Compact Tractors.....Decisions, Decisions

YZ-80

I'm pretty much going out of my mind trying to pick a compact tractor. To cut to the chase, based on my needs, I'm considering either the Kubota B3350, the John Deere 2038R or the Massey Ferguson 1736M. I've researched hydraulic flow rates, transmissions, PTO HP, available attachments, etc., ad nauseum as they relate to my needs. Any of the 3 would fit the bill but I can't seem to make a decision. My primary function will be mowing (5 acres finishing, 5 Acres, Brush hog). I want a bucket and will do food plot work. I know...I should consider a Zero turn and a cheaper tractor without a mid-PTO but I just don't like them. I want a Mid-mount mower deck on a tractor with cruise control and a cup holder.

The Kubota B3350 is about perfect but I'm told is notorious for DPF issues. This has been going on for 3 to 4 years and a local dealer even admitted to it, trying to talk me into a L3901 instead. So, I guess the issue still exists. Sadly, even though I consider the Kubota a really solid tractor, I think it's out of the running.

The John Deere 2038 has pretty much all I want and I love the quick connect drive over deck. But - it only has a 2 range HST. All the others have a 3 range and I can't figure out why Big Green would skimp on this? The 2 range may be fine but I'm told most mowing is done in mid-range.

The Massey Ferguson is the dark horse in the running but has it's attributes, chief of which is NO DPF. In addition, it has the highest overall hydraulic flow rate. A belly mower is available but it's a 72" so with my terrain, it may scalp and I'm sure no where near as easy to take on and off as the JD Quick-Connect.

All things considered (price is not an issue), which one would you pick? I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has one of the above tractors and what their opinion (pros vs. cons).

Thanks!

I've got green blood in my veins so I might have some bias here. I'm lucky enough that my JD dealer is only 17 miles away and has great service. It helps to base your decision on your dealer. I know that is still a lawn tractor but do you have a trailer that can haul it in for service? If not find out what they would charge to come and pick it up. Do you have a Mahindra dealer in your area? Some neighbors have good luck with them. As for the other two Massey would be out and Kubota would get a partial thought.
In my case I'm talking farm tractors but I do have a zero turn JD also.

Doing my part to pollute every time I throttle mine up...

LMAO! You are correct sir! It defies logic to take a perfectly good engine and hamper it with all this emissions crap. I want clean air and clean water as much as the next guy but when is enough enough? My Gawd, we've got catalytic converters impregnated with platinum! Let's add a DPF on top of that? Don't even get me started on recycling!

I've got green blood in my veins so I might have some bias here. I'm lucky enough that my JD dealer is only 17 miles away and has great service. It helps to base your decision on your dealer. I know that is still a lawn tractor but do you have a trailer that can haul it in for service? If not find out what they would charge to come and pick it up. Do you have a Mahindra dealer in your area? Some neighbors have good luck with them. As for the other two Massey would be out and Kubota would get a partial thought.
In my case I'm talking farm tractors but I do have a zero turn JD also.

You are correct about dealer/parts availability. I have 2 John Deere, 1 Kubota and 2 Massey Ferguson Dealers all within a 25 mile radius. The John Deere dealer says $85.00 (round trip) for a pick up/return so that's not bad.

I live and farm in very green country but I'm colorblind so I farm with orange. They are all good and they all have issues, especially the tier 4 tractors. More than once I've seen the JD dealer out in field trying to revive a green tractor that has succumbed to emission issues.. Nothing better than a derate half way through planting with rain on the horizon.... Far as i'm concerned the new Tier 4 compliant whizz bang computer controlled motors are junk, at least in their present form. Maybe in 10 years when the bugs are worked out they might be ok, but now. No way Jose' Only thing goes in my engines is off road diesel and smoke comes out the stack. I was brought up to under the philosophy that if there is no smoke, there is no fire.

I have a Kubota L2500 , loader , back hoe , 3 point 60" finish mower , brush hog , it has been trouble free . the subframe for the hoe won't allow a belly mower . I have a 54" craftsman mower that I've used for about 20 years keeping the grass cut . as for mowing , these both take about the same amount of time to cut my grass . last year I bought a scag zero turn mower . I think it's a 62" deck . I can't believe how much faster this cuts my grass . it saves me about 4.5 hours . if you're mainly going to be cutting grass I'd really think on a zero turn mower .

I have a Kubota and absolutely love it. These are indestructible tractors and are incredibly easy to work on. I have 4000 hours on mine and all I've done is change injectors and I changed them myself.

I have for sale, located in North Carolina a John Deere 1025R TLB. The tractor is 2 years old with only 30 Hr.'s on it. This model has the Loader and Backhoe. I also have a high end Tiller and box that will go with it. Best part of this deal is that I also have an 18ft, 14K rated equipment trailer with Mega Ramps to haul it. Asking $16500 for all.

I have for sale, located in North Carolina a John Deere 1025R TLB. The tractor is 2 years old with only 30 Hr.'s on it. This model has the Loader and Backhoe. I also have a high end Tiller and box that will go with it. Best part of this deal is that I also have an 18ft, 14K rated equipment trailer with Mega Ramps to haul it. Asking $16500 for all.

Buying a Kubota?:D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.