chromoly or stainless

harleybug

I'm in the process of building a rem 700 in 7mm rem mag and I'm looking at rebareling it and I'm curiouser to hear what u guys think about stainless or chromoly. I understand stainless withstands the ellements better but what's some other pros and cons. Any advice is appreciated.

That's the only pro, they both have potential to shoot great and both have potential to be tomato stakes. If coated (duracoat, gunkote, cerakote) they will both withstand any environment in this world. Find one the right length, contour and twist and go hunting.

Here's another pro... Stainless doesn't have to be finished. Chromoly does. So what you saved by buying a chromoly blank, you just spent in having it blued or cerakoted. Might as well go with stainless.

Personally, I love the blued action/bright stainless barrel look. I'm kind of old school when it comes to that. I don't like guns to be any color other than black or stainless.

The nice thing about stainless is you can polish it and have it bright and shinny or you can bead blast it and give it the dull gray look . I like the dull grey look like this one I built , 7Mag on a trued savage 111 E.R.Shaw barrel and a Boyd's stock

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMAG0603AB.jpg
    IMAG0603AB.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 105
Here's another pro... Stainless doesn't have to be finished. Chromoly does. So what you saved by buying a chromoly blank, you just spent in having it blued or cerakoted. Might as well go with stainless.

Personally, I love the blued action/bright stainless barrel look. I'm kind of old school when it comes to that. I don't like guns to be any color other than black or stainless.

I really like this look as well.

Also, chrome moly is said to last longer but stainless is easier to clean some say is has a better finish inside the barrel.

The only significant pro for the ss- barrels is their much better erosion - resistance concerning heat. That makes them "live longer" than chromolys.

On the other hand it's also a fact that stainless barrels can be easier damaged by wrong cleaning procedures/techniques as chromoly.

Last edited:
shooter is looking at a 7mm mag, and just how many thousand rounds is he gonna shoot?

Contrary to popular belief a stainless barrel will rust! That is unless you opt for something made of 17PH4 re-arc melt stainless steel. Not that it matters much here, but chrome moly steel is a little more stable, and will machine more accurately if done right. If your going to be shooting up near the Artic Circle, the typical grade of stainless is not what you want. It's in the nature of the metal itself. Most folks feel that a 4xx series stainless steel will handle heat better than carbon steel. It will, but nothing like they think it will. For that application one would want 330 or series 349 stainless steel, and neither one fits the usage application here very well as they are soft, yet very tough.

What one might think of doing, is the electroless nickel plate the barrel's O.D. It comes in two forms. One is the NP3 process, and comes out finished. Goes on extremely accurate. Not super hard, but still about a 43RC. Has about a 70% rust resistant factor. The other is the standard process, and is hard. About 90% rust resistant. The finish looks like bead blasted stainless steel, and is pretty smooth. I'd go with the NP3 process because it's ready to go as soon as it's cleaned up. It can be plated as thin as fifty millionths. Still I would never plate the bore.
gary

Thanks everyone for the input I was not sure on witch to pick but stainless seems to be the way to go I'm going to try a sendero style barrel with a 1/9 twist in stainless so well see how it worksgun)

I'm in the process of building a rem 700 in 7mm rem mag and I'm looking at rebareling it and I'm curiouser to hear what u guys think about stainless