Comprehensive Bullet test

D.Camilleri

I propose that we as a group come up with a way to make a comprehensive bullet terminal performance test to act as a resource for long range hunting of big game. The goal, as I see it would be to show strengths and weaknesses of different bullets in different weights and different velocities in 3 to 5 popular calibers to include 6mm, 7mm, 30 cal, 338 cal and 375 cal. Bullets of different makes and different weights would be shot into some sort of controlled ballistic medium (not water) and results recorded. With this information we could conclude if certain bullets are up to the task of dispatching big game with predictable results. One of the conclusions I would like to see is penetration based on caliber and bullet weight. In other words, how much weight in a given caliber with a given bullet will achieve desired penetration and expansion. One thing that could be learned from this test is that a bullet of a certain brand might work extremely well in one caliber and might over expand in a larger caliber. By making these tests at high velocity and also at say 1800 fps we could come up with a good resource. The best way to make this test happen is if someone would volunteer to do the testing and we as a group could send supplies or funds to help with the testing.

It is a good idea but would be very involved. Probably hard to pull off.

I will be starting 2013 testing of the .308 / 215 Berger Hybrid, the .308 / 230 Berger OTM and the .338 / 300 Berger OTM soon. All at many distance, and will be glad to document with photos , velocities and penetration depths if people want to hear about it. I will use live game hide, meat and bone for media. After results are honestly reported, and supported, my freezer will be full for another year, and those few people on this forum will hate me even more for it. Seems to be the pattern anyway.

jeff

Jeff, I too have some testing to do with 215's and some more testing with the 338 300's. One thing that makes me want to have some sort of testing of some bullets has to do with where we live and some unknowns that could come into play. The unknown that I speak of would be a charging griz. Inflicting maximum damage with adequate penetration at close range is the goal. Failure could hurt real bad. I bring this up because of a local gunsmith down here that got stalked by a sow griz and two cubs while elk hunting. She charged and he managed to get to his 338 win mag loaded with 200 gr ballistic tips and fired point blank. She bit the crap out of him then went back to her cubs, then returned to him. He shot a total of 3 times, but never delivered a knock out, so he got bit up a bunch. In my opinion, a 300 grain berger would be lights out as long as it penetrated deep enough to do what it should do. This is why I would like to see some testing. But what a great chance to compare a bunch of other bullets to see how they would act in the same medium. We already have a good idea what happens at long range, but we could see how different bullets perform at lower end velocities. This would be a lot of work, and wouldn't be absolute, because manufacturing mistakes can and will happen, but it could be cool.

Belief is the pattern for success! More than once the past few years I have seen a person believe the can do what they never thought would be possible while all along some saying they "can't." Not only did they do they blew the doors off the non-believers and experienced. Having that confidence is the winning spirit. Making sound decisions is the next step. There is already a flood of information out there regarding bullet selection and shot placement with distance. In the end whatever decision we make there can be no doubt this decision is the right one. Shoot with total confidence in your gear, capabilities, and weather conditions.

If this thread takes root there will be much debate over personal experience and preference. In the end the individual will make their decision based on what they "believe" is the best option. At times there will be better options but trying to convince a Ford owner Chevy is better is not worth the time and likewise in reverse.

Tests are made to prove or disprove a theory. It isn't necessary to convince anyone that this product is better than that product. But, if the test proves that this bullet will not expand at X velocity and the other bullet will not expand at Y velocity, we can learn something. Also, if we learn that a certain bullet over expands at X velocity, but expands perfectly at Y velocity, we have learned something. I personally would like to see some comparisons of 300 gr 338's, Berger, Sierra, Nosler for example.

I like this idea but like Jeff said, it would hard to do.

We've had these bullet expansion and testing threads before and wracked our brains trying to think up ways to test bullets and the bottom line best way to get results is to actually shoot through flesh and bone. Nothing else is quite adequate.

I think the Berger Kill Thread is great for getting some good terminal performance feedback.

Maybe we could start some threads like

Berger Bullets Terminal Performance - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Barnes Bullets Terminal Performance - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

etc

Get all the dope and pics on each kill or attempted kill.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.