Question on MOA reticles

The Oregonian

I am narrowing my scope selection but want to make sure I fully understand one critical aspect....

With something like the NXS MOAR reticle, or any other MOA reticle in SFP, it needs to be on the highest power to use the MOA reticle for drops, correct? I know it does for range finding and therefore should be the same for the MOA hashes, but wanting to make absolutely sure.

Thx

It depends. It has to be at a certain power, but it's not always the highest power. On NF's 8-32, it correctly subtends at 22x. If you don't want to use math/ratios, everything you do with the reticle has to be done at that power (rangefinding, drops, windage, corrections...)

Check out page 2 here: http://nightforceoptics.com/pdf/MOAR.pdf

I read that before but it only mentioned ranging...I assumed they meant using the reticle for drops as well, and maybe that is considered ranging, but wanted to make sure.

Good point about using on a certain magnification and not just max.

On a 5.5~22 NXS with the MOAR your reticle will be 1 moa per hash mark on 22X. They will be 2 MOA on 11X. So if you know your drops in moa then adjust accordingly.

On the new ATACR with the MOAR reticle it would be 1 moa hash marks on 25X and 2 moa on 12.5 X.

I have tested both these reticles for accuracy and they were spot on.

But I would encourage you to look into just dialing in the needed moa for your drop. Especially for the longer shots. Then a simple center of reticle hold on ANY power setting will put you spot on.

Jeff

Both of the previous replies are correct. I would also like to add however that you should spend the time to VERIFY the reticle subtension before assuming that it is correct at the listed magnification. As noted above, if the power ring is adjusted to half power, take the time to verify that the reticle actually subtends twice the amount at that magnification. You might find out that the mag ring is slightly left or right of the marked power. Use caution though, the scope must be set absolutely firm in a rest of some sort.

Geb

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.