Colt AR-15 A4 vs DPMS Prairie Panther

I'm pretty much a walnut/blued steel guy. Unlike many here, I actually don't have many rifles, but all nice wood.

Having said that, when they were cheap, picked up a couple of Rock Rivers, one a Varmint. Amazingly accurate for the money. For coyote, it can't be beat.

And for the "you don't need" crowd, we don't have a Bill of Needs ;)

Well I have kill 3 with my 25-06 Bolt , at my feeder before. One right after the other. Head shots. They were all confused. Another time I killed 2 out of 5. Same spot. They were confused to !! There like Quail , but they stop. LOL
Coldbore headshot @ 399 yards 55 gr BT.
1703606421427.jpeg

Coldbore shoulder @ 94 yards. One and done 53 gr VMAX.
1703606520258.jpeg

One and done each just over 100 yards with 53 gr VMAX.
1703606607217.jpeg

Shot on the run at 100 yards. Spinner and quick second shot put him down for good. 55 BT.
1703606702600.jpeg

I've dropped animals on the run with follow up shots from my bolt rifles. They are all just tools. All these are while hunting BLM public lands. We can't use feeders out here.

I know this is a Old Thread but , I have to put this out there. I have a few friends that I hunt with. That hunt with a AR type weapon. I was in combat for over 12 months and carried a AR. I don't understand why someone would want to hunt anything with a AR. There awkward to hunt with. If your shooting hogs out of a Helicopter, ok I got it. If your going to hunt big game like deer and so on. Buy yourself a hunting Rifle. I know this is a can of Worms , But I'm sorry. I do own AR's but I don't hunt with them. But that's just me. For all you AR guys out there , Be easy on me. LOL
Different strokes for different folks, to each his own. Experience indicates ARs have been really effective for over 60 years hunting PJboys and Sandrats.......hogs, coyotes, deer, varmints, personal space intruders, et el......the Timex of rifles....takes a lickin', keeps on tickin'. The Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs, Legos of rifles.....the "have it your way" option. :) :) :)

That certainly hasn't been the experience of anyone I know…they're cagey and MUCH smarter than a deer. One shot and they scatter and head for the bush!

Not saying that your experience didn't happen, just that this sure isn't typical.
Young pigs about 40 pounds. Th
Looks fancy….🤣

Ive got my eye on a spiral fluted barrel bolt gun at my local gun/hardware store (that I also work at now, talk about putting yourself in temptation's path! 🤣).

I don't believe for a second the spiral fluting actually does anything notable but DANG IT THEY LOOK COOL!

Seriously tho nice rifle, that's a different looking buttstock on there, did it come from the black rain ordnance people like that or is that an aftermarket modification? I don't know much about ARs, Canadian here so, you know, death by 1000 legislations… :(
You better hurry, or it will be gone. Like the Buck I saw this morning!!

I was surprised no one mentioned adjustability for different sized shooters. My wife and 3 daughters are all petite and not much over 5'. The AR family with an adjustable stock is excellent for them especially if it's cold and heavy layers are worn. My wife has killed 1 bull moose and 2 elk with AR family rifles in chamberings larger than the standard 5.56/223 and my other kids have all taken numerous deer with 5.56/223 ARs with hand loaded rounds.
Yep all new hunters I take are with one chambered in Grendel or 300blk. In fact the past week I've got 3 new young hunter deer with the blk. Very adjustable

I'm a former High Power competitor, used AR15's in Service Rifle and Match Rifle. Still shoot in club matches. When shooting Mid Range Prone(MRP), shooting is at 600 yards, with sling. Anyhow, that 10 ring is 12 inches, the X ring is 6 inches, the AR15 does quite well. They'll hold the X ring if the Rifleman can, even better if shooting from a bipod or another rest was allowed. A competition ready AR15 is very accurate for most hunting applications in proper weights and calibers.

First of all, thank you for your service to our country. Next, I think there are many reasons why people want to hunt with AR's. There has been an appetite for military like equipment in this country for some time now—especially from those that have not served. I won't list on this thread how many AR's I have—but I have many. Some are rigged up for hunting deer (AR 10's, SCAR 17, and NEMO 300 Win Mag) and I have killed nice deer with all of them. I do use suppressors on them. Additionally, all have very nice aftermarket triggers from 1.5lbs to 4lbs. Oddly enough, perhaps my favorite AR 10 I hunt with is an Armalite AR 10 with a 20" heavy barrel (threaded—I use a suppressor) chambered in 243. Although a 243 is a little light for my preference for deer (y'all don't get offended at me because I know it is shot placement and not how big the cartridge is) I have killed many deer with it and the few that ran didn't run far. To get back to the point, I think there is just a huge appetite in our country for the AR type weapons and many are chambered in calibers big enough to ethically harvest big game. But, an AR type weapon rigged up with a nice scope is going to substantially weight more than a bolt gun and won't be as easy to pack around the hunting woods.
I have always loved the .243 for deer. When adults ask me advise on first rifle to start with I say .243.

