Copper Creek reloading question for 30-06

randycw

I have been using Copper Creek Cartidge Co for my reloading needs for about 2 years. They developed a load two years ago that I have been shooting out of my Ruger 30-06 over that time. The ammo produces very good results for me and I have been able to shoot well out to 1,000 yards at steel, and took an antelope last year at 460 yards.

Recently I asked them for the recipe as the cost was getting a bit rich for me at $3/each. They willingly supplied the load data, which was as follows:

Winchester Brass
53.5gr Hodgdon Varget
168gr Berger Classic Hunter
COAL 3.340"
Ogive 2.734"
CCI Large Rifle #200 Primers
I have not done my own reloading for a number of years and was unfamiliar with the Varget powder. So I have been doing a little reading and reviewing load data, especially from Hodgdon. I found that they recommended MAX powder charge is 50.5gr! I was also finding my MVs did very with temperature, but the Varget is advertised as being insensitive to temperature. Those two pieces of data made me think perhaps Copper Creek meant to say Hodgdon 4350 powder, which would make the 53.5gr a little light but safe. I wrote to confirm with Copper Creek, and this is what I got back:

The provided load is correct. The "Book" maximum is usually 10-15% under real world maximum reliability.

Yes varget is listed as a temperature stale powder, however as you've witnessed, that's an advertising claim, your 100fps swing could be 200-300fps with an unstable powder from cold to hot.

Whew, that was a very long lead in. Thank you for reading it all. The question is this -- the rifle is shooting the load well, there aren't signs of over pressure (if I know what I am suppose to be looking for anyway) -- is this safe to continue loading for myself, or should I just plan to go back to the drawing board and develop another load for the rifle?

P.S. I do not mean to speak ill of Copper Creek. I have found them to be quite helpful and very fast with customer service. And I started using them because they were recommended on this site at some point.

Meaning no offense to "Copper Creek" (I've never had cause to consult them) but I would never use Varget for my '06. I'd suggest you consider IMR 4350. I load 54.2 grains of that behind a 168 grain Seirra in my '06 with good results. Of course, your rifle will need to have a load worked up for it - don't use my load data without working up slowly with your rifle.

Although Varget goes bang, it is not ideal on load density. RE19 is THE powder in the 30-06. I worked up the same load in a few rifles, it is hands down the best powder in 30-06 and 338 Win Mag.

Cheers.
gun)

H or IMR 4350 should serve better for this, BUT if shoots like you want it to nothing wrong with using their load provided you keep check on speeds with good chrono when you load out of new lot number of powder. Have seen both varget and the 4350's change 1 to 1.5 grain up or down to match load developed velocities.

So need to chrono couple of their loads and then drop down prolly 3 or so grains and work your load back to match their speed and it will shoot the same.

Safe, sage advice above. Nothing wrong with working toward replicating a load that is known to shoot acceptably in your rig. The trick is in accomplishing that. Any change in brass, seating depth or primer changes things. Sometimes significantly. Plan to spend several sessions at the range with your quality chronograph chucking load to verify what you are running. Then test it in various temperatures to validate it. Possibly consider developing another load parallel to what your working on. I have a handful of developed loads for my rig.
There are soo many viable projectiles and powders in .30/06, sometimes that works against keeping everything in stock on the shelf, or website. What if that powder becomes inobtainium, the primer is scarce, or that particular bullet isn't made by the manufacturer for a long period of time. Both of those scenarios have forced me away from one load and into starting over from square one. Just a thought. Enjoy.

It really comes down to whether you want to get back into reloading. Whether it's worth it..
If you don't shoot a lot, just using one gun, doing no more than cutting a check for boxes of known good ammo,, $3/round might work out. Especially for occasions when you have more money than time(because you're working like a dog -to make the money).

Where are you getting your velocity data from? Is it from them, or from your own Chrony? Or is it from drop data?

Regardless, I think that, if Copper Creek wants to give you thier powder lot number and their scale with thier Chrony, (if that's where you are getting velocity data.) it would be easy to replicate. If not...
I would work back up to your accuracy node. Scales can read slightly or significantly different. So your results could vary...

Also... IMR 4350 and Reloader 17 is my go to 30-06 powder for bullets from 168 to 215 grains..

Thank you all. It looks like I need to plan on developing a new load for this 30-06, as the 53.5gr of Varget may be safe it is not the best powder for the -06. I will experiment with 4350 and RE19.

Thank you very much.

I have been using Copper Creek Cartidge Co for my reloading needs for about 2 years. They developed a load two years ago that I have been shooting out of my Ruger 30-06 over that time. The ammo produces very good results for me and I have been able to shoot well out to 1,000 yards at steel, and took an antelope last year at 460 yards.
This says alot to me right here. You've been using this load for 2 yrs and it "shoots very well". My self, I might be tempted to work it up slowly and carefully myself.

This says alot to me right here. You've been using this load for 2 yrs and it "shoots very well". My self, I might be tempted to work it up slowly and carefully myself.

Yes, I agree. It shoots very well for me. And I fully intended on using their load data, but the above MAX recommended grains on the powder intimidated me.

Every rifle is different. I have had rifles that ran into excessive pressure below 'published maximum' and others that I stopped adding powder prior to finding excess pressure. The primary factor is YOUR rifle. How accurately does it place rounds at a low SD, regardless of atmospheric conditions. Velocity is a distant third place, at best. You can not miss (or poorly place) bullets with enough velocity to compell a game animal to expire ethically without placing the projectile in the vital region. It seems if the load you are currently shooting has no known issue, in your rifle, you should be able to work up incremental loads toward it.

Yes, I agree. It shoots very well for me. And I fully intended on using their load data, but the above MAX recommended grains on the powder intimidated me.

The guys at Copper Creek are not dummies. Don't be too quick to change powders, especially if it shoots well for you.

As I posted earlier get some good velocity data from the Copper Creek Loads then build load to match same velocity (only reason for this is normal safe reloading procedures when you change lot number on powders).

Thank you all. It looks like I need to plan on developing a new load for this 30-06, as the 53.5gr of Varget may be safe it is not the best powder for the -06. I will experiment with 4350 and RE19.

Thank you very much.

It may very well be THE BEST powder for YOUR gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.