Colt AR-15 A4 vs DPMS Prairie Panther

This sounds a bit insane, or you simply have never hunted with one. I have custom rifle and just a few 15's. As someone who kills over 100 big game animals a year. My go to platform is a 15. To me it is the easiest to carry and use. Absolutely less akward than a "hunting rifle" hence the reason that platform is so popular. Nothing beats a safety that you can flip on and off while drawing without moving you have out of natural shooting position.

Bolt action for me for hunting. Maybe some folks prefer A/R platform to make up for lack of shot placement allowing for quick follow up shots...who knows or maybe they think they're going to come up upon a platoon of deer. Anyway to each their own.
Nope I like the most effective firearm possible. Which is the 15. Rarely do you need a second shot but hunt long enough and you either will need one or you are a liar. Follow up shots are easier but this statement is ignorant. If someone shoots better with the ergonomics of an ar than that is the best one for them.

And yes here in Michigan we have had unlimited doe tags and yes it helps when you can make fast predictable shots.

Bolt action for me for hunting. Maybe some folks prefer A/R platform to make up for lack of shot placement allowing for quick follow up shots...who knows or maybe they think they're going to come up upon a platoon of deer. Anyway to each their own.
Here is a platoon of pigs. Semi auto I can get more than one, bolt action you can get one
1703597961174.png

That's sounds very judgemental and condescending lol. I built my AR from spare parts and it's probably as accurate, if not more accurate than the standard off the shelf bolt action rifle. Magazine capacities are set by hunting laws to that's inconsequential. In the end the AR15 is no different than any other semi auto rifle. My AR15 fits the role of a truck gun just fine. From coyotes to 600 yards and deer TBD it's just fine.

I'm with you Brother!!

I know this is a Old Thread but , I have to put this out there. I have a few friends that I hunt with. That hunt with a AR type weapon. I was in combat for over 12 months and carried a AR. I don't understand why someone would want to hunt anything with a AR. There awkward to hunt with. If your shooting hogs out of a Helicopter, ok I got it. If your going to hunt big game like deer and so on. Buy yourself a hunting Rifle. I know this is a can of Worms , But I'm sorry. I do own AR's but I don't hunt with them. But that's just me. For all you AR guys out there , Be easy on me. LOL
What country was it that you were issued an AR-15 to carry in combat?

I live in Texas and hunt hogs a lot using AR platforms and bolt guns. I agree that the AR's are not as easy for me to carry but I use them thermal hunting when I know chances are good to see multiple hogs and I won't have to be walking with it much. If I'm walking or setting up for longer shots I'll use a bolt gun, for me the bolt guns are more comfortable.

Well I have kill 3 with my 25-06 Bolt , at my feeder before. One right after the other. Head shots. They were all confused. Another time I killed 2 out of 5. Same spot. They were confused to !! There like Quail , but they stop. LOL
Just think if you had an AR-15 you could have gotten all of them. I feel like the comment about shooting 3,one right after another and all being head shots, that I should be wearing boots. From my experience, when you pull the trigger the first time they scatter at a high rate of speed. And in my area they don't typically come back to a feeder right after being shot at. What country issued you an Ar15 for combat?

Well I have kill 3 with my 25-06 Bolt , at my feeder before. One right after the other. Head shots. They were all confused. Another time I killed 2 out of 5. Same spot. They were confused to !! There like Quail , but they stop. LOL
That certainly hasn't been the experience of anyone I know…they're cagey and MUCH smarter than a deer. One shot and they scatter and head for the bush!

Not saying that your experience didn't happen, just that this sure isn't typical.

I live in Texas and hunt hogs a lot using AR platforms and bolt guns. I agree that the AR's are not as easy for me to carry but I use them thermal hunting when I know chances are good to see multiple hogs and I won't have to be walking with it much. If I'm walking or setting up for longer shots I'll use a bolt gun, for me the bolt guns are more comfortable.
Yea , I had my AR set up with a ATN on it. Ended up taking it off. Put it on a bolt. But each his own. Good Hunting Brother. Florida here.

Recent Posts