Cleaning your brass

if you turn off the gas (close the adjustable gas block) on a gas gun then you dont get all that gunk back in the chamber, in your mag, on your bolt, or on your brass-- but then you have a "bolt action" gas gun --- I actually run a subsonic 308 AR this way as it wont cycle the action anyway and the brass comes out pretty clean (just like in a bolt gun)---it is the DI system that really gunks up the brass, bolt, chamber etc--- as they say "don't c**p where you eat" -- but I do know a guy that ran a 3 day tactical class suppressed sbr and ran over 1500 rounds without cleaning and his gun still operated fine at the end of the class, was a pain to clean though

They claim that the suppressor does not need to be cleaned due to the hot gasses unless you run un-coated lead bullets (then the baffles get a lead build up on them), my suppressors can be disassembled, and I do check them occasionally-- and the baffles still look fine and are not hard to remove or have noticeable build up on them so I have not cleaned them at all, but only have a few thou rounds through each of them

I have a vibratory, and a ss tumbler--I liked the ss tumbler as it cleans better/faster BUT just recently saw some people saying that when you use the ss pins in the tumbler it cleans inside the neck too much and it can cause inconsistent bullet "stiction" and cause higher ES/SD numbers and flyers over just brushing inside the necks

anyone tried the "sharp shoot r brass monkey cleaner"??? -- claims that you mix up some water/ powder cleaner and saok for 20-30 min https://sharpshootr.com/brass-monkey/

So I did some brass cleaning in my cheap $40 ultrasonic yesterday & just wanted to show the results for those who have never dealt with them before
As mentioned previously I use ciric acid, 1 teaspoon to 300ml hot water with some sink detergent.

I do 3x3 minute cycles on my machine.

20200521_220120.jpg

20200521_220031.jpg

20200521_220257.jpg

20200521_220201-jpg.195106

Pretty hard to take an internal picture but the inside comes up brilliantly clean & all the carbon removed.
The primer pockets get a uniformer run through them anyway so the little bit of residue goes anyway.

Attachments

• 20200521_220201.jpg
    20200521_220201.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
My suppressed ar casings look filthy just like that. No matter the cartridge, or if I have a gas block tuned correctly. I vibrate clean them, it works fine.

I don't clean bolt gun brass

jinxed myself.

shot a boat load through my suppressed AR in the rainy mist, it got so dirty it started failing to pick up the next and I hosed it in lcp and kept running... then tossed all my brass in a ziplock for a week. Been tumbling for 8 hours and still got carbon on the sides of the cases.

oops

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.