Savage barrel swap problem?

BenY 2013

So I am trying to take the barrel off my stevens 200 to put a new one on. I do not have an action or barrel wrench and would prefer not to buy either. I made two wooden blocks with V's cut in them and clamped the barrel down in it put rosin powder on it so it would grip but the barrel is still turning before the barrel nut breaks free....any ideas or suggestions? Like I said I would prefer not to have to but the wrenchs, can they be made? Thanks in advance.

It's much easier to use the wrenches but I've done without. Take a 1 1/4 box end wrench and put little drill bits in the slots till you've engaged the nut, I usually fiddle with it to get 4 bits in as tight as I can then get things locked down and get a hammer and give it a good wack!!

If you can hold the action and loosen the nut, it might be easier than trying to hold the barrel.

If you get an action wrench, it will also fit rem 700, which is nice.

Once you get the nut loosened, the barrel should unscrew easily.

Good luck,
AJ

It's much easier to use the wrenches but I've done without. Take a 1 1/4 box end wrench and put little drill bits in the slots till you've engaged the nut, I usually fiddle with it to get 4 bits in as tight as I can then get things locked down and get a hammer and give it a good wack!!

Doesn't that break the drill bits or do you take them out before you whack it with the hammer?

I amy try to rig something up to hold the action instead, I know a guy who has all the right tools to build such a thing, maybe he could help. Thanks

I'm not clear, do you have a nut wrench?

Make a bigger notch in your blocks and grab your action with it.

I've also heard of guys using a giant crescent wrench on the action and recoil lug while trying to turn the barrel nut.

Doesn't that break the drill bits or do you take them out before you whack it with the hammer?

I amy try to rig something up to hold the action instead, I know a guy who has all the right tools to build such a thing, maybe he could help. Thanks

Make sure in your rigging you don't end up twisting the action!! Never broken a drill bit, the drill bits engage the valley in the wrench and the notch in the nut and when you turn it actually cams in tighter for more grip if you size them correctly.
I've also used a chisel and hammer without muffing up the nut as well, but I remove nuts and bolts for a living so I'm perty good at it :D

If you can't get it of without messing something up PM me and I'll through a nut wrench in the mail if you send it back.

So I am trying to take the barrel off my stevens 200 to put a new one on. I do not have an action or barrel wrench and would prefer not to buy either. I made two wooden blocks with V's cut in them and clamped the barrel down in it put rosin powder on it so it would grip but the barrel is still turning before the barrel nut breaks free....any ideas or suggestions? Like I said I would prefer not to have to but the wrenchs, can they be made? Thanks in advance.

First , buy a good barrel vise and the Savage barrel nut wrench.

Savage has hired a gorilla to tighten the nut on most rifles and they are very very tight.

I normally have to beat on the wrench handle with a 3 lb hammer to get one lose.

The odds of breaking one lose is slim without the proper tools.

I know some use the action to hold while breaking the connection between the barrel and the
action on many types of actions. and I personally saw an action that was sprung/twisted
using this method.so I don't do it that way (The barrel is stronger anyway).

Sometimes a good tool is required and IMO this is one of those times.

J E CUSTOM

......I know some use the action to hold while breaking the connection between the barrel and the
action on many types of actions. and I personally saw an action that was sprung/twisted
using this method.so I don't do it that way (The barrel is stronger anyway)....

Not possible if the action was held on the front bridge like most action wrenches are made to do.

Grabbing the action offers much more surface area than on the barrel.

Not possible if the action was held on the front bridge like most action wrenches are made to do.

Grabbing the action offers much more surface area than on the barrel.

I suspect that the action was held wrong.

I use the barrel vice and the action wrench on most actions. but on the Savage it is not
nessary to use a action wrench and with the poster sounding like he did not want to spend
the money holding the barrel is the easy way.

If the barrel is to be disposed of then he can just use a bench vice to hold the barrel for
disassembly and only have to buy a $30.00 wrench.

It is allways best to have the proper tools.

J E CUSTOM

Thank you guys for all the replies! I may try to get the blocks to hold the action, if not may end up buying an action wrench....

To whoever asked if I had a barrel nut wrech yes I do. It'll be a little while before I can work on it sadly....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.