Cost of full custom rifle but on budget?

If it were me I'd buy a used long action 700 with the proper bolt face for the cartridge you choose and have it rebarreled. I paid 300$ for my 243 years ago and after I wore out the barrel I had Hart rifle barrels in Lafayette NY put a 26" varmint contour 260 rem barrel on it for about 700$. Then you could just buy whatever stock you want and upgrade the trigger maybe. A Remington timney is about $120. Could get a b&c stock for under 300. Then just rings, a base, and a scope. Luckily my favorite stock is the factory vls one so I picked up one of those for less than $100
Oh if buying a used rifle to start you don't need to look for a mag well and bottom metal

I've built a few low budget "customs" and because they were low budget I went with a barrel with a nut. (think savage or remage) I prefer Remage for stocks and triggers that are available. SUPER EASY to do at home if you are at all mechanically inclined, just need a torque wrench, savage barrel tool, vice, & of coarse go/no-go gauges for the caliber you put together. If I'm going super low brow I'll even get a used stock or a blem. I've yet to build one that shot more than .75moa and two have been .5moa or less when I'm having a good day. :) For out to 500 yards I wouldn't even bother with a fancy or trued action. Nice, YES. Needed, not really. So it goes something like this...

Factory R700 action from grab-a-gun $280-340 (305 short action blue)
Barrel (McGown, BHW, Criterian, etc) $280-350 (300 Criterian)
Trigger Tech (special down to 1 lb) $150-180 (primary is 1.5-4 pounds for 150)
Bell & Carlson M40 stock $180-275 (used 180-200)
Odds & Ends (lug & nut) $50-75

So for about 1000 I have exactly what I want in a rifle. If you can live with a stock trigger and a used stock and wait for a sale on the barrel that number can be as low as 650-700 but that is the cheapest I'd say. Aluminum "V" blocks or pillars avoid the whole processes of having to bed the action but I still think a bedded action is best personally. Now add your scope & mount and your done. Again on a budget for 500 yards or less I'd go with a DNZ one piece aluminum mount $60 and a Ziess 3-9x40 Terra 3 when they are on sale for $299.

First time build tools cost about $50 for gauges, $30 for wrench, torque wrench (beam type) $20.

The cheapest I've ever done is right at 1000 ready for the woods but to save money that one was in an ADL Bell & Carlson light hunter stock (used) because bottom metal adds to the cost especially if you want to go with a removable mag.

Don't get me wrong, I like my nice toys but for rummaging through the brush I like to keep it simple and inexpensive. However not ever rifle needs to have a brux barrel on it and a nightforce on top. (heat up the tar and prep the feathers now)

With all the custom actions on the market today, rifles can get real spendy. 20 years ago, if you went to Bench Rest Match, 90% of the actions used, were Remington. Take a Remington bolt and receiver, put a custom trigger and barrel on it, and you have your rifle.

All,
I want a custom rifle built but as my title states im on a budget. I do not have an exact budget in mind but am starting to save. My original thought was to buy a cooper rifle but now im thinking I may just go custom depending on costs. What can I expect? This will be a handy rifle and not a dedicated long range. I am thinking along the lines of a sporter type weight in a sporter style stock. I am mostly concerned about accuracy and weight and do not need ultra fancy (such as custom milling of bolts and barrels and such for appearance sake). So what do you think the cost would be for a reputable company to build me this rifle? I am thinking something in a Remington 700 style action. Mcmillan stock would be sweet but they are expensive so not sure if there are other budget friendly options which are almost as nice. I definitely do not want a wood stock as this rifle will be carried in dense woods. I think id prefer stainless but not settled on that. Caliber is also not decided but is between 6.5prc, 6.5x284, 280, 280ai. Game will be 99% whitetails with a very rare opportunity on a black bear. I do not hunt for black bear direct but if one comes by during deer season, id take one so let's focus on that. This rifle MUST be sub 1 MOA out to 500 yards and would prefer closer to .5MOA. So what do you think im looking at for costs and which companies should I look into to build me this rifle? Thanks!
Here is a sleeper suggestion. Barrett Firearms' Fieldcraft is a very lightweight (5.1-5.75lbs), accurate, smooth, tough little rifle ready to go for under $1900 MSRP.....available for as low as $1500. Barrels threaded for can or brake or not 18"-24" in 416 Stainless bedded in hand laid carbon fiber stock; 10 calibers...270, 30-06, 7mm-08, 6.5 x 55, .308, 6.5CM, 243,...; Skip all the work and time and enjoy shooting, packing a great rifle. Barrett is known for their precision of manufacturing, design, functionality.

