Colt AR-15 A4 vs DPMS Prairie Panther

Black Rain Ordinance. Expensive but deadly accurate.
Looks fancy….🤣

Ive got my eye on a spiral fluted barrel bolt gun at my local gun/hardware store (that I also work at now, talk about putting yourself in temptation's path! 🤣).

I don't believe for a second the spiral fluting actually does anything notable but DANG IT THEY LOOK COOL!

Seriously tho nice rifle, that's a different looking buttstock on there, did it come from the black rain ordnance people like that or is that an aftermarket modification? I don't know much about ARs, Canadian here so, you know, death by 1000 legislations… :(

Looks fancy….🤣

Ive got my eye on a spiral fluted barrel bolt gun at my local gun/hardware store (that I also work at now, talk about putting yourself in temptation's path! 🤣).

I don't believe for a second the spiral fluting actually does anything notable but DANG IT THEY LOOK COOL!

Seriously tho nice rifle, that's a different looking buttstock on there, did it come from the black rain ordnance people like that or is that an aftermarket modification? I don't know much about ARs, Canadian here so, you know, death by 1000 legislations… :(
I couldn't work at a gun shop, 1 I'd never get a paycheck and 2 they would want me working during elk/deer seasons

Pig rig

Attachments

• 1729.jpeg
    1729.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 41
It's a "to each is their own" type! What's good about them is you can switch an upper and change calibers/cartridges/barrel lengths to meet/suit your needs. Deer isn't a "big" game animal, but you can shoot many calibers from 17-50cal bullets from an AR15 platform which could net large and possible dangerous game (AR10/sr25/m110 not needed).
First of all, thank you for your service to our country. Next, I think there are many reasons why people want to hunt with AR's. There has been an appetite for military like equipment in this country for some time now—especially from those that have not served. I won't list on this thread how many AR's I have—but I have many. Some are rigged up for hunting deer (AR 10's, SCAR 17, and NEMO 300 Win Mag) and I have killed nice deer with all of them. I do use suppressors on them. Additionally, all have very nice aftermarket triggers from 1.5lbs to 4lbs. Oddly enough, perhaps my favorite AR 10 I hunt with is an Armalite AR 10 with a 20" heavy barrel (threaded—I use a suppressor) chambered in 243. Although a 243 is a little light for my preference for deer (y'all don't get offended at me because I know it is shot placement and not how big the cartridge is) I have killed many deer with it and the few that ran didn't run far. To get back to the point, I think there is just a huge appetite in our country for the AR type weapons and many are chambered in calibers big enough to ethically harvest big game. But, an AR type weapon rigged up with a nice scope is going to substantially weight more than a bolt gun and won't be as easy to pack around the hunting woods.

Bolt action for me for hunting. Maybe some folks prefer A/R platform to make up for lack of shot placement allowing for quick follow up shots...who knows or maybe they think they're going to come up upon a platoon of deer. Anyway to each their own.
Another that is oblivious
In my state you are restricted to hunt with five round mag just like bolt guns.
I purposely put together a gas less rifle so I could hunt PA. ( no vent hole in barrel )
It print 3/8 @ 100
And lets say I'm fortunate to see a platoon of deer, 3 tags = 3shots = dinner

I was surprised no one mentioned adjustability for different sized shooters. My wife and 3 daughters are all petite and not much over 5'. The AR family with an adjustable stock is excellent for them especially if it's cold and heavy layers are worn. My wife has killed 1 bull moose and 2 elk with AR family rifles in chamberings larger than the standard 5.56/223 and my other kids have all taken numerous deer with 5.56/223 ARs with hand loaded rounds.

I have many ARs and really enjoy them for varmits. For deer, I prefer a bolt gun. My AR15s have various twists from 1:7 up to 1:9. The 7 twist is fun with heavies at longer ranges.
Surprisingly accurate. A much different rifle than the M16 I was issued back in the day.
I think this comes down to personal choice for your particular application.
Don't think I would ever hunt with my AR10 because they are too heavy.

Looks fancy….🤣

Thanks for the compliments. It came with the adjustable Magpul buttstock.

I have 2 rock rivers.1 in 204 11 twist and a 223 8 twist both are very accurate and reliable. And when a fox pops out the 204 will run him down.Shot placement is great when time is on your side but speed will run a fox down before he can get back to the wood line.Fast follow up shot with taking your finger off kill switch

Well I have kill 3 with my 25-06 Bolt , at my feeder before. One right after the other. Head shots. They were all confused. Another time I killed 2 out of 5. Same spot. They were confused to !! There like Quail , but they stop. LOL
Imagine how many more you could have gotten with a decent semi auto. Clearly you are more comfortable with your 06. But whatever you are comfortable with is what you will shoot best. And one thing I've learned from ar's to glocks. They may feel weird at first but at some point you will realize why they choose to use them in so many cases. They are very easy and natural. If they were that awkward not a single person would ever use them to breach a house or building with his or her life on the line.

Yea , I had my AR set up with a ATN on it. Ended up taking it off. Put it on a bolt. But each his own. Good Hunting Brother. Florida here.
Well that's your problem you choose an atn. You should take it off the bolt gun also. Those things are garbage. So much so mine went away for free. They are absolutely worthless on an ar. Bolt gun they are ok.

Looks fancy….🤣

It will indeed dissipate heat more than non fluted. If you ever need it is a different story but increase surface area increase cooling.