Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Yea I really don't want a single shot gun and in my state I will never see 1000 yard shots on deer . But I will try the longer round just to see if it's that much better.

Yea I really don't want a single shot gun and in my state I will never see 1000 yard shots on deer . But I will try the longer round just to see if it's that much better.

Honestly, if you're going for deer under 1k, the loss of velocity won't matter at all. It will honestly help you. Like Broz said, use the OTMs. I think they're about 0.06 shorter or so.

Interesting read. I have been testing the 230's in a 300 RUM at magazine length (3.60) and haven't seen any issues. Very low ES so far and surprisingly very minimal pressure signs. I have heard of others doing this as well, so it is interesting that Berger doesn't think they would work at that length. Obviously these are more fit at a longer COAL, but the magazine length seems to be working okay.

I just picked up a 300 win mag with 26" barrel. I was looking for a place to start and I found it with this thread. The 215 sounds like the bullet for me. Will start working on loading up this for sure. Might have to go to something else when I get the chance to go to Alaska for Moose and Browns or just use the 45-70.
Just want to say thank you for all the time you put into sharing these details. Happy hunting.

So, for the 300 WM, what are the velocity ranges for different lengths of barrels? Broz is piping them out at a dreamy 3035 fps with a 28" barrel. I have been hearing in the 2950 range for 26" barrels. But what about 24"? What has everyone been seeing with their length of barrels?

Thank you.

Got you an answer.. my 300win has a 24 on it, and just this-week finalized my load... very happy how it finished-up

79.4 H1000
Fed215M primer
15-thou jump/.4@100yards
2887 fps/single digit spreads
Full match-prep Hornady Brass on second firing.. neck tension of 1.5 thou via neck bushing

Anxious to put it to work.

Rooster, are you showing any pressure signs with that load? Seems that is on the hot side.

I have seen two rifles run with only minimal sign of any pressure at 79 gr of H-1000 with a 215 Berger. By minimal I mean no increase in bolt lift, very slight flattening of the primer face , and only a slight shadow of ejector pin mark with zero swiping of brass.

I attributed this to the reduced friction of the shorter bearing surface of the 215. That said, I do consider this a max load that only some rifles will allow and also only some lots of H-1000 would allow. Care should be taken while working up to see if your rifle will go there safely, and also these loads should be backed off and worked back up if powder lot is changed.

Jeff

Jeff is spot on.. buddy of mine, shooting a remington action hit pressure at exactly 79 in his particular rifle. 78.5 ended up (his) load, surprisingly enough at a velocity of 2878 vs mine of 2887... +/- 10fps difference. My action is Sako 995.

That said, my dies are Redding-bushig dies and allow me to use a neck-tension of only 1-1.5 thou. HIS, on the other hand are standard RCBS dies without bushing capability, thus leaving his with likely a stiffer neck-tension & more abrupt spike in pressure. (I personally) believe the difference lays between that and the fact I anneal mine. In other calibers I've seen where the annealing and a specific/particular neck-tension on a bullet will GREATLY effect your velocity, not only in it's speed (& max-charges) but with consistency round-to-round.

Definitely don't jump straight to my max or anyones max for that matter, brass-brand & capacity, prep-process and neck-tensions in relation to annealing/neck turning/use of bushings, etc etc ALL play a part..

For the record though, I did do trials at this same charge of 79.4 in three brands of brass (all) being sized for 1-1.5 thou neck tension. Those brands being Hornady, Norma & Lapua. None of which showed ejector marks, or swipes. And none with a change in bolt lift at-all.

- Hornady @ 2887 had very slightly flattened primers vs Lapua or Norma
- Norma actually averaged 50fps +/- less than the Hornady, BUT was a test with RWS primers instead of the Fed215's (which were in the Hornady & Lapua brass) So I personally attribute the slower velocity to the cooler/softer ignition*
- And finally Lapua averaged @ 2870, also fed215's, but again a touch slower than Hornady. When seating bullets, the Lapua & Norma had some space left, the Hornady's were compressed. Crunch a tiny bit. Obviously less capacity, hence the extra speed & slight primer flattening.

Hornady was the only one of the three that had slight primer flattening. Other two actually showed ZERO pressure what-so-ever.. groups were all equal, even given the velocity difference.