All,
I want a custom rifle built but as my title states im on a budget. I do not have an exact budget in mind but am starting to save. My original thought was to buy a cooper rifle but now im thinking I may just go custom depending on costs. What can I expect? This will be a handy rifle and not a dedicated long range. I am thinking along the lines of a sporter type weight in a sporter style stock. I am mostly concerned about accuracy and weight and do not need ultra fancy (such as custom milling of bolts and barrels and such for appearance sake). So what do you think the cost would be for a reputable company to build me this rifle? I am thinking something in a Remington 700 style action. Mcmillan stock would be sweet but they are expensive so not sure if there are other budget friendly options which are almost as nice. I definitely do not want a wood stock as this rifle will be carried in dense woods. I think id prefer stainless but not settled on that. Caliber is also not decided but is between 6.5prc, 6.5x284, 280, 280ai. Game will be 99% whitetails with a very rare opportunity on a black bear. I do not hunt for black bear direct but if one comes by during deer season, id take one so let's focus on that. This rifle MUST be sub 1 MOA out to 500 yards and would prefer closer to .5MOA. So what do you think im looking at for costs and which companies should I look into to build me this rifle? Thanks!

Here is my spill. I have built three like this. Rem 700 Trued Action, McGowen Precision Barrel, Mac Gunworks Precision Brake, Standard Rem Mark XPro Trigger ( Comes with the action) . Magpul 700 Stock ( I just bed the recoil lug) Burris XTR II Scope. Rifle ~ $1200, Scope $800. I would chamber in either 270 Win 1 - 8 twist so you can shoot the 170 Bergers EOL bullets or 284 Win Custom Chamber 1* 8 twist with a long throat on a long action you can shoot the 195 EOL Either one will do it they are easily sub MOA Both built out with same specs. Remage actions because I later you want to do a 6.5 -284 just buy a barrel get some head space gauges and switch out barrels.
IMG_0644.JPEG
IMG_0753.jpeg

Why do you feel like you want or need to spend the money on a custom rifle? Your narrative screams good factory rifle.

Based on your needs and budget I would buy a Sako or Tikka (these rifles don't leave the factory unless they are sub MOA) and get a stock from Manners or McMillan if you feel the need... put the rest of your money into good glass.

You do not need an exotic or wildcat round for your purposes. You have not mentioned reloading and you have to understand some of that ammo is hard to find and pricey.

For what you intend to do you might consider a 6.5 CM or 7mm-08. BTW the 6.5 CM ELDX fly really well... mine is shooting one ragged hole. Both of these are short actions which will translate to less weight and you can have a shorter barrel... 20 or 22" barrel should be fine.

You should not need a brake for either of these.

Last edited:
Short action tikkas should translate to more weight if anything. Only difference is extra metal on the bolt stop, extra metal on bolt face if it's standard Vs magnum and extra plastic in the magazine

Ive built about 40 rifles and the most cost effective way to build a poor mans Custom rifle is grab an used Kimber Montana in your desired action length, 84M, 84L or 8400wsm or 8400 Long Action,
They have an excellent adjustable trigger, and all stainless action and a Kevlar/Carbon Fibre stock so it has all the components in one package other than a barrel,

buy your self a #2 Contour Bartlein, Benchmark or HawkHill barrel and have your Gunsmith.......

True,Square and bed the Action
Lighten the trigger to 2.5lbs
Chamber barrel to your desired caliber and your all set with an excellent all stainless lightweight custom hunting rifle.

Probably no more than 1400-1500 dollars all in depending on the price of the donor rifle, barrel and labour

Ive built several with the Montana as a donor and they are 2nd to none as a hunting rifle, here's my latest 300 PRC on a Montana 8400 LA I just picked up this morning

You can also use a Tikka T3x or Sako A7 which is a good platform but there stocks aren't the best, other than that they are a great donor.

Hers a 6.5 PRC built on a Montana 8400 WSM donor

Heres my first 300 PRC built on a Montana 8400 LA

Heres a pair of 6.5-284s built on Montana 84L actions

Here's my sheep hunting rig 6.5-284 built on a Montana 84M short action

What did you do to get the check piece on the factory Kimber stocks? i much prefer a higher cheek.

Easiest and most cost effective route to achieve the end result you're looking for may be to buy the appropriate Tikka T3x and have it rebarreled, chambered and a brake installed by one of the many gunsmiths on this forum.

Why install a brake?

All,

My take on "full custom" build starts with a custom action manufacturers (Stiller, Deviant, BHA, etc) and custom components like @Tangent addressed in #5. Customized build is using donor action from major rifle manufacturers (Remington, Savage, Tikka, etc.). Your budget depends highly on components and gunsmithing cost.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.