Not sure how big your deer are but if anyone thinks that to lite for deer. Hmm. We have pretty big deer here and boy the drop fast to a .243.
Just did a great load with the 75 hht. And it's had been fantastic for the 3 I've taken this year.

I like my Rock River Arms .223 for hunting prairie dogs and other varmints out to around 300 yards. I also have a 25-45 Sharps upper and I would like to chase a buck antelope with it if I can ever draw the tag. However, those are two specific hunts where I don't have to carry the rifle much.

To your point, I wouldn't want to hunt with an AR15 or AR10 where I have to hike with it. They are awkward to carry…I agree. I would much rather carry a bolt action rifle than an AR style rifle.

I suppose if you're sitting in a tree stand and shooting whitetail deer, they would be ok.

Where I live, almost everyone owns one or more AR style rifles, but almost no one hunts big game with them for the same reasons.

I know this is a Old Thread but , I have to put this out there. I have a few friends that I hunt with. That hunt with a AR type weapon. I was in combat for over 12 months and carried a AR. I don't understand why someone would want to hunt anything with a AR. There awkward to hunt with. If your shooting hogs out of a Helicopter, ok I got it. If your going to hunt big game like deer and so on. Buy yourself a hunting Rifle. I know this is a can of Worms , But I'm sorry. I do own AR's but I don't hunt with them. But that's just me. For all you AR guys out there , Be easy on me. LOL

Well, I own well over 100 firearms, and lets leave it at that, and currently, I have 5 AR platforms that are well suited to hunting game, varmints and comp shooting. Personally, I have never found the platform to be "awkward" in a proper build. Three of those AR's are extremely accurate, very flexible to change/customize, and easy to work on if needed. Reliability has never been a concern, and rapid followup shots, when needed, has its place on some hunts and in some areas.

As someone who hunts with bows, muzzle loaders, handguns, rifles, airguns, shotguns, etc, the AR is just another tool I and others use to enjoy our sport. If it is not right for you, then that is why there are so many various firearms available. YMMV

As someone who ate, slept, and **** with a M16a4, and later a M4, if you think they're awkward to carry, you haven't spent enough time with one. What, a pistol grip is a deal breaker? Come on, there's far more difficult things than carrying a sub 8lbs pistol grip rifle.

IF there's any concession to one being slightly less ergonomic to carry, it is made up for in spades by the shooting ergonomics, and that's the whole point of carrying a rifle, to shoot something.

The colt A4 is an expensive military look alike. I have the upper double chrome lined 1:7 20 inch barrel with a custom lower because i wanted an better trigger and adjustable stock. It sits in the gun safe collecting dust.

It was my first build and I was stupid in trusting other peoples "Knowledge" As barrel length goes up, so does velocity. Going from 16 inch to 20 inch can be 200 fps. Higher velocity with the super fast 1:7 twist rate limits you to the heavier more expensive bullets. I reload so 55 gr are the cheapest bulk bullets to buy. I loaded them up and the 1:7 caused them to splatter a target at 100 yards with the pills going through the paper at odd angles. It only shot well with slow 62 grain or your 69 and 75 grain match bullets. I'll sell you the upper cheap. LOL Actually I have a friend who has one collecting dust also that wants to get ride of it and then buy one of my SS fluted 1:9

DPMS Prairie Panther... better stainless 1:8 20 inch barrel. But you are still stuck with the heavy bullet twist rate, but not as bad as 1:7. You could slow down 55 gr and then the accuracy would go up or just always shoot 62 gr and up

You said phosphate bolt. Just cheaper standard parts. Does say 2 stage trigger that is lighter in pound pull rate. carbon fiber tube help keep the gun from being front heavy... better balance.

This I took the scope off of and it collects dust. The big scope actually had to sit too far back and I installed a Redfield aim point 4 mil dot/laser

Just swap barrels with a 1:9

DSCN1836_zpsd06dca0d.jpg