Cost of a Custom Rifle with Glass

For hunting practicality, why would one spend more on a custom to get less accuracy? For thousands more, I cannot justify buying anything that won't do better than a Sauer 100 can do. Now if you just want to spend thousands more, Sauer does make rifles with all the custom type bells, whistles and features any kind of stock. But for me this is fancy enough.
I agree with you somewhat.The rifle you have is NOT the standard for 99 percent of factory made hunting rifles.Almost all of them are 1 inch at 100 yards which means they probably shoot you a pattern at 1,000 not 1 to 4 inches at 1,000 that's the main reason people build a dedicated competition rifle. And it's a blast watching these guys hit steel (coyote size and smaller at 1,000 all day long
And I'm sure they love their sport just as much or more than most of us

Just finished two full customs. Both using terminus actions. One is a on an XLR chassis with heavy steel barrel total rig weighs 20# with optics. Other one is my mountain hunting rifle 7# with no optic /sling / bipod (manners stock, Proof CF barrel, TT, Hawkins bottom metal, etc, etc)

Both rigs without optics, bipods, slings, dies, brass, etc….just the bare rifle were about $4500/ea. Add my ZCO, bipods, slings, dies, etc to my chassis build and it's about $10k

Definitely could buy something factory for a hell of a lot less and likely get close to same accuracy but I enjoy the process of the build and spec'ing it exactly the way I want. 🤷

Although I will never own a $8,000 to $10, 000 dollar rifle /scope combo, I have great appreciation for those beautiful rifles and admire those who own them. I completely enjoy the rifles I own. My pet deer rifle, Weatherby Ultralight, in .270 Win. was purchased used for $1000.00 about 12 years ago, from Gander Mountain, in Scotland, Pa. I put a Leupold VX3 2.5 to 8X it right away . I loved right from the beginning, but that does not prevent me from admiring the Griffin and Howe custom .270 Win , with the Quarter rib, with soft Rust Bluing, on fantastic wood, they would take to many shows in our area for $19,000. I could stare at it for an hour!!! For me it's very similar to the appreciation I have for many Ferrari and Lamborghini models, while I remain in the dollar bracket that allows me to own and enjoy Corvettes. One can admire and appreciate the custom Rifles and dream about pride of ownership. I hope the men and women who own and shoot them really love them too!!

Not to say anything negative on 700 Actions. They are great if squared/trued. We have Factory 700s that shoot GREAT. Look at what every other Action Manufacture copies off of.
You have a really nice build that anyone would love to have, and we will BET you a box of bullets, that you will be enjoying a day at the range shooting some bugholes more than siting home watching Oprah on the TV. :D
What cartridge, bullet, barrel twist are you shooting?
If we can help you out in the future let us know.
God Bless
Len & Jill
You're exactly right. I have 3 rifles with 700 actions. I do enjoy every range day with them too! Well, I am still waiting for my latest one. I am a 300 win guy. My latest will be shooting a 185gr Berger, 1-10tw out of a 22" barrel. I really like the Impact 787 action and am pondering doing a 7mm mag set up for the 195's. Not sure on what tw to go with yet or barrel for that matter,….. something to be said about a custom action though. When you feel how smooth it is and how it feeds just makes you want one even more! Thank you for the reply and post!

I can remember many years ago when I would see someone purchase a nice Rem 700 CDL or Winchester Model 70 for the $400-$500 range which is in todays money$1,200, $1,500 and then buy a cheap Weaver (Weaver was top scopes years ago) for $69.0 and thought the Scopes were great. And the Tasco & Simmons came out for $49.00. Would not even think of spending the same cost of the rifle for glass. Later on Leupold was way outpriced. for a hunting rifle.
My father in law worked at BasPro in the Firearm Department. Now Bill my father in law knew his Rifles and Scopes - He is what I call a coinsure of Arms. When he sold a rifle he would always advise the buyer on some nice scopes to match the firearm, but most of the time they would elect to go with a very inexpensive scope.
The things that the other staff member were doing was applinglning as far as advive and then incorrect mounting of the scope.

Last edited:
I think I'm 11k all in on my full build 7-08 .
My ar10 with nightforce glass back on top is probably in the 10k range. And the current build is stacking up $$ fast . Kelby action $1550 and tax. Trigger tech Dimond at $400 , proof carbon barrel just under $800 . Bottom metal a few hundred . Haven't decided on stock but call it 1500 plus bedding at a few hundred .mounts and rings are always a few hundred . Then there's the scope between 3 and 5 k depending . The gunsmith is likely atleast 1 k or more depending on break or suppressor . Probably do both just incase I need to take it to a state that doesn't allow cans . It's easy to break 10k mark . Just don't tell my wife !!!

I have some great rifles but could never spend $8000 on one. i just built two 6.8 Westerns for under $2000. I bought a 270 WSM Winchester 70 Coyote for $600 and added a SS Brux 6.8 Western target barrel for $300. It is a beautiful rifle, one that I am very proud of. The other one is a 7mm WSM Winchester 70 Shadow for $400 and added a SS Brux 6.8 Western hunting barrel. I shoot at 1000 yards, both are sub MOA. Save your money.

Wow……friggen "WOW"!

I realize that a lot has changed since 1989, but I spent more then that I could actually afford! I was going thru an impending divorce and knew it could never happen afterwards! Everything except the action was custom/aftermarket (action was from a new rifle specifically for the build) A once in a lifetime build, a "rifle for all seasons, a rifle for all reasons"! It's been my "only" hunting rifle since the build!

It cost me just under $1900.00. My "only" regret as the "crappy" teflon job and the near $200.00 spent on a muzzle brake with was thrown away within the first few months! But….mine is a hunting rifle! It was never intended for 1000+ yard shooting!

I see that many of you guys bought Ferrari/ Porsche/ Lamborghini……I bought a 4x4 truck! memtb

Last edited:
Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor. $450
Magpul stock $300
Leupold Mark IV M1 $800
Trigger job. $.50
Magpul sling. $75
Hawkins Precision rings $200

$1,825.50 and shoots 1/2" or better. Are we talking hunting or competition custom? I've spent more, alot more in the past but see no reason to now for a hunting rig. Competition custom is a entirely separate matter where the sky is the limit.

Not really. Some people just really appreciate the finer things in life. To each their own. If you hot rod an old beat up car it may beat a Ferrari in the quarter mile, but which one would you want in your garage?
If you're drag racing a Ferrari you brought a spoon to a shovel fight.
I could into extreme detail of how to tune up that Ferrari. It's labor intensive and will take one person several days to do right. Assuming that they have some rather specialized tools. And in 2500-5000 miles it will need to be done again. Extremely rare that it is the owner doing that work. They're called an "Italian Mistress" for good reason.

Give me the hot rod. It means a lot more to me to make that $500 Savage perform the same as an $8500 custom than it does to just buy that $8500 custom. Maybe I can't make it look as good as the custom, but that doesn't mean that it has to be ugly either.

let's face it this is not an inexpensive sport! You can buy a lot of factory options that are very accurate. Some folks myself include like things like pretty wood. During a slow day of hunting, you can admire your rifle and think how lucky you are! Born free in the greatest nation in the world with a beautiful rifle and the ability to feed your family wild organic meat that never saw a feed lot or slaughterhouse.

I just wish there were more controlled round feed options. I grew up with a custom Mauser and pre 64 model 70's I just can't stand the way pushed feed rifles cycle.
I can fix you up with a Interarms Mark X receiver I got not long ago, I do not have the floor plate.
What do you have to trade in a push feed receiver, I like the Rem 700 myself?