Clean Loaded Brass?

I don't believe it is at all.
If you have a slightly compressed powder charge….and everything as is works fine, there is a possibility that the vibration settles the powder and changes the way it behaves.
I used to load my test batches in the house, walk outside where my bench was and test, then load however many, normally around 200 rounds for a match, and verify right there and then.
When Retumbo was first released, I did the very same thing as usual and I knew that when dumping the powder from the measure that the cases were very full, well into the neck. Verifying that load at home proves all was well.
The following morning, I loaded my gear and headed to the venue for that weekends match, it was a 4 hour drive….after setting up and having everything ready to commence I proceeded to fire my sighters. First shot was excessive recoil, mush louder and when I went to open the bolt, it was locked solid, beating it with a rubber mallet did nothing. I tried to pull the barrel, as this rifle is a switch barrel, and that even wouldn't come off. Normally I would have just used my sister rifle, but I didn't take it on this trip…silly me.
It was a head scratcher. I soon realised after pulling several bullets that the powder had settled A LOT! So I started experimenting with how the powder was dumped from the measure and after several attempts found that pouring the powder into a funnel at an angle would cause the powder to 'swirl' into the case allowing it to pack down better. With a reduced load from that initial load, I was able to cause a stiff bolt just by the way the powder was put into the case.
This is why I tell everyone that packing scheme of the powder is just as important as the powder you use itself.
This also why changing the compression of certain bulky powders and leaving an air gap is a bad idea.

Cheers.
I guess I have a poor sense of what others find funny. Let me assure you that is why I said I'll let others report their findings.

They don't use compressed loads, so they don't need to concern themselves with the issues I pointed out.

Cheers.
That could be. Buffalo Bore has some really hot loads, but it is probably the type of powder and not compressed I'm guessing. Really, I don't see any way one could fire. Other than the bullet backing out, I doubt it can hurt anything.

I don't believe it is at all.
If you have a slightly compressed powder charge….and everything as is works fine, there is a possibility that the vibration settles the powder and changes the way it behaves.
I used to load my test batches in the house, walk outside where my bench was and test, then load however many, normally around 200 rounds for a match, and verify right there and then.
When Retumbo was first released, I did the very same thing as usual and I knew that when dumping the powder from the measure that the cases were very full, well into the neck. Verifying that load at home proves all was well.
The following morning, I loaded my gear and headed to the venue for that weekends match, it was a 4 hour drive….after setting up and having everything ready to commence I proceeded to fire my sighters. First shot was excessive recoil, mush louder and when I went to open the bolt, it was locked solid, beating it with a rubber mallet did nothing. I tried to pull the barrel, as this rifle is a switch barrel, and that even wouldn't come off. Normally I would have just used my sister rifle, but I didn't take it on this trip…silly me.
It was a head scratcher. I soon realised after pulling several bullets that the powder had settled A LOT! So I started experimenting with how the powder was dumped from the measure and after several attempts found that pouring the powder into a funnel at an angle would cause the powder to 'swirl' into the case allowing it to pack down better. With a reduced load from that initial load, I was able to cause a stiff bolt just by the way the powder was put into the case.
This is why I tell everyone that packing scheme of the powder is just as important as the powder you use itself.
This also why changing the compression of certain bulky powders and leaving an air gap is a bad idea.

Cheers.
I'm a big fan of Black Powder cartridge rifles. Loading them with black powder, you should use a drop tube at least 24 inches long. Pouring the powder through the tube compacts the powder, and I believe the dust settles more at the bullet end of the case, but that is just a guess. For whatever reason, cartridges loaded with a tube will shoot cleaner and more accurate that those loaded without the tube. They even sound different. More of a crack than a boom. What you are describing here, is very similar. I'm always amazed at the tiny things that can make a big difference with guns and ammo.

Yes it does, have tested it numerous times.

Cheers.
Have heard this
Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 10.01.35 PM.jpg

I do appreciate the information. The information, using motor oil, came out of the Speer Reloading #9 or #10 manual. I left out motor oil and used just oil above. I do not know if that makes a difference. There was also information in those reloading books, to never handle primers with ones hands, for any natural oil on the hands that is wiped onto the primers can also neutralize the primers. Seeing how those are old books, have the primer chemicals been changed, or was that miss-information. I am only quoting information out of reloading manuals.
I was taught that also when I started reloading 35 years or so ago.....maybe more? Maybe it's true, or maybe just an "old wives tale"?

That could be. Buffalo Bore has some really hot loads, but it is probably the type of powder and not compressed I'm guessing. Really, I don't see any way one could fire. Other than the bullet backing out, I doubt it can hurt anything.
It has nothing to do with a case going off in the tumbler. It's about settling powder.

Cheers.

With the shortage of primers right now, why would anyone want to neutralize one? Many years ago, I used WD-40 to clean my cases before reloading. It worked great. Then when I got a shot at an elk, it didn't. That was the only misfire I've ever had with a reload. I've since read that police who cleaned their guns with WD-40 and then kept the cartridges in the gun for long periods of time without firing, were getting misfires.

In this order
Ultrasonic
Anneal
Full length resize and decapping
Tumble with crushed walnut
Ultrasonic

Excessive per say, possibly... but it's my time to gather my thoughts in life and business in general. The results, clean consistent brass. 😁

I've never cleaned loaded brass and don't plan on it.

Last edited:
It would seem to me that tumbling loaded ammo would/could cause the powder to abrade off some of the coating on the kernels. That would add a new variable to the burn characteristics.

I guess this would be highly dependent on load density and time in the tumbler.

Just guessing here but it does make sense.