Colt AR-15 A4 vs DPMS Prairie Panther

Grazing Bit

So I've been looking for a coyote rifle that is (1) light enough to pack around easy (2) accurate and (3) reliable (in no particular order) and after much elimanation and research I've decided the two rifles in the title are the closest to what I'm looking for.
So basically I just want to know what experiences anybody has with either of them and what one you think would be the better choice for coyotes.

Another thing, the I just called DPMS and they said that the Prairie Panther has a phosphated bolt (and I assume bolt carrrier, too), while the Colt is Chrome lined. So could anyone tell me the differences, advantages and disadvantages to either to type of lining?
Thanks for any info.

The colt A4 is an expensive military look alike. I have the upper double chrome lined 1:7 20 inch barrel with a custom lower because i wanted an better trigger and adjustable stock. It sits in the gun safe collecting dust.

It was my first build and I was stupid in trusting other peoples "Knowledge" As barrel length goes up, so does velocity. Going from 16 inch to 20 inch can be 200 fps. Higher velocity with the super fast 1:7 twist rate limits you to the heavier more expensive bullets. I reload so 55 gr are the cheapest bulk bullets to buy. I loaded them up and the 1:7 caused them to splatter a target at 100 yards with the pills going through the paper at odd angles. It only shot well with slow 62 grain or your 69 and 75 grain match bullets. I'll sell you the upper cheap. LOL Actually I have a friend who has one collecting dust also that wants to get ride of it and then buy one of my SS fluted 1:9

DPMS Prairie Panther... better stainless 1:8 20 inch barrel. But you are still stuck with the heavy bullet twist rate, but not as bad as 1:7. You could slow down 55 gr and then the accuracy would go up or just always shoot 62 gr and up

You said phosphate bolt. Just cheaper standard parts. Does say 2 stage trigger that is lighter in pound pull rate. carbon fiber tube help keep the gun from being front heavy... better balance.

This I took the scope off of and it collects dust. The big scope actually had to sit too far back and I installed a Redfield aim point 4 mil dot/laser

3A_zpse2651c79.jpg

DSCN1836_zpsd06dca0d.jpg

I know this is a Old Thread but , I have to put this out there. I have a few friends that I hunt with. That hunt with a AR type weapon. I was in combat for over 12 months and carried a AR. I don't understand why someone would want to hunt anything with a AR. There awkward to hunt with. If your shooting hogs out of a Helicopter, ok I got it. If your going to hunt big game like deer and so on. Buy yourself a hunting Rifle. I know this is a can of Worms , But I'm sorry. I do own AR's but I don't hunt with them. But that's just me. For all you AR guys out there , Be easy on me. LOL

I know this is a Old Thread but , I have to put this out there. I have a few friends that I hunt with. That hunt with a AR type weapon. I was in combat for over 12 months and carried a AR. I don't understand why someone would want to hunt anything with a AR. There awkward to hunt with. If your shooting hogs out of a Helicopter, ok I got it. If your going to hunt big game like deer and so on. Buy yourself a hunting Rifle. I know this is a can of Worms , But I'm sorry. I do own AR's but I don't hunt with them. But that's just me. For all you AR guys out there , Be easy on me. LOL
It's a "to each is their own" type! What's good about them is you can switch an upper and change calibers/cartridges/barrel lengths to meet/suit your needs. Deer isn't a "big" game animal, but you can shoot many calibers from 17-50cal bullets from an AR15 platform which could net large and possible dangerous game (AR10/sr25/m110 not needed).

I know this is an Old Thread but , I have to put this out there. I have a few friends that I hunt with. That hunt with a AR type weapon. I was in combat for over 12 months and carried a AR. I don't understand why someone would want to hunt anything with a AR. There awkward to hunt with. If your shooting hogs out of a Helicopter, ok I got it. If your going to hunt big game like deer and so on. Buy yourself a hunting Rifle. I know this is a can of Worms , But I'm sorry. I do own AR's but I don't hunt with them. But that's just me. For all you AR guys out there , Be easy on me. LOL
I think it has to do with how the rifle is set up. I wouldn't want to hunt with a 20" A2 with fixed sights and a 5-7lb mil spec trigger, but a .223 with 52-55gr NBT, good optic and a great trigger for coyotes or prairie dogs would be perfect. Add a suppressor for quieter fun. Switch uppers to .350 legend, 6.5 Grendel or 6 ARC for deer. Pretty flexible and if set up to fit you and built with good components, they can make a great hunting platform.

I know this is an Old Thread but , I have to put this out there. I have a few friends that I hunt with. That hunt with a AR type weapon. I was in combat for over 12 months and carried a AR. I don't understand why someone would want to hunt anything with a AR. There awkward to hunt with. If your shooting hogs out of a Helicopter, ok I got it. If your going to hunt big game like deer and so on. Buy yourself a hunting Rifle. I know this is a can of Worms , But I'm sorry. I do own AR's but I don't hunt with them. But that's just me. For all you AR guys out there , Be easy on me. LOL
I have a dozen or so, some I don't care for, some are heavy (Rock River varmint) some are quality, dependable home defense and all time training guns (BCMs) and some are accurate lightweight killing machines.

Since some are just for training, and I punch a bunch of paper and steel, it makes me more lethal with the same platform in the field.

I only use two to hunt with. I hunt Pronghorn, Pigs, Aoudad, Deer and varmints with the 6.5 Grendel round.

On paper that round looks a bit weak, but in the field, it's been devastating on all the above.

I love the quick follow up shots with the AR. Since everything wears a can and almost all ARs are threaded, it's convenient.

I like building stuff. I use quality components and get a quality gun in the end. And you know, you have to hunt with it since you built it.

ARs I hunt with are accurate, or they don't leave the house.

All of us have "deer rifles" but variety is the spice of life.

I got my hands on my first M16A1 in 1980 in the Army, 11B. I know the rifle and it's variants very well, so it seemed natural to train my kids in the use of them. They got their first deer with a Rock River AR15. We would shoot for high shoulder shots, with 75 grain soft points, ranges averaged 200 yards. Those deer hit the ground like they had been hit with a truck. I gave my son that rifle, he went on to kill quite a few more deer with it, none got away. After his time as an 13F in the Army, he still likes hunting with it, as well as other rifles. To each his own.

You sound like you're following the anti mob!
I find the rifles very nice to carry and hunt with!
Especially for BIG GAME LIKE (DEER) LoL
You probably think that the black rifle is an assault weapon!

I haven't ever shot pigs out of a helicopter, but I use my Ar15 to shoot pigs. Due to the amount of pugs we have on our farm the 30 rds mags are great, I even band 2 mags together. Like someone else stated I can push 2 pins and put another upper on, whether different caliber or different barrel lengths. I would trade one of my ar's for a Benelli r1 if it came with a 30 rds mags.

Your post reminds me of the local anti-gun guy who wrote into the local paper that he supposedly supported the 2nd Amendment, but having "been in combat and carried an AR with a 15 round magazine all over Vietnam," he didn't understand how anyone needed such a "weapon of war," for self defense or hunting. I responded that if he was "in combat" he sure hadn't carried an "AR," and 20 rd mags were standard back then, not 15.

If you were in combat you carried a selective fire M-16 or M4 in 5.56 mm. You certainly didn't carry an AR. And AR's are pig magic, and not just with heavier bullets, (and who hunts hogs over brush country in a $1500 per operating hour helicopter?) I always thought you needed a big slow heavy bullet for them, but the light fast .22 bullet does them instantly. And BTW, the 2nd Amendment isn't about "need" or hunting. The AR platform isn't "awkward to hunt with," and is even more versatile in .300 Blackout or other calibers which are easily changed out with the modular upper.

I hate to say it, but you sound like a Fudd, and I have to question if you actually own an AR at all, if you think they were ever USGI issue. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
You sound like you're following the anti mob!
I find the rifles very nice to carry and hunt with!
Especially for BIG GAME LIKE (DEER) LoL
You probably think that the black rifle is an assault weapon!
Well said, my thoughts exactly. Another "AR stands for 'Assault Rifle' and it's a 'weapon of war,' and it weighs as much as ten full boxes and has the shoulder thing that comes down and fires the most powerful bullet in the world that's only good for killing people and it can shoot 30 rounds in one second and no one needs a 'fully semi-automatic' one for hunting and I know cuz I carried one in combat!," illogical and uninformed post.

I'm battling the anti-gun, pro-criminal, unilateral victim disarmament crowd constantly here in California, and our most dangerous enemies aren't the blatant anti-gunners, who make no pretense about their hope for a police state, but the Fudd gun owners opining that "no one needs" an AR, but they support the 2A otherwise for hunting approved firearms. As if the Founders and Framers crafted the genius 2nd Amendment so colonists could go hunt squirrels…. ! 🙄

Sorry, I normally lurk here trying to learn from all the old hats about reloading and new calibers, and don't mean to be a complete jerk, but this one pushed a button.

Last edited:
I haven't hunted big game with an AR15, but I have mine set up for LR coyotes and plan to hunt deer in the future with it. Take a look at the thread I'll link for guys hunting big game with .223 rem and 77 gr TMK, there are AR15's and hunting rifles mixed in. Here's my group I shot with my AR this weekend using mag fed 75 gr ELDM's @ 550 yards. I shot off my backpack that was stuffed too tall.

1703596723833.jpeg

Bolt action for me for hunting. Maybe some folks prefer A/R platform to make up for lack of shot placement allowing for quick follow up shots...who knows or maybe they think they're going to come up upon a platoon of deer. Anyway to each their own.