clean brass

Jimm

How do you ? I've long used vibratory(actually I used a thumlers tumbler before that , and guess which one is still working) the vibes dont seem to last very long , anybody got a good one? So what about the IOSSO liquid cleaner ?, anyone use it ? tell me what you do to clean your cases. Thanks guys ,Jim

I tried the Iosso.
Completly destroyed 50 fully prepped 300WM Federal cases.
I was not happy. Dipping the case in it, you can actually watch it work, cleaned up just like the directions said, and a couple of hours later the brass was a nasty red color. By the next morning they were almost black.
just my .02

jimm,

I have two Midway vibrators. The first one has seen an incredible amount of brass and bullets. I ordered a second one to have when the first one quits. I guess I have been lucky because (the older one) I have been trying to destroy and it just won't have any of it. I leave the top off and the thing gets covered in dust, including the motor. I overload the thing and leave it on all night long.... I wish everything else that started making noise would last this long.

Jim

I have some losso I've used a few times. I only dip the cases for about 1 minute. It's really a pain though, rinsing the cases off. That stuff doesn't wash off easily. Even after a good rinsing, when the cases dried I could see some white crap inside of them where I hadn't gotten all of it out.

I thank each and every one of you!Probably the best question/answers I've had in a while . I mean it looks like a viable solution (no pun intended) but I would have been fried to have put my newly purchased and prepped Lapua cases in tha t stuff then come back in the morning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Well, it does pay to ask especially when ther is such an abundance of experience as is here. Thanks again ,Jim Oh yeah , while we're at it, what do you use ? i.e. media/methods etc.

I too use the el cheepo midway (frankfort arsenal) vibrating case "tumbler". I bought 2 expensive ones that didn't last too long, and I figure if they are going to die fast, they might as well be cheap. I use corncob media from the local sandblasting supplier (they use it to clean out sandblasting machines, and sell 50lbs for less than what most places sell 20 for). its treated with flitz, or mothers mag wheel polish (just make sure its the non-ammonia type) if its doing polishing duty. I leave it dry if im using it to take off the hornady one shot I use if im FL sizing. I leave primers in when im tumbling, and the decapping rod cleans out the flash hole nicely when I neck size. Pretty much no matter what im doing its gonna be in there for an hour or so.

Midway vibratory w/fine corn cob (never gets stuck in flash hole) and a squirt every once in a while of midway polishing liquid. 9 years and no problems. Lots of clean brass though.

A bioChemist pal of mine published this formula in VHP mag (2004-3 page 79)
In a 5 gal bucket mix:
<ul type="square"> [*] 1 qt navel jelly or 110-130% polyphosphoric acid [*]1 gal water [*]1 gal Acetone [*]1 cup Mineral Spirits [/list]

notes: <ul type="square"> [*]after cleaning rinse with warm water [*]use in well ventilated area [*]use nitrile glove (and respirator) [/list]

I will have to agree with abinok and 4ked I also use the Midway ( frankford arsenal ) vibratory cleaner and it's lasted 4 years with no problems! I clean brass for hours at the time due to filling it to the brim with cases and it has never complained and has good results! I use some of the polish that frankford arsenal makes to renew the media after a couple of cleanings and it works great also. B1g Bore that sounds like a good and fast solution if you have a lot of cases and with those BMG's I can Imagine it don't take long to fill up that bucket!

I too use a vibratory cleaner but they don't clean the inside buildup. For that I soak the cases in apple cider vinegar for about 30 minutes then rince in cold running water. Really gets the crud out.
db

Cartridge Case Cleaning Solution

I have been using this formula for many years and it works just fine. It cleans and brightens the brass. Don't leave the brass in this mild acid solution for more than thirty minutes or you may find, it turns pink. The pink is the copper, after the zinc has been etched away. You will find the recipe with instructions, below.

Cartridge Cleaning Solution by T. Vincent
1 Cup of White Vinegar
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon liquid dish washing detergent

Place all ingredients in a 1 gallon clear glass bottle and fill with Warm Water. If you plan to store the case cleaning solution, for any length of time. Place cellophane food wrap over the top before you put the cap on. This will prevent the vinegar from attacking the aluminum cap.

I use a 12 x 9 x 3 square plastic container that fits perfectly in the sink. Put about 100 cases in, add the case cleaning solution and agitate with your hands every five minutes, for about 15-30 minutes, depending how dirty they are. Rinse and dry on an old bath towel on the floor.

The way I have been doing it for many years (I learned it from someone on Shooters.com), is to run it through with the laundry. I cut the leg off of an old pair of pants, tie the foot side shut with string, put in up to 50, 308 sized cases (or equivalant), and run it with the clothes (kill two birds with one stone). I do once after depriming, and a second time after sizing. They come out bright and shiney!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.