Reloading for 30-06 - Barnes Bullets

Drjones65

Hello -

Looking for some insightful help from the master minds out there.
We are a family that all grew up hunting with a 30-06 bolt action rifle. We have taken A LOT of game (Antelope, Deer & Elk) over the many years.
Grandpa passed his reloading data down to dads and dads to sons.
For years (60+) we have loaded IMR 4895 and Speer 150 GR BTSP for the family.

We are looking for some new modern hunting loads for the 30-06.

We want to stay with either a 150 GR or 165 / 68 GR bullet.
We have purchased some Barnes factory loads (VOR-TX 150 GR Tipped TSX BT) that seem to shoot very well.
We have Barnes 168 GR TTSX bullets to work with as an option.
The rifles seem to like / prefer he 150 GR bullets though.

Has anyone had anyone had any luck working up any loads with Barnes bullets? We have had good luck with their bullets in the past.
We called Barnes and unfortunately they only recommend certain powders, none of which we have nor can get.
Any luck along the lines of H4831SC or 7828SSC?
IMR 4064?

What other tipped or premier bullets have you had excellent results with in a 30.06?

We are trying to stay away from the soft point / lead tips and move towards a premier bullet.
Berger bullets?
Hammer bullets?

Would love to hear what you have tried and what works.

I spoke to one of the design engineers at a major rifle manufacturer recently and asked why they won't make a 30.06 and he told me it is because the gun / caliber is out dated (called it grandpa's gun) and no one wants that old caliber - they could make it but it wouldn't sell very well (same for the .270). They focus their resources on the hot calibers that people want and will sell.

What is working for the old tried and true 30.06 rifles to make them step up a notch?

I used Varget and a CCI 200 primer with the 168 TTSX and found a node around 2720 fps. I know it sounds slow, but there is more to be had. Super accurate. But, am planning on H4831SC and have just loaded 168 Sierra Match Kings for testing.
I expect the H4831SC to go around 100fps (or more) faster without pressure as well as the LRX's I have for it. Just can't say until I shoot them in a couple of days. I'll try to remember to report back to you.
Opine: the 30-06 naysayers are abundant, but there is nothing wrong with it, as many '06 that are out there. All my elk, deer and pronghorn didn't seem to laugh at me. My longest shot was on the pronghorn number 2 with a Texas heart shot, thru and thru with a core loct Remington round 165 grain. No tracking him.
It's a durable killer within its velocity bracket for terminal performance for each bullet. You just need to be aware where copper monos/cup and core minimum speed for good performance.

I have two Remington .30-06 rifles. One I bought in 1974 that I still load for.
IMR 4064 46.5 gr
Barnes 165 gr
COAL 3.672

The other is a Mountain rifle.

IMR 4064 46.5gr
Barnes 165
COAL 3.670
Barnes 165 .jpeg
Barnes 165 46.5.jpeg

Of the powders you mentioned, 4064 is the most likely candidate for copper bullets. You might also want to consider going slightly lighter in weight for copper monos. They are faster and hit harder. Assuming you have at least a 1-12" twist , look at Hammer Hunter Load Data on this Forum. Look at 137 and 150 wt range. You might be surprised!

I was forced to lean to use the Barnes TTSX when The Condor Zone covered some of the best wild pig zones. Then, when CA went state wide with no-lead rules, there were lots of club mates who wanted to develop Barnes loads.

In general, I would say the trend I have found that surprised me the most was that these bullets liked to be seated deeper than I anticipated. Allow yourself some time to do your seating depth testing and don't be shy about seating them deep if that is where they group.

Copper bullets are generally longer compared to equivalent weight regular bullets, so pay attention to twist rates and bullet lengths.

I also found that a thorough cleaning between regular bullets and these helps settle these down sooner. Same if you want to go back to other bullets.

As always, shot placement is what matters with any bullet, including these.

I like H4831sc and 180's or 165gr for the -06.
Remington 30-06, 180gr off hand.

Attachments

• gun range 9 18 13 005.jpg
    gun range 9 18 13 005.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Most rifles will have a different favorite load.

For the Barnes 165/168 TTSX and I4064 try 48-51 grains. Load 48.4, 48.8, 49.2...and so on up thru 51.8

Do the same with I4831 except start at 57 and go up to 58.8.

I've been using the original Barnes X-bullets since they were first introduced many decades ago for hunting....aside from having to coat them with DANZAC to stop the copper fouling issues they had I've found that H-4350, rem 9 1/2 primers with the bullets seated just enough to cleanly be able to fit in the clip works well....any big game animal I hit never moved more than 10 yards...we all must keep in mind HUNTING is not BENCHREST shooting and we don't need to claim to shoot one in the ear hole running at 500 yards..good ole 30/06, certainly has stood the test of time. And to those who think that it is outdated certainly have bumped their heads, their delusion is astonishing.

Of the powders you mentioned, 4064 is the most likely candidate for copper bullets. You might also want to consider going slightly lighter in weight for copper monos. They are faster and hit harder. Assuming you have at least a 1-12" twist , look at Hammer Hunter Load Data on this Forum. Look at 137 and 150 wt range. You might be surprised!
I would give the 137 gr a hard look it should be great in the 06 . I would say equivalent too a 165 gr cup and core in length but a lot faster with better terminal performance.