Colorado Cattle Association sues over Wolves

We saw a pair of wolves just past the fishing bridge in Yellowstone on the way home from our deer hunt in wyoming. In fifteen years this was the first sighting I've made. Originally I was told the goal was 30 breeding pairs and then they would re-evaluate the need to keep the packs under control. Well the number of breeding pairs is well over 100 and probably closer to 200 so the excess animals are branching out across the western states. Sighting in California have now been made in the sierras all the way to Fresno and in Nevada within 50 miles of Las Vegas. If the so called biologists had stuck to the original number, we would have been fine, but the feds have overrulled every attempt by the states to control the situation. Now it is so far out of hand that the damage to livestock and game animals will be irreversible.

We saw a pair of wolves just past the fishing bridge in Yellowstone on the way home from our deer hunt in wyoming. In fifteen years this was the first sighting I've made. Originally I was told the goal was 30 breeding pairs and then they would re-evaluate the need to keep the packs under control. Well the number of breeding pairs is well over 100 and probably closer to 200 so the excess animals are branching out across the western states. Sighting in California have now been made in the sierras all the way to Fresno and in Nevada within 50 miles of Las Vegas. If the so called biologists had stuck to the original number, we would have been fine, but the feds have overrulled every attempt by the states to control the situation. Now it is so far out of hand that the damage to livestock and game animals will be irreversible.

Which is EXACTLY why the ESA should not see its' 51st birthday!

The goals that they set for recovery,MT met with enough to cover Idaho and Wyoming.Canada is huge and has 1/10 basically population of USA,and huge swaths of wilderness.The wolf almost wiped out elk in a lot of our rugged areas.The numbers for game had been up for years and years.It only took about 5 years for them to hammer game.There area large areas around me and the wolf moved to after another as they ate there way around MT.Starting at the border of Canada, where the original wolf research started, by the biologist that ran the whole MT program.N fork of flathead, then Middle for of Flathead,then S fork of Flathead.While they pulled wolfs from Yellowstone and put in other areas.I now have to travel to other side of divide like almost the rest of Mt to find elk.I use to shoot a 6x6 every year, I still look,I put in 200 mtn miles and 55 days

The goals that they set for recovery,MT met with enough to cover Idaho and Wyoming.Canada is huge and has 1/10 basically population of USA,and huge swaths of wilderness.The wolf almost wiped out elk in a lot of our rugged areas.The numbers for game had been up for years and years.It only took about 5 years for them to hammer game.There area large areas around me and the wolf moved to after another as they ate there way around MT.Starting at the border of Canada, where the original wolf research started, by the biologist that ran the whole MT program.N fork of flathead, then Middle for of Flathead,then S fork of Flathead.While they pulled wolfs from Yellowstone and put in other areas.I now have to travel to other side of divide like almost the rest of Mt to find elk.I use to shoot a 6x6 every year, I still look,I put in 200 mtn miles and 55 days
A friend went with an outfitter for elk in the Bob Marshal last season. Was lead to believe there were lots of opportunities to get a bull if you hunted hard. Never saw an elk or fresh sign first 3 days so he asked the cook how did the earlier clients do? Cook said they think they saw a cow several miles away on the last day and added
no elk taken in a couple years. My friend didn't expect an elk behind every tree but to be misled by an outfitter is another thing. Said he tried to talk to the owners and give them a chance to explain the " many opportunities " when they haven't gotten a client an elk in a few years?
He said that didn't go well.

I saw 6 cows on my side of the mountains and not one mature mule deer.They game in my area have the wolf, cat,grizz, and most times deep snow and hard winters.East sides a different ball game, but a lot of hunters are getting concentrated over there.I grew up here and know many guides first hand and here what they have to say

We saw a pair of wolves just past the fishing bridge in Yellowstone on the way home from our deer hunt in wyoming. In fifteen years this was the first sighting I've made. Originally I was told the goal was 30 breeding pairs and then they would re-evaluate the need to keep the packs under control. Well the number of breeding pairs is well over 100 and probably closer to 200 so the excess animals are branching out across the western states.

nothing quite like an internet forum

200 breeding pairs in yellowstone...

Numbers

• As of January 2023, there are at least 108 wolves in the park. Ten packs were noted. Wolves in Yellowstone sit at the core of a larger population connected throughout the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem.
  • In general, wolf numbers have fluctuated between 83 and 123 wolves since 2009.

nothing quite like an internet forum

200 breeding pairs in yellowstone...

Numbers

• As of January 2023, there are at least 108 wolves in the park. Ten packs were noted. Wolves in Yellowstone sit at the core of a larger population connected throughout the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem.
  • In general, wolf numbers have fluctuated between 83 and 123 wolves since 2009.

Not to be rude, but most of us don't give a rats behind how many are in the park. We all really wish they all would've STAYED in the park.

I believe the point he was making was that we were lied to and continue to be.

They they told us they'd never get a big enough population to affect game numbers OUTSIDE THE PARK. How has that workedfor us?
They told us that when they got 30 breeding pairs, they could be taken off the list. We blew past that goal, but the wolf huggers kept moving the goalposts. Now we have areas, like where SP6x6 lives, that the game has all but disappeared.

They STILL do their level best to downplay the numbers of wolves and are even calling for them to be relisted!
Apparently we don't YET have enough wolves!

And what really chaps my behind is they are doing the same thing with Grizzlies.

Not to be rude, but most of us don't give a rats behind how many are in the park. We all really wish they all would've STAYED in the park.

I believe the point he was making was that we were lied to and continue to be.

They they told us they'd never get a big enough population to affect game numbers OUTSIDE THE PARK. How has that workedfor us?
They told us that when they got 30 breeding pairs, they could be taken off the list. We blew past that goal, but the wolf huggers kept moving the goalposts. Now we have areas, like where SP6x6 lives, that the game has all but disappeared.

They STILL do their level best to downplay the numbers of wolves and are even calling for them to be relisted!
Apparently we don't YET have enough wolves!

And what really chaps my behind is they are doing the same thing with Grizzlies.

Make the point without talking out your ***, it's really not that hard. Everybody knows we got screwed with the moving goal post. At least MT had one, we don't have an upper limit.

Make the point without talking out your ***, it's really not that hard. Everybody knows we got screwed with the moving goal post.
Make a point without quoting useless data!

The biggest problem is, it's ALL useless because even though we pay the fish and game departments wages they STILL side with the wolf huggers and downplay the numbers and the effect on game.

Typical, they'd rather limit/stop hunting vs control the population.

Make a point without quoting useless data!

The biggest problem is, it's ALL useless because even though we pay the fish and game departments wages they STILL side with the wolf huggers and downplay the numbers and the effect on game.
That's why when you have to report your tags you report zero taken as that data will be used against us.

That's why when you have to report your tags you report zero taken as that data will be used against us.
I had a conversation with an MTFWP biologist who told me that there "are only 2 wolves on the Beartooth face" and "people don't know what they are looking at."
I guess that means we shoot what we see and call them coyotes.