Cleaning brass

I need to get a tumbler. I have 7mm-08 to 338 WM brass. What is the latest/greatest? Thanks
I've been using a Frankford Arsenal vibrating deal. Came with a tumbler thingy that fits over a 5 gal bucket. I got it for free- the guy said it was broke. I took it apart- one of the wires broke their solder connection- I resoldered it and it's been running like a champ for years.

I have no problems with it. I just use walnut media and tumble the media out.

Great thing is when the wifey hears it running she gets kinda Randy if you know what I mean. As such- I often clean my brass.

Trying to do F-class things out in the world away from the square range, can sometimes not work out well at all. Mostly, people want to simplify things that aren't suppose to be simple.

I'm intrigued by this statement. Would you care to expound on this a little more?

I'm intrigued by this statement. Would you care to expound on this a little more?
Well for instance, things that square range shooters often do, such as running minimal headspace, minimal shoulder setback, very hot loads, or jammed bullets... are often not going to fly if you subject them to field conditions during a typical northern hunting season.
Heavy rifles, large support structure, no suppressors, sighters are allowed and expected and often convertible, etc etc etc.

Thousands of rounds of bench/bellybench activities don't translate unilaterally to thousands of rounds of true field precision shooting in the elements.

This is one of the largest and most frequent mistakes that folks have made when they arrive here for training and struggle to find success. They are often following mentors that are not engaged in the discipline they are interested in participating in. Some information translates between disciplines nicely. Some does not.

So if someone wants to pursue PRS or NRL competition, they should be following the mantra of a competitor in that discipline.

If someone wants to do F-class, they should do likewise and find an F-class content creator to follow.

Aside from me, I don't know of another creator that is producing content specifically for the "benchrest accuracy and precision from a field rifle when hunting" type discipline, as a focus. So making a decision on who's system to adopt which is based on the discipline you intend to pursue, is very wise, and once you make that decision, follow it through to its completion. Trying to pick some things from everyone and expecting it to work is a fools errand.

The advice I give square range shooters under my mentorship is limited to concepts that cross over to square range with no ill effect, and the same can be true of some square range shooters. I know for a certainty that my methods work exceedingly well in F-class as they do for me in the field... given some of the folks under my mentorship are taking home podium finishes fairly regularly, at various levels. Though some of the advice given by accomplished square range shooters, such as what I mentioned above, do not as readily transfer to the field discipline.

Mistakes shooters make regularly:
Trying to learn how to shoot really small from someone shooting 1.5-3 MOA targets from improvised firing positions.
Trying to learn how to shoot in improvised firing positions from a square range shooter.
Trying to learn how to hunt, from a PRS competitor.
Trying to learn how to learn how to process brass for high volume precise field shooting from an F-class content creator.

There's countless more... but you see the issue is a problem of perspective and experience. I would never presume to instruct on how an F-class competitor should go about winning matches. The mindset and flag reading that occurs on those ranges. I have no experience to draw from, and it is a completely foolish idea that anyone trying to win a match would listen to me on the competitive aspects compared to someone that's won many events in that discipline. Yet I can very competently instruct on how to get a rifle shooting small.

If everyone that shoots would just stop doing everything else, and ONLY shoot every day... then they'd inexorably be drawn to the exact same conclusions as the apex performers in that discipline. How much further they take it from there will be measured by how much innovation they can generate. At some point, they stop following a path someone else created, and start blazing a trail of their own, for others to follow.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

@parshal

I mostly use milled rice now. It lasts longer than the un-milled and works in small cal cases, and separates easier. No additives or polish is needed.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Are you taking that medium grain white rice you recommended and grinding it down to a smaller size, or are you using a different product? I imagine grinding it down increases surface area allowing it to absorb more material, making it last longer.

Are you taking that medium grain white rice you recommended and grinding it down to a smaller size, or are you using a different product? I imagine grinding it down increases surface area allowing it to absorb more material, making it last longer.
You're correct. I'm starting with the Nishiki rice I linked previously, then milling it to the consistency of rough salt, essentially. This increases the surface area AND the abrasiveness. So it ends up being just perfect for my application.

Matter of fact, I just added it to our online store.

I haven't perfected our sifting processes yet, so it might be useful to just run it across a screen to get some more of the fine flour out of it, but there will be no harm in running it just as it is either. I make a habit of throwing some chunks of dryer sheet in with my batch each cycle just to keep everything from sticking to my media separators or buckets afterward. It soaks up a bunch of fine particulates also.

I also find it very helpful, whether rice or walnut, to leave the lid off the tumbler so the lube can evaporate and dry up over time. As opposed to sealing it up always.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate