Brass cleaning

montana bob

Just wondering what your thoughts are about sonic case cleaners VS stainless media case cleaning. I've used conventional media, corn cob-walnut and looking for a better way.

I use the stainless media and then thrown the cases in a vib tumbler with Hornady one shot media to dry them off. They come out better than new. I use the large 20 lb tumbler and run them for 5 hours. I also have the small 2 pound rubber drums and a mod kit to change my rollers over to accommodate them. They will do far fewer cases in about half the time. I also have an ultrasonic cleaner but it isn't even close to the stainless in cleaning quality however it will clean stuff OK if you are in a hurry. The only downside to stainless cleaning is that the case mouth gets shot peened and need a light inside chamfer afterwards. I trim and anneal on a regular basis so that is not much of an issue for me.

I'm not very familiar with the brands of tumblers made for stainless pins. Which brand's are considered the most durable or best?

I don't know which are the "best" tumblers. However, the guys who sell the stainless media also will provide a rock tumbler. It is a Thumblers Tumbler or something close to that name. They are actually made 10 miles South of me and I've been to their shop to buy extra belts and such. They were very helpful. I don't know about other brands of tumbler but I've been using both their large and smaller drums on the same base and it has not had any issues after several hundred hours of run time. The guys who sell the media (at STM) could probably tell you why they picked the tumbler that they sell. They call it a high speed tumbler if I remember correctly.

Bob, I first had the cob or walnut media, then heated ultrasonic, not Stainless media. The first 2 left me wanting cleaner brass, the SS media makes me smile with satisfaction.

If you want more info in these type cleaners type "stainless Media" in the box in the upper right corner of this page. Then look for threads on long range hunting. It could be you lack of people posting is because some have lost interest from discussing several times already.

Good luck
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.