Chromoly or Stainless?

Gwine

Getting ready to purchase parts for a new build. (22 Creedmoor) Would like some input on which to go with. Primary use will be bench/target, maybe some time in the field for coyotes. The cost savings of CM is not that much, but if the SS is not necessary the savings can go into components. All my hunting rifles are SS. Exposed parts will be Cerakoted. My main concern with the CM is corrosion in the bore. If I am mindful of moisture and keeping it clean will it be an issue? Will the CM yield longer life?
Thanks in advance.

Getting ready to purchase parts for a new build. (22 Creedmoor) Would like some input on which to go with. Primary use will be bench/target, maybe some time in the field for coyotes. The cost savings of CM is not that much, but if the SS is not necessary the savings can go into components. All my hunting rifles are SS. Exposed parts will be Cerakoted. My main concern with the CM is corrosion in the bore. If I am mindful of moisture and keeping it clean will it be an issue? Will the CM yield longer life?
Thanks in advance.

Stainless is widely considered more accurate.

As stated above chrome moly requires a lot of maintenance and really doesnt give you any benefits.

What you're thinking of is chrome lined barrels. This is what we like in full auto barrels, still not as accurate as a stainless but last a long time. This might be because the hard chrome coating thickness can vary. Idk. Never had a problem with them personally but never used on for long long shots.

Last edited:
Episode 105 of vortex nation podcast touched on this among other barrel tidbits.
Mainly chrome moly barrels are less accurate due to inconsistencies in the plating process. Improves barrel life but gotta give something to gain somewhere else. Worth a listen.

Direct quote from 6br website:

What is Better, Stainless or Chrome-Moly Steel?
Over 90% of high-grade match barrels are made from Stainless Steel. Stainless is easier to machine because it is slightly softer. It is also easier to apply a fine, hand-lapped finish to a stainless bore. That said, chrome-moly barrels can be just as accurate, when made correctly, and there is evidence a chrome-moly barrel will hold its accuracy longer than a stainless barrel.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/barrel-faq/#24632

Yes, looking at Criterion CM or SS barrel. I know CM is a little harder and thought it may provide a benefit in barrel life or ?

..........Will the CM yield longer life?

Which steel is better?

From the Bartlein website..........
For the most part neither from what we see. If we had to pick one we would lean towards the C.M. possibly lasting longer but how long a barrel last is subject to all the variables involved. Such as the type of powder being used, how it is being shot and cleaned and the types of bullets being shot thru it etc….

From the Krieger website.............
For the most part neither one is better than the other. The only difference we find is that sometimes the chrome moly might take a little longer to break-in and might have a little more affinity for copper or seems to show it easier. In terms of barrel life and accuracy, we can find no difference comparing clean barrels.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a good answer.
They both have there advantages and one just has to sort out what he wants. Most Of my rifles are made of Stainless for the reasons I like and the barrel with the most number of rounds fired is a stainless, because that's what I prefer So I couldn't say for sure that one barrel lasted longer than the other.

Because of it's Machinability, I feel stainless is "easier" to make quality Barrels. That does not mean I think that one material is better for quality just the chances of better machining. There is one material that has a wear advantage but it is very hard to machine. That is 17-4 PH (A form of stainless) But it is nor very popular with barrel makers because of the difficulty of machining.

Chrome Molly has some extreme cold weather advantages, But by the time it gets that cold, most would/Could not be out in it. the down side is that it will readily rust if not protected. The cost of a premium barrel in ether material is about the same, but then you have to spend more to protect it so if the chrome molly barrel was cheaper it ends costing the same or more.

Stainless also has advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage is it's machinability. The corrosion resistance is one of it's strong points. Some don't like the bright color and want it blasted or coated. This may add to the cost depending on the treatment. It is also reported by some that it has better wear resistance in the throat area.

So It is Conjecture as to which is best. Build what you want with the barrel material you like/want and deal with the negatives of ether.

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM

Because of the adverse weather I usually have to contend with each season I prefer stainless. I have seen chrome molly rifles rust over night in hunting camp. Also when you go hunting you want your bore oil free. Oil left in a barrel can throw the first or second bullet off by several inches. A stainless Bbl that has been shot fouled with an oil free bore will deliver accurate first shot placement. In a wet/snowy or high humidity environment stainless gives piece of mind. Spend the money for stainless & be happy about it for years.. Also makes your rifle more desirable if you wish to sell.

I don't care what other manufacturers say, again, there's a reason why military weapons use chrome lined barrels in full auto weapons. This really has to do with temperature of the barrel.
One can argue that these are unfair comparisons because one barrel is thicker but none the less. Listen to what he observes in the rifling.

Either way, I personally don't think this is necessary for a bolt gun. I think stainless is the way to go in most cases.

Chrome lined

Stainless/melotnite

Last edited: