Copper problem in my barrel.

Scott S

No matter how clean I get my rifle I am getting some pretty heavy copper fouling after about 8-10 shots. After these few rds my accuracy goes to pot and I get flyers everywhere. The copper build up is primarily is the rifling. I've used Butch's BS, Montana Extreme, and Sweets 7.62. Getting all of the copper out is not the problem. It just seems to be building up too quickly or am I wrong? I am shooting 180 gr Nosler Partition and 180 gr Accubond bullets. The rifle is a Win M70 FW 30-06 with 22" barrel.

I've got at least 500 rounds through my rifle now. I don't have a bore scope so I was wondering if there might just be some really bad machining marks/burs still in the barrel and that might be the cause of some inconsistent shooting?

I know this is a question that is hard for someone to really answer without actually looking at my barrel but that is why I am asking "what do you think" might be causing the heavy copper fouling after just a few rounds. Maybe this is normal and my rifle just refuses to shoot after a few rounds.

Thanks!!

Break in?

Did you follow a break-in procedure? If not you might want to start over as if it was new. Follow a break-in procedure and see if you can get it smoothed out. If you never took the time to break it in then you have never removed the machine marks.

Also, how is your shooting style..Churn and burn or slow lettling it cool down? The reason I ask is if you ran it hot you could have shoot the barrel out. When my 6 rem mag went south it would copper really bad after a few shots.

Another option..Tubs finial finish..This might be an option if your barrel is really rough.

Willys

Thanks, fellas. I suppose I could have done a better "break in" on the barrel. I certainly thought I did ok but I have no problem going back through the procedures again.

As far as shooting, I let the barrel cool between shots. I usually wait 2-3 minutes between shots at a minimum.

I'll give the Tubbs FF a go as well.

Scott

Wipe Out does a great job of removing copper. Spray and let it sit in the bore for 8+ hours. Patch it out then repeat until their is no more blue.

Sounds like you have a barrel problem. I would find a good gunsmith with a bore sight and have him take a look. I just had one of by rifles bore sighted and it cost me $25. Well worth it as opposed to trial and error shooting dozens of rounds through it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.