Clean primed brass?

staghunter

I bought some pistol brass. It was supposed to be all drprimed. But there is one container with a large amount of 45's in it with new primers. Only problem is the brass is not very clean. So I don't want to run it through my press. Has anyone dry cleaned brass with good primers. If so what were the results. Can it even be done. With the price of primers I hate to just knock them out to clean the brass. Thanks

You say they supposed to have been deprimed? Does that mean they are sized already? If so, you shouldn't have to run them through your sizing die, only the die to flare the mouth, and then the seating die. Dirty brass shouldn't cause a problem with any of those functions. But, I wouldn't chance it. I would tumble clean them, then resize/deprime. Don't worry about saving the primers, they might not be any good depending on what the previous owner did to process the cases.

How much brass are you talking about that is primed?
I personally would never trust fired dirty brass with loaded primers. If you load them and have a bad primer that doesn't ignite the powder properly and you get a "Squib" stuck in the barrel of your .45 Auto and it Cycles and fires the next round "KABOOM"!!!!
If you bought the brass and not charged for the primers, don't worry about throwing the primers away.
Don't chance it!

If they are sized don't clean them just load low power loads and shoot a few. Nothing touches the dies except the crimp and dirty case wont hurt anything. If you need to size them throw a handful in vibratory cleaner, size, load, and see what they do. Just pay attention to your shooting and if you get a squib load drive it out front or back of barrel depending on where it is.