Colt AR-15 A4 vs DPMS Prairie Panther

I'm a former High Power competitor, used AR15's in Service Rifle and Match Rifle. Still shoot in club matches. When shooting Mid Range Prone(MRP), shooting is at 600 yards, with sling. Anyhow, that 10 ring is 12 inches, the X ring is 6 inches, the AR15 does quite well. They'll hold the X ring if the Rifleman can, even better if shooting from a bipod or another rest was allowed. A competition ready AR15 is very accurate for most hunting applications in proper weights and calibers.
Yep still shooting in my club and always amazed at what can be done with a national match rifle and I own just about every platform on the market.03a4,rem 40x u.s.m.c 22lr .If we all shoot and support the sport i think we will all be better off in the long run. Happy New Year and Happy New gun to everyone

For the op this is a bushmaster v-match. I love all guns.I tell my wife I don't need anymore guns but I never say I don't want anymore guns. Love you all and your thoughts and opinions.Be. Safe

Attachments

• IMG_1918.png
    IMG_1918.png
    356.2 KB · Views: 19
Bolt action for me for hunting. Maybe some folks prefer A/R platform to make up for lack of shot placement allowing for quick follow up shots...who knows or maybe they think they're going to come up upon a platoon of deer. Anyway to each their own.
Yeah, I hunt deer and larger game with a bolt action as well. But I hunt pigs with a .44 Mag Redhawk and an AR 15 with handloads, and don't need to "make up" for anything, your dig regardless. It's not about "platoons" of animals, it's about the most effective rifle and successful results. Luckily I don't get to decide what rifle you hunt with, and as you say, I expect the same courtesy from others, whether the scary black rifle offends their delicate sensibilities or not.

I have a dozen or so, some I don't care for, some are heavy (Rock River varmint) some are quality, dependable home defense and all time training guns (BCMs) and some are accurate lightweight killing machines.

Since some are just for training, and I punch a bunch of paper and steel, it makes me more lethal with the same platform in the field.

I only use two to hunt with. I hunt Pronghorn, Pigs, Aoudad, Deer and varmints with the 6.5 Grendel round.

On paper that round looks a bit weak, but in the field, it's been devastating on all the above.

I love the quick follow up shots with the AR. Since everything wears a can and almost all ARs are threaded, it's convenient.

I like building stuff. I use quality components and get a quality gun in the end. And you know, you have to hunt with it since you built it.

ARs I hunt with are accurate, or they don't leave the house.

All of us have "deer rifles" but variety is the spice of life.
I second this gentleman's reply - ar/s are so customizable and modular if you have a couple of lowers ar10/ar15 you can have a plethora of uppers set up for various calibers and set ups..fwiw

Could someone please explain which part about hunting with an AR is "awkward?"
They may not be as "capable" out as far as my boltguns, but I've seen the 5.56 round show itself to be pretty capable inside 300 yards.
In regards to being awkward though…
It's the most adjustable firearms platform in existence and simple enough anyone can assemble to their preferences like Legos. If you feel it's awkward, I'd venture to guess you need to work a bit in discovering which parts you like. 🤷‍♂️

Could someone please explain which part about hunting with an AR is "awkward?"
They may not be as "capable" out as far as my boltguns, but I've seen the 5.56 round show itself to be pretty capable inside 300 yards.
In regards to being awkward though…
It's the most adjustable firearms platform in existence and simple enough anyone can assemble to their preferences like Legos. If you feel it's awkward, I'd venture to guess you need to work a bit in discovering which parts you like. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah I don't understand that either. I carried one while in service so that might be why I I find carrying one pretty natural. Just like any other rifle one just figures out several different comfortable ways to carry a rifle.

They can tend to be heavy (not always), the magazine, even the relatively small ones, protrude from the bottom of the rifle. Most of the slings made for ARs aren't necessarily 2-point slings made for carrying. I generally don't carry my rifle around with a round in the chamber and safety engaged and with a bolt action I can feed a round in the chamber much more quietly than a semi-auto. Most ARs don't balance all that well and can tend to be muzzle heavy, making them a pain to carry.

Again…I have a couple of ARs and they're ok for varmint hunting, but you simply don't see many hunters using them in the Rocky Mountain region for big game. The vast majority of people use bolt action rifles. People generally don't hunt with semiautomatic rifles around here period. The Browning BAR isn't popular either…

That may be different for people hunting whitetail deer/wild hogs in the South and Midwest.

Ah ok lol. Been carrying one for almost twenty years here in Oregon. When coyote or varmint hunting I carry two rifles. Loaded and safety on. I only clear for climbing obstacles. Two point sling works fine for me. I carried an M4 clone I built, switched to an HBAR. I recently put on a SP1 contour 1-7". The vast majority probably does use a bolt rifle. It doesn't make an AR or semi auto less viable.

They can tend to be heavy (not always), the magazine, even the relatively small ones, protrude from the bottom of the rifle. Most of the slings made for ARs aren't necessarily 2-point slings made for carrying. I generally don't carry my rifle around with a round in the chamber and safety engaged and with a bolt action I can feed a round in the chamber much more quietly than a semi-auto. Most ARs don't balance all that well and can tend to be muzzle heavy, making them a pain to carry.

Again…I have a couple of ARs and they're ok for varmint hunting, but you simply don't see many hunters using them in the Rocky Mountain region for big game. The vast majority of people use bolt action rifles. People generally don't hunt with semiautomatic rifles around here period. The Browning BAR isn't popular either…

That may be different for people hunting whitetail deer/wild hogs in the South and Midwest.
All fair answers. I'm a PNW native and mountain hunter myself and prefer hunting with a boltgun too.
My little Blackout truck gun is extremely light, well balanced, handy and plenty for deer inside 300 yards.
With the help of many on here, I've been learning about how to build a match grade AR and purchasing parts for that rifle so I can make those 600+ yard shots from the second fooor of my ranch house on coyotes 😉

With the help of many on here, I've been learning about how to build a match grade AR and purchasing parts for that rifle so I can make those 600+ yard shots from the second fooor of my ranch house on coyotes 😉
If you aren't carrying it then a 24" bull barrel makes sense. 1-7" twist and some 73 gr ELDM's or 77 gr TMK's. Or a 20" with a can.

BTW I'm pretty green with envy. Jealously is an ugly thing lol.
After learning on here and chatting with White Oak, I ended up going with a 16" WOA Predator instead of the longer/heavier options just to keep overall length down with suppressor attached. Should get the barrel in the next month and be able to complete my build. Absolutely gonna be comfortable and capable for hunting 👌
I'll send you a pic of finished rifle 😉🤢

It's like anything else…it just depends what you're doing.

Take shotguns for example. Semiautomatics dominate waterfowl hunting, but almost no one uses a semiautomatic for trap, skeet, or sporting clays.

Not a lot of people use semiautomatics for upland bird hunting…some do, but most are using over/unders, side x sides, and even pumps.

Part of that is tradition…and part of it is utility.