30-06 w/ 175 gr Barnes LRX

rjletraveler

Recently read an article in the shooting times regarding the 30-06 and long range hunting. I picked up some 175 gr Barnes LRX bullets and was initially going to load them with H4350. However, the author of the article mentioned his choice of powder for long range reloading for the 06 would be H4831SC. I have both and would like to load both to see which one performs best. My issue is I have found no reloading data using H4831SC. The closest I have found is the Sierra 175gr. match king hpbt. Has anyone used H4831SC in the 06 with the Barnes 175gr lrx? If so any load data would be appreciated. I am shooting the rifle I bought when I was 18. Firearms International w/ Mauser action. 22" barrel 1:10 twist. Thanks.

You have to be very careful looking at same weight load data for all copper bullets. Start with the minimum load and work up. You could call Barnes.

Good luck

I have messaged Barnes but as yet have not heard back. The reason I came here regarding the use of the H4831sc is I was looking for a starting point as I really don't / didn't want to start out with the Sierra load data. At least not without seeing if someone else has loaded with it and had some data. Trying to find H4350 has been the devil but it may be worth listing the H4831sc for trade.

Just use the 180 data and reduce it by 3 grains and go back up. This art has a lot of trial and error. Use the Barnes OAL and the reduced data for 180s then work your way up

Just use the 180 data and reduce it by 3 grains and go back up. This art has a lot of trial and error. Use the Barnes OAL and the reduced data for 180s then work your way up
58 to 59 gr seems to be right in the wheel house of where to start. Think I will start my first load at 58.5 gr and us the Barnes 3.300 oal. Will wait to see if I hear back from Barnes. If not, that is where I will start. I will take some good notes so I don't have to start from complete scratch again. I suspect there may be interest somewhere on this site for results. Where would I post results if anyone would be interested? Pondering getting a chrono so could likely even post that info.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.