Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Getting excited about this year's hunting adventures. Started working up a load with h1000 and the 215 hybrids hit 2800 fps at 75.7 grains and it seems to be an accurate set up. Can't wait to dial it all in.

Whoops...should have addressed this to Maina. Sorry for being a knucklehead.

300Thumbhole:
Yes, the dies you posted are the correct dies you will need to load for your 300RUM.

Also, the 215hybrids you found on Midway are the bullets being discussed in this thread.

Broz correctly points out that for the 300RUM, you would probably be better off with the 230grain bullets. This is because of the increased case capacity of the 300RUM over the 300win.

230grain OTM
Berger Tactical Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 230 Grain Hybrid Open

230grain hybrid target
Berger Hybrid Target Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 230 Grain Hollow

The difference between the OTM and the target is the OTM is a slightly shorter bullet. This would likely be the better choice for your rifle since you would like to load them so that they will fit in your magazine.

Alternatively, you could load the longer target bullets a bit further out (giving you more case capacity) but it may constrain you to loading the rifle one single round at a time. If your rifle is a dedicated longrange rig, being a single shot is often not an issue.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/ was a single shot and I never felt at a disadvantage with it as long as I was longrange hunting.

Getting excited about this year's hunting adventures. Started working up a load with h1000 and the 215 hybrids hit 2800 fps at 75.7 grains and it seems to be an accurate set up. Can't wait to dial it all in.

You're right where you need to be. What are your rifle specs?

There are a lot of variables I guess. But looks to me like you still could gain some more speed. I know every gun is different but it would be nice to know your rifle specs. Type of action, barrel length, reamer used brass and weight of brass being used.

Is this a 300 WM? I have been wanting a test subject to punch their 300 winny out to a 30/375 S.I. It would be a simple conversion and give you a non-belted case with 96.4 grains capacity. I get about 3070 with 79 grs. H1000 in a 28" barrel. With RL33, I can hit 3300'.....Rich

So, for the 300 WM, what are the velocity ranges for different lengths of barrels? Broz is piping them out at a dreamy 3035 fps with a 28" barrel. I have been hearing in the 2950 range for 26" barrels. But what about 24"? What has everyone been seeing with their length of barrels?

Thank you.

So, for the 300 WM, what are the velocity ranges for different lengths of barrels? Broz is piping them out at a dreamy 3035 fps with a 28" barrel. I have been hearing in the 2950 range for 26" barrels. But what about 24"? What has everyone been seeing with their length of barrels?

Thank you.

My factory 26" Rem 5R is in it's sweet spot around 2850 fps with the 215s. I'm running 75.5 to 76.0 grains of H1000 in RP brass. I have pushed it higher but my ES opens up and brass life suffers.

You had said I should try the. 230 grain long range T . But it may not fit in my built in clip I found one that would take. A bullet 3.825 would that give me the room I need for this round ?

They said that's the room I could work with

I was looking at this same thing. My smith told me to figure on losing 50-75 FPS if I wanted to limit COAL to 3.75 (for a 3.85 magazine). Only you can determine if that will make a difference if you application.

You could probably run the 215 much closer to max velocity in your magazine if that is your goal.

Assuming 2900 instead of 3000 fps (for 230 OTMs) at my elevation (1000), you're only losing 100yds of distance as an elk round. It maintains 1400 FPE out to 1100 yards where as 3000 fps will get you to 1200 yards. You also lose 0.3 MOA in mind drift assuming 10 mph cross wind.

From all my research, once you start getting out that far, it's time to start looking at a .338 for elk anyway.

Couple things I will add.

The 230 OTM was designed for use in shorter mag box applications. Not sure how it differs from the 230 Target in this aspect but I would consider the OTM if mag box length could be an issue.

With my testing of the 215 on game , at first, I was worried about the large amounts of expansion on closer shots from my rifle at 3035 MV. We were not exiting some of the cow elk taken below 500 yards and this had me worrying about shots at 200. But that was cleared up later when we took a Bull at 200 yards and got a diagonal wound channel of 26" through the far shoulder.

We ran the 230 OTM in my sons rifle and almost always got exits on elk. Several under 500 and one that comes to mind at 180.

So the reason I suggest the 230 for RUM's and other lager case 300's is two fold. One, I think they will hold together better at higher impact velocities and Two, I have an unconfirmed feeling the 215's at a MV of 3200 or so could have some issues up close. Now That is not confirmed, and like I said just a gut feeling from what I have seen with a couple dozen kills. The 215 and 230 have two different tip designs and expand different. So, if you have the case capacity, why not take advantage of the 230's more energy at distance, better BC and retained velocity for long range?

Jeff