Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

This is a great thread Jeff. It made me rethink my love of the 7 mag. What would be your thoughts on the 200gr hybrid? Would you expect similar results?

I would, but sure would hate to give up the .070 on the BC over the 215. One of the things I noticed, and guess I never really talked about, was the success rate of all these shooter. I have to give this bullet some of the credit for it's .696 BC and being able to stay on track. But as far as how the 200 would perform on game, yes I would expect similar results as long as you stayed under 3100 fps for velocity.

Jeff

Just returned from Saskatchewan late last week. Shot a buck at 724 yds. My farthest kill so far. I did not take any pictures but my results were the same as Broz's. 300 RUM, 215 Hybrid @ 2985 fps. buck was quartering away and bullet entered third last rib on left side, and exited dead center of right shoulder. Exit wound was 3" with MASSIVE damage done to internal organs. Deer never took a step or even twitched! I was very impressed with the way this bullet performed.

Just returned from Saskatchewan late last week. Shot a buck at 724 yds. My farthest kill so far. I did not take any pictures but my results were the same as Broz's. 300 RUM, 215 Hybrid @ 2985 fps. buck was quartering away and bullet entered third last rib on left side, and exited dead center of right shoulder. Exit wound was 3" with MASSIVE damage done to internal organs. Deer never took a step or even twitched! I was very impressed with the way this bullet performed.

What's your load with this combo?

My load is. 91 gr H-1000
Fed 215 Match Primer
Remington Brass
COAL 3.843"
300 RUM
Rifle has a factory Sendero barrel. It is the only thing that is still factory. Bought the gun used but it sure shoots good. Would like to upgrade to a 28-29" barrel and a better brake. But for now it works great. Would like a bit more speed but don't want to sacrifice accuracy. No pressure signs with this load. I am at about 1300 ft elevation.

Jeff it is about time Berger sent you some bullets, and made you a sponsor. We all know you have done more for there name and our sport then anyone else on this forum. I know that it is something that you would never do, so I think I will send Berger this thread and give them my vote. Keep up the good work.

Cory

Cory,

For what it is worth, we have been keeping an eye on this thread from early on. Jeff's reputation as an unbiased, no nonsense, factual, observation based evaluator is something we have been aware of from well before this thread.

Regarding sponsorship, Jeff has made it clear to me that his position is from an unbiased, honest and open point of view. He is doing this entirely for the sake of other hunters and his own interest on the subject. He will be just as quick to tell you and us if the bullets don't work for any reason. His efforts are not meant to seek sponsorship in any form.

Does this mean that we won't send bullets to Jeff for further evaluation? Of course not. We are very interested in honest feedback from highly experienced and knowledgeable shooters and Jeff is one such individual.

Regards,
Eric

Well, I will echo everyone else. Thank you Broz for all the great posts and terminal data. I have been planning a new 300 WM build for quite some time-this info makes it too hard to resist! Thank you again Jeff.

Thank you all again, you are too kind. I am thrilled that so many members enjoyed this thread. I enjoyed doing it and it was simple to do. The load work up with the 215 Hybrids was absolutely nothing. I was done in a few rounds with a load shooting .25 at 100. The drops came right in, spot on with Bryans Applied Ballistics program fed ranges from my Vectronix PLRF10 and field conditions from my Kestrel. Then using Bergers advertised G7 BC and the average velocity from my Oehler 35P, I was amazed to see all this come together so easy. This included shots to 1500 yards. My rifle was put together by a good smith Dave Young and I supplied him with good parts. Defiance action, Broughton barrel, JP Brake, McMillan stock, Jewel trigger, Near mfg. Base, NF rings, NF NXS Scope etc. My hand loads are carefully assembled with good tools and products too, Redding top end comp dies, Redding T-7 press, RCBS charge master, and Lapua brass filled with Hodgdens H-1000 extreme powder over a Federal GM 215 M match primer. I know some find the high success rate of first round cold bore hits outstanding. The fact that there were many shooter prove to me the importance of good components and parts. I set up the rifle for the shots and coached them through the break of the trigger and it worked every time. So when some of you hear me preach about the importance of good parts and components. Please understand I have seen the difference in some less expensive products first hand. All the harping I do about a rangefinders beam divergence, good quality bases and rings, a good scope with a fine reticle, and an accurate bullet that will consistently take out vital organs at even the longest poke, is all just part of the winning combination. I am not a rich man, I make sacrifices and have strong priorities. I use the best gear I can possibly afford. No new truck for me, my 06 with 190K is fine, no 4 wheeler (well not yet anyway), but, a good rifle and gear I do have.

So here is to the people who make these products available to us. After that it is just knowing how to use them, a lot of practice and the ability to break a clean trigger.

Thanks!
Jeff gun)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------lightbulb

Awesome. I will be using the 215 Hybrids in my 300RUM and hoping the load development will be as easy as what you found it to be.
Thanks for all the photos and reports.
Good luck with finding wolves.

Very awesome thread! Jeff your knowledge and the time you put forth to share this with us is invaluable! I am expecting at least one more picture!

I have been very hard at the wolf game and it has reflected in my long range elk hunting endevors this past year, and thank goodness I am self employed. After all day on my horse in weather nobody else was dumb enough to endure, as luck would have it I filled my cow tag with a 60 yard shot, 800 yards from the truck! This was the first elk I have brought home whole in 6 years! I figured that was the trophy of my season!

To be honest the big gray muts have recieved an advanced education since last year!

Thank you
Hank jr.

Jeff once again exellent work!!

What I have enjoyed the most is your true to life hunting style. You are realistic about the weapon and it's capablities.

As for my elf I have been wanting to bulid a new rifle cost per round is a big factor. With what I am seeing I don't really need a .338 cal a 300 win will do everything I want for the type of hunting I do. At least for now:D

Now I am really excited to see what you will do with your LRMK when it arrives. I would love to see this same break down of the berger 300 gr monster.

I think you will have a hard time putting the .300 away for a season to do the R&D, but I think you will manage. :D

Shootermedic,

Broz reported on the .338 300 OTM last hunting season. Here is the link:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-230-300-otm-hybrid-terminal-results-80283/

Thanks again for the great reference material Broz.

By the way Jeff. I said I'd report back with results if I used the 230 hybrid on my elk hunt. I got my cow elk just over a week ago. Had the 300 RUM all set with 230 target hybrids. We opted to go into the woods where the elk were feeding on wheat and barley, planted after the worst fire in Az's history. All the elk were eating "cereal". Got mine by threading the needle with a lightweight custom 338 RCM and 225 Accubonds at 100 yds. Nothing worth reporting, just an in and out hole just behind the shoulder with it dropping within 50 ft. The fat on those elk was the most I had ever seen.