Considering ATACR but question regarding regular MOAR and T version

Jay03

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the Nightforce ATACR but without any locally to look at I am wondering if the the MOAR or the MOAR T would suit me best. I know its a loaded question with many variables but here goes.

My rifle is a 6.5x47L and I will be using it for mostly target out to as much range as I can get out of it and occasionally rock chucks and coyotes hopefully out to 800 or more. Its a heavy tactical build and I don't shoot any type of competition or plan on doing so. So I am settling on the ATACR over the NXS for glass quality mainly even though I'm sure the NXS would suffice just fine. So the thinner reticle and the fact that the MOAR-T is center illum only are the differences I need to consider basically. I dont have alot of experience with illum reticles so not sure there.

Which are you using for what and why? And is having only the center illum on the T version anything to think about? I wish there were more pictures of them in use available, and yes I have searched. Side by side pics at long ranges with both reticles would help but I have not found any yet.

Also I am well past saving weight on this rifle but if you can talk me into a NXS over the ATACR and save a few hundred bucks I am all ears. But I am a bit of an optics snob with swaro binos and spotter so I would like good glass in the scope as well. Like I said with very little locally to check out I have little to compare.

Scope will be MOA and SFP. My first long dedicated long range setup and I will be dialing for range also no tactical use so I dont think I will be needing a FFP. But again I am open to opinions from the more experienced crew here. Thanks

I have the MOAR-T in an 5-22 NXS. Never looked thru a regular MOAR but the T certainly isn't "too thin" out 1000 from what I see. Looks just right to me. I haven't ever used the lighted crosshair.

I have both. I would suggest the MOAR T for the precision on small aim points. Plus you will really like the new ATACR with digilum reticle. It has already paid off for us in the field in low light.

Jeff

I have both, MOAR in the ATACR and the MOAR-T in an NXS. I prefer the MOAR for hunting out to 1000 yards. No problem shooting sub .5MOA with it. For my eyes it picks up better in low light and darker backgrounds, typical of whitetail hunting, my primary quarry. The finer reticle works well for target/longer range shooting. I have not used lighted reticles.

Thanks for the responses, looks like the MOAR-T is what I am probably after. Sounds like not many use the lighted reticle, I guess I will see how that goes. Now I just need to sack up and order the scope.

I thought about cabelas but they dont carry the MOAR T. Just the MOAR. And no ATACR in stock. But yes I could order online.

I've got an illuminated ATACR from Cabela's. I've also got a few of the NSX line, also from Cabela's. I hunt hogs and whitetail.

If I had to chose one, I'd go with the illuminated ATACR. The illuminated reticle is a must for low light shooting. The light gathering capability is incredible. I've not taken a few shots since I couldn't make out the crosshairs when I could see the deer through the scope. I'd have a big 10 pointer on my wall if one of my NSX scopes was illuminated.

My NSX scopes have the Velocity 1000 reticle on them. If you don't plan on shooting over 1000 yards, they work well. I've got them on .308's, and they are all that I will ever need.

I have the MOAR-T. I went with that because of the finer reticle. I only have one scope with an illuminated reticle but I don't use the illumination even in low light conditions. My general feeling on illuminated reticles is that on the rare occasion you could actually use one the battery may well be dead anyway.

Here are a couple picks taken with my phone. The cougar is at 230 yards and the steel plate is 24" at 1000 yards.

Attachments

• 10872780_761328710587431_4419632434107834038_o.jpg
    10872780_761328710587431_4419632434107834038_o.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 10504896_775481569172145_1542446549085158334_o.jpg
    10504896_775481569172145_1542446549085158334_o.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 62
I have the MOAR-T. I went with that because of the finer reticle. I only have one scope with an illuminated reticle but I don't use the illumination even in low light conditions. My general feeling on illuminated reticles is that on the rare occasion you could actually use one the battery may well be dead anyway.

Here are a couple picks taken with my phone. The cougar is at 230 yards and the steel plate is 24" at 1000 yards.

Thanks, this is exactly what I have been looking for. Good photos.
I ordered the ATACR with the MOAR-T. Now the painful wait begins.

Oh and here in Oregon lead would be flying at the cougar. Its open year round over the counter. Plus an additional tag if you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.