LRH stewardship, thoughts and some decisions

I read the 'acceptable range' thread several times. The bottom line, for me anyhow, is not to shoot at anything I'm not 100% sure I can hit and drop with the first shot. I spend most of my summers pushing my personal envelope on targets and learning as much as I can about ranging and wind. I'm still in the learning stage at anything over 7-8 hundred yards so any animal I shoot at has to be well inside that range for me to feel confident enough to take a shot. I think everyone should keep in mind that the longer the distace that harder it is to track a wounded animal. What this board has done for me is to give me a great insight as to what can be accomplished. Before I came here I would never have thought that one mile shots were possible on targets let alone game. I'm not saying I'll ever get that good, but with the info available and the right equipment I just may be able to knock down a big ol steel plate at that range one day which will make those hunting shots at a lot more reasonable ranges worth considering.

I'm a fairly infrequent poster but..... here's my 2cents.

I figured I would like to be member number 2000. That would be like having a cool license plate. Way back in November, I started keeping track of the growth rate and did some mathematical projections. (Kind of like curve fitting a drop chart).

I jumped on the board on the projected date and registered.

You can see what my number is and do you're own "thinking" about the growth rate.
(Some of us are just wierd that way)

I appreciate the information that I have learned since lurking and posting that have allowed me to extent my range out to 500+ on my "steel" coyote.

Have since purchased a laser range finder, no wonder I was always shooting over things all those years.

Have upgraded to Mil-Dot scope and spent time developing drop charts etc.

Figure I have dumped several hundreds of $ into the economy because of knowledge gleaned from this site. (Experience is the best teacher, as long as it is someone elses experience). I appreciate thoses who are pushing the env. Just another thing to think.

This is a good forum

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.