MOA question regarding scopes

sydsdaddy

Thanks on advance to anyone who takes the time to answer this simple question. I'm new to long range shooting per se, I am in the process of looking for a 22-250 for my daughter and I, notice when talking about scopes and rails people mention MOA. I know what MOA is but why is it incorporated into the base and or rings? What is the advantage to setting up this way? Finally is this the same as offset rings? I know a simple question but it's the only way to learn in my opinion. God Bless.

it is so you have more adjustment to shoot farther. with a 20 moa rail you will be zeroed closer to the middle or bellow depending on what scope you are running

sydsdaddy, I have a Savage FVSS .22-250 with a 20 moa 1 piece base, 6-18x40 Nikon Buckmaster. The 20 moa base allows me to shoot out past 800 yards, without it, I would not be able too. Also, no, it is not the same as offset rings. I don't know how far you are wanting to shoot, but at the range 600 yards is considered Mid-Range and I believe 800 - 1000 is Long-Range. I'm not trying to be a smartaleck, just thought I'd let you know.

sydsdaddy, I have a Savage FVSS .22-250 with a 20 moa 1 piece base, 6-18x40 Nikon Buckmaster. The 20 moa base allows me to shoot out past 800 yards, without it, I would not be able too. Also, no, it is not the same as offset rings. I don't know how far you are wanting to shoot, but at the range 600 yards is considered Mid-Range and I believe 800 - 1000 is Long-Range. I'm not trying to be a smartaleck, just thought I'd let you know.

Oh no, i appreciate the info, never would have taken it as a smartalick response lol. I love knowledge and is why I'm not afraid to ask the simplest of questions in order to get a great answer like yours. Funny thing is my next gun is going to be a 22-250, going to try the new Ruger American rifle as my 11 yr old daughter wants to move up from her 22LR and I don't want to break the bank lol. Our range only goes out to 700 yards so I would think maybe 10 MAO base would be good to keep the scope close to the middle? Again thanks for the great response.

More important that the base MOA is the BC of the bullets you are using and the barrel twist of your barrel. Too slow of a twist and you cant stabilize the heavier bullets that the 22 caliber will require to get to 1000 yards.

Last 2 years I have been using EGW 15 MOA rails to get at a happy medium on scope mounting. EGW plainly started that with normal firing calibers you dont even need an MOA base for distance out fo 600 yards...so 15 MOA works fine.

I only shoot 55 grain slugs but dont have anywhere to try past 700 meters.

Good luck

A canted base is not nessesary for short range stuff. I have a few zero can't bases that I can still dial to 1000 with. With a 308 or such I always go with a 20 moa rail. Ir all depends on the scope and caliber. One way tomlook at it is if you had a zero can't base and you were zeroed at 100 yards and intend to dial for longer shots. Say you have 15 moa left to come up but 40 on the bottom that's wasted. If you had a 20 moa base technically you should now have 35 to go up and only 20 that's wasted. With a scope bottomed out you can't adjust wind as easy if your in the middle with room to spare. I've seen a few guns have trouble with 0 can't bases jit every one I saw with troubles had cheap bases and rings. My savage 308 couldn't be zeroed closer than 400 yards. We had to shim it. Then with the same gun I got some night force bases, rings, and scope and with no shims I can dial out past 1k so in only reccomend getting quality bases and rings.

Good luck

...Our range only goes out to 700 yards so I would think maybe 10 MAO base would be good to keep the scope close to the middle? Again thanks for the great response.
That caliber only needs about 12 MOA of elevation to reach 700 yds (100 yd zero). That's not enough adjustment to cause a problem with the scope.

The Nikon Buckmaster does not have as much travel as some other scopes. Also this Savage rifle usually gets other barrels installed on it, that is were the 20 moa base comes in. I've ran this .22-250 out to 850 yards on my home range. There are pine trees on both sides, wind is minamal, I've been able to hold 12" with 55gr BTHP's which isn't great, but not bad for a 1-12 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.