Copper Wash at Muzzle/Bore?

General RE LEE

New Tikka T3x with ~50 rounds.

Followed standard break in procedure for first 20 rounds.

Barrel has been cleaned with Hoppes only

Barrel is starting to settle and found an ammo it likes.~1" groups

I noticed at the muzzle after cleaning copper wash in the lands. Is this of concern? I know some folks say copper wash is not the same as copper buildup that hurts accuracy. Gun is shooting good right now.

Do y'all go after all copper or just shoot the gun?

A bore exist in two conditions. Fouled or clean. If you can see copper, it is not clean. like shortgrass I don't use Hoppes to clean the bore. Butch's bore shine or bore tech eliminator are my preferred solvents.

Hoppes is good for storage.

J E CUSTOM

The problem I've been having is the gun shoots well with copper streaks in the grooves. Once I remove all the copper, I have to shoot a box of ammo to get the accuracy back. I've heard some folks get out the carbon and leave the copper. It seems the opinions and methods on this are legion.

BTW I can remove copper with ease by a few patches of Kroil followed by a JB Bore Paste patch stroked through bore 20 times. This method gets everything out but requires a box of ammo sometimes more to get gun shooting tight again.

The problem I've been having is the gun shoots well with copper streaks in the grooves. Once I remove all the copper, I have to shoot a box of ammo to get the accuracy back. I've heard some folks get out the carbon and leave the copper. It seems the opinions and methods on this are legion.

Sometimes copper can help the accuracy, but with a clean barrel, better accuracy can be found with the right load. Fouling by nature is inconsistent and ever changing. A clean bore will do the same thing every time and year after year with the same load.

If it shoots the same with a fouled bore and one load and you are satisfied with the accuracy, you should keep doing what you are doing.

J E CUSTOM

BTW I can remove copper with ease by a few patches of Kroil followed by a JB Bore Paste patch stroked through bore 20 times. This method gets everything out but requires a box of ammo sometimes more to get gun shooting tight again.
I'd loose the JB Bore Paste. It has an abrasive in it. Try some Bore Tech Eliminator or Wipe Out Patch Out for copper removal.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.