Cleaning loaded cases

jls1997

I recently (as in this weekend) stepped up from a rockchucker press and am a newbie to using a dillon 550. What's the best way to get the dillon case lube off your completed rounds? I have loaded roughly 500 .223 plinking rounds for my m4 and getting ready to work up a load for my ar15 for some upcoming dcm matches. Any advise is appreciated.

tumble them but its better to do after you size and before you prime.

but i have heard you can tumble loaded rounds???

or just wipe them clean with a rag

I run all my reloads through the tumbler after they are loaded and it makes a huge difference if you are not shooting the immediately. If not they dull and look like crap quick from the residue and oils from your fingers.

Clean the lube off your cases before you prime, charge and bullet them. Use laquer thinner in a ventilated area and set 'em someplace warm to evaporate the thinner off of them.

There's mixed opinions about tumbling live rounds; SAAMI and powder companies say not to do it. Same thing on wearing seat belts in cars, some people choose not to. We all get to define our margin of safety. Like the sign in the motorcycle dealer's sales room said: "We have no argument with folks who don't wear helmets riding these bikes; they know what their brains are worth."

terry cloth rag from walmart,in the automotive isle.little spray of 90%
rubbing alchol,takes of lube.dont over do the spray very flamable.

Hang on there is different kinds of Tumblers .
I would not use a rotary tumbler on live rounds it is just too risky.
Maybe a Vibrator type tumbler may be , may be ok .
However just wipe the lube off after you size then any further cleaning should not be required. Unless you are loading in an Automatic press. Then just wipe off after they are loaded .
It is one of those things that one person can do it for years and another person has a blow up. Like when primers blow up in a tube on an Auto press. Why does it only happen to some a very few and not all.
I know it takes a fair bit of force concentrated on a small point to dent a primer , but why risk it .

If a loaded cartridge primer is struck hard enough, yer in big do-do. Clean them by hand with any solvent mentioned above. Or use 0000 steel wool. Sinclair sells something called "Crazy cloth" that benchrest shooters use.

loaded ammo say 50-100 rounds cooking of in your loading room
or garage.what would you tell the insurance company and the fire dept.
to risky for me.

I clean my cases in vibrating case cleaner after sizing. Then after loading I put on Yellow jersey gloves from hardware store and wipe them off, makes gloves Green where rubbed then into box with out a finger touching them & they are bright & shiny no finger prints.

I too use a 550 for my AR loads, and just a guick wipe before they go into the ammo box works for me. I don't get too agressive as I load moly bullets.
db

I have a tumbler and vibrator type of cleaner, not impressed with either. I use a Lee zip trim and a green scotch pad to clean my cases. Takes about 5 seconds for each case. This may be a good idea for your loaded cases.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts