Cost of full custom rifle but on budget?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Bigeclipse, Jul 18, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. .300 Dakota

.300 Dakota Well-Known Member

I will admit, I just attached my first Archangel to a Howa in 257 Wby Mag. I am impressed with the way this feels and my ability to get on target quickly. The balance is superb. I have had few Howa's out of several that would deliver much below 1 MOA is my only gripe. I've had 2 or 3 that went WAY sub-1/2 MOA, but they seem to be an exception rather than rule. I found this brand new in package archangel for $150! Bought a 10-round magazine. An 11-round tactical .257 Wby is a pretty amazing weapon! Most accurate cartridge of all time with the Howa was a .375 Ruger limited production gun in a Hogue pillar-bedded stock.

2. comen

comen Active Member

Find a used rifle in 06, or 308...$300-400, $170 wilson barrel from Ragged Hole, and bell and carlson stock. You should be able to find a gunsmith to thread, turn and chamber the the barrel blank for $250 or so and end up around $1K

3. zzchipster

zzchipster Active Member LRH Team Member

Just bought sako m591 varmint in 7mm08...can find these in many med action calibers...pd 900 for one in 98%...put shv 3-14-50 ffp for 1150...about 2k all in......

Marc Gauthier likes this.
  4. Turnbolt53

Turnbolt53 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I could not agree more, including the 4 reasons you stated.

With so many accurate off-the-shelf rifles at low low low prices, and so many quality high-end production rifles under 2K, spending 5K on a great custom makes very little sense FOR A HUNTER.

And spending 2K on a budget build maybe makes even less sense, as you don't even get the bragging rights :rolleyes: and you surely won't get the resale value.

If the 2K build doesn't turn out PERFECT in your eyes, be prepared to sell it at a 50% loss and do it again, because once you start it is hard to stop.

FOR A HUNTER there are just too many great factory rifles options out there that can be tweaked to near-perfection to make building a full-custom worthwhile.

Don A Parsons and Marc Gauthier like this.
  5. John 264

John 264 Well-Known Member

first of all if you don't want a gun to shoot to its best ability you go and find someone who calls him self a gunsmith and spend that $250.00 and you will have your tomato stake
    or you can have a good gunsmith with all the tools who knows how to use them and have the action trued and quality barrel in stalled
    Action truing will run $450.00 to $900.00 and the THREADING and chamber and cut crowned and barrel indexed will cost $450.00 I would have the barrel cryo
    I would have the barreled action stress free bedded $275.00 to $400.00
    The stock should be fit to the customer for length of pull and good recoil pad around $200.00
    If the stock needs to be fit and finished 250.00 and up
    And then you will have a gun that will shoot better than 99.5% of the shooter out there
    For mid to long range the scope for easy use is a Huskemaw 4 - 16 $1199.00 or a 5-20 for $1499.00
    So what I am saying is stay away from cheap barrels and installing them yourself or using a so called gunsmith who is self taught or youtuber(if you screw up you could kill your self or the guy next to you at the range
    So be smart and spend the money 1 time and you will be happy and never look back

Don A Parsons likes this.
  6. Toolhand

Toolhand Well-Known Member

For the money a fierce fury is a nice rifle.
    Fits a lot of the criteria you listed such as stainless, nice stock, an adjustable trigger, 1/2 moa guarantee and chambered in 6.5 Prc.
    Hard to beat for 2k

Turnbolt53, Weatherby Fan and Eptphil like this.
  7. greenejc

greenejc Well-Known Member

I agree with .300 Dakota on about all counts. I have a Remington ADL that I won in a raffle in Lubbock Texas in 1998. Its a .300 winmag and it regularly shoots 0.6 to 0.8 inch groups at 100 yards. The only thing I've done to it is adjust the trigger. I have a Ruger M77Mk II that shoots about 0.75 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Again, I've put a Timney trigger in it, and that's all. My 1903A3 shoots about the same and nothing has been done to it but to add the scope and mounts. My 35 Whelen can shoot 0.5 inch 5 shot groups with 225 grain Sierra Gamekings and its a factory Remington CDL. The only thing I've done to it is adjust the trigger. I have several other Remington and Ruger rifles, ADLs, SPSes and M77s or No 1 and they all shoot inside an inch or tighter. I'm willing to bet that if you buy a Ruger Hawkeye Hunter in 300 winmag, it will easily shoot 0.75 inch groups with just a trigger adjustment. The stock on this rifle is adjustable for pull length and the trigger is easily adjustable. And any Remington 700 in just about any caliber will do the same. But I'd check out their M700 Long Range. Also, blueprinting isn't always necessary. If you take a match and smoke the lugs on the bolt and then close the bolt, you can get a read on how much contact each lug is making, and if both lugs are getting more than 1/2 of their surface in good contact, that's going to be a good lock-up. Also, don't free float the rifle until you've seen how it shoots. Some rifles, like the Ruger M77 series, are designed to have some upward pressure on the barrel. Mine shoots best with about 50 inch/pds of pressure on the front mounting bolt, giving an upward pressure on the barrel about 1 inch back from the front of the stock. Monday before last, I placed three rounds in the bull at 100 yards, and they went into 0.5 inches with this rifle. Its a 30-06 and the load was IMR 4350, Remington primer and Sierra 180 grain Pro Hunter. Brass was FC.

Frog4aday likes this.
  8. Royal Knight

Royal Knight Well-Known Member

Good looking rifles. Who done your work? Those are nice.

9. Weatherby Fan

Weatherby Fan Well-Known Member

Gary Flach in Langley BC Canada
    He’s an excellent Gunsmith,
    CRF actions are kind of his specialty or preferred action, he’s also excellent with modifying CF stocks, and making wood stocks from blanks, he does some amazing work for sure.

Don A Parsons and jmcmath like this.
  10. jmcmath

jmcmath Well-Known Member

Are you in Canada? What’s the process for having a Canadian Smith work on a rifle from US

11. Kimber7man

Kimber7man Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Good call! I had my gunsmith build me a 6.5 PRC on the 8400. Great thing about the Montana WSM is it has a 3.05” mag box which is plenty long for the PRC/WSM/SAUM and long heavy bullets. Picked up a well used 300 WSM Montana, got a Rock Creek 5R cut rifled #2 contour 8 twist barrel, and had him spin it up and also skim bed and bed the recoil lug.
    Kimber $699 used
    Rock Creek barrel $300 off classifieds
    Gunsmith $300

Total $1300. Looks like this and shoots factory 147’s like this (rounds 4-7 thru barrel):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Weatherby Fan

Just ship the rifle through your FFL
    Same as if your buying one across the line.

13. Weatherby Fan

Here's a cpl more pictures of my latest Kimber Montana 8400 300 PRC, (300 win mag donor) just waiting for a Zeiss V6 5-30X50 scope to mount on it.

My gunsmith opened up the mag box to 3.75" as well as the bottom of the action,
    Action Trued & Squared, factory trigger set at 2.5lbs, Palm Swell and High Comb added to the Montana Stock, he had to open up the barrel channel so it was reinforced with Kevlar, Painted a dark green with multi colour speckles, all metal coated with Black Gunkote
    26" SS 5R 1-9.5 twist Fluted Benchmark #4 Contour Barrel.
    gun weighs 7lbs 3.6oz on its own so should be 9lbs scoped

Costs converted to USD
    Used Kimber Donor rifle $780.00
    Benchmark Fluted Barrel $390.00
    Gunsmith. $520.00
    Total cost. $1690.00
    if you just bead blast barrel and action, don't paint the stock or add palm swell and comb and get a non fluted barrel you could cut costs by about $300

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don A Parsons and Turnbolt53 like this.
  14. Turnbolt53

Turnbolt53 Well-Known Member

Can't see how you could do any better.