1/2 also depending on what you charge. If the weapon has 1/2 MOA at 100 yards, it has 1/2 MOA at 500 yards, it's a corner measurement. The rest is the wind etc ... so for around $ 800 you have this weapon, lack telescope etc .... good hunting.

On a Budget??
Just Buy a factory Bergara "Ridge" Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor caliber,,
and Buy a Leupold 2-10x 42 Scope .
You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Buy a lightly used custom. Save thousands.

I purchased a semi-custom for about $1500 less than build cost.

.260 Rem
R700SA trued
PT&G .250" recoil lug
26" 1:8" Bartlein #3b
McMillan Game Scout
PT&G Oberndorf BDL bottom metal
Timney 510 @ 1.5#
Seekins 20MOA Picatinny rail
Vortex PMR 35mm rings
Vortex Razor 5-20×50
140 rounds fired
Came with full set of Redding comp dies

Build cost with scope was $4500
I paid $3000 with scope
Sold the scope for $1500
So had the rifle in hand for $1500
Way ahead of the game.

Put a S&B PMII 3-20×50 on it
Bought some Lapua brass
Already had a bunch of H4350, CCI BR-2, and 140 HVLDs.

It's excellent. But my remington with homemade cartridges does the same thing at the exit of the box.

All,
I want a custom rifle built but as my title states im on a budget. I do not have an exact budget in mind but am starting to save. My original thought was to buy a cooper rifle but now im thinking I may just go custom depending on costs. What can I expect? This will be a handy rifle and not a dedicated long range. I am thinking along the lines of a sporter type weight in a sporter style stock. I am mostly concerned about accuracy and weight and do not need ultra fancy (such as custom milling of bolts and barrels and such for appearance sake). So what do you think the cost would be for a reputable company to build me this rifle? I am thinking something in a Remington 700 style action. Mcmillan stock would be sweet but they are expensive so not sure if there are other budget friendly options which are almost as nice. I definitely do not want a wood stock as this rifle will be carried in dense woods. I think id prefer stainless but not settled on that. Caliber is also not decided but is between 6.5prc, 6.5x284, 280, 280ai. Game will be 99% whitetails with a very rare opportunity on a black bear. I do not hunt for black bear direct but if one comes by during deer season, id take one so let's focus on that. This rifle MUST be sub 1 MOA out to 500 yards and would prefer closer to .5MOA. So what do you think im looking at for costs and which companies should I look into to build me this rifle? Thanks!
Call me and we can figure out what you want I am the gunsmith for armed in America FIREARMS in bulverde TX I have been building custom rifles for 20 years (830-438-5837) I am in the shop from 9:30 -4:30 Monday through Friday John Maike gunsmith

All,
I have a Remington Model 7 in 7mm.08 that is extremely accurate and is approximately $1200. The stock is a laminate wood that holds up in all weather and terrain. I did add a muzzle break but it was really not necessary in that caliber. They just recently announced that they are reintroducing the Model 7 in a stainless steel version that really peaked my interest. The stock is a B&C composite. A great call for a carry all day whitetail rifle.

So,
This probably isnt even worth me taking the time to write it as it was probably the wrong way to do things.
But maybe someone can tell me that and why also.
I have done 2 this way:
Buy the Rem 700 action on a place like gunbroker ($350)
Get a McGowan barrel (or who ever you choose) I got one for around ($350(?) then one for ($800). They give a 10% mil/vet/le discount. Even if there is also a sale going on.
Then I used the Hunter 700 stock from Magpul ($225)
Gunsmith to install the barrel and chamber it to 7RUM / 28 Nosler was ($300).
So I am at $1225 for the first one being the 7RUM.
I am looking at a different action for my 3rd one but I already have the Mcgowan barrel.
The 2 rifles shoot great for me and I am not pro. Just 10 shots in a dime at 1000 yards. (Haha!)
2017 - Colorado antelope @ 250 and elk @ 469.

Scrounge around the pawn shops in your area and find a rem 700 adl synthetic. Cheapest 700 ever made. Probably get one for 300 bucks. Scrape everything but the action. I wouldn't even worry about trueing it. Pick your favorite barrel brand and get a remage cut barrel and nut. Timney 510 trigger. Stockys carbon sporter stock.
Rem action 300.00
Remage barrel and nut approx 450.00
Timney 140.00
Stockys carbon fiber stock 450.00

1340.00 fish
Get good glass in classifieds for several hundo less than new price, say a grand ?

Good rings and base, let's round that to 160 bucks to make an even 2400.00 for a scoped light weight, tack driver.
I did basically the same thing, but cheaped out on the barrel and nut for 340.00, and a 170.00 Boyd's laminated feather weight stock. Paid 560.00 for an athlon midas tac 6-24×50. Very nice glass for half the price of a better known brand.
In 6.5 creedmoor, its threatening to be a 1/4 moa fly wing remover. Shoots 1,/2 moa with factory fodder.

All,

You have received some excellent advice. After finishing 2 recent builds my 2 cents are
1. Don't true a factory action (making a silk purse out of a sow's ear). A little extra & buy one built right 1st time. Won't recommend as there are several good choices.
2. If not using a well known gunsmith make sure you get several references & check them out good.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts