Cleaning your brass

yes you got to do some work on gas guns with suppressors and even then the gas is coming back and chit gets dirty

The heavy sooting is interesting. I can picture it with a suppressor.
Initially the cases would seal to chamber walls, and soon the pressure drops enough for case release. However, the pressure is dropping way slower/longer in a suppressor, and there is purely carboned up gas held within it to suck back (instead of fresh air in a much longer barrel).

I'm not a proponent of over cleaning brass. But something would need to be done with that mess!

I'v done all 3 during the years. Vibratory- unless you don't have anywhere to be for 12 hours. Sonic- cleans faster with a salt mixture & food citric acid (bulk Amazon) of Sams Club degreaser also, careful it's hot! Stainless pins- best of all. Used with food grade citric acid, a splash of Dawn and 2 caps of Sams Club degreaser, set for 40-45 minutes, more than 45 minutes and the case mouths will peen(not a big issue), completely tumble in media separator to remove ALL pins and shake as much water as possible, put in old food dehydrator to dry, DONE. I'm usually cycling 3-4 rifles at the same time so I make an evening of case prep/clean.

The heavy sooting is interesting. I can picture it with a suppressor.
Initially the cases would seal to chamber walls, and soon the pressure drops enough for case release. However, the pressure is dropping way slower/longer in a suppressor, and there is purely carboned up gas held within it to suck back (instead of fresh air in a much longer barrel).

I'm not a proponent of over cleaning brass. But something would need to be done with that mess!

If the suppressor is blowing that much back into the chamber, I would think It needs to be cleaned. Brakes need to be cleaned occasionally so why not suppressors ?

J E CUSTOM

I posted in that recent brass cleaning thread about my thoughts on SS tumbling & U/S cleaning(I have never done walnut vibration tumbling).

I do have a SS pin tumbler that I built myself & I use burnishing compound in it, they come up pretty good but it takes way longet than just U/S cleaning.
I can get my brass carbon free & fairly shiny with citric acid in 9 minutes.

I will have to put up a before & after.

I have tried many commercial cleaning solutions including one shot, Birchwood cases, Lyman brass cleaner & nothing works anywhere near as good a citric acid which I can just get from the baking isle in the supermarket.

I saw this Video and thought it could help those just getting started reloading and maybe a few others.

I don't use a suppressor and did not know that they were tough on brass.

J E CUSTOM

Excellent video on comparing 3 technologies..with or without suppressors. I have the first two and probly use the corn cob tumbler method the most but learned from your video about the new technology. Thank you. I have been reloading for 50 years and wonder how they even fired fifty yrs ago given methods/tools back then. I love the advancements but nothing replaces the fundamentals of very careful methods/measurements and records. Safety rules.

I am still looking for a MSDS for brass juice to find out what chemical's are in it before I try it. Some chemicals can be harmful to brass and zinc, so I won't to be sure it wont mess up my cases before I use it. It does look good though.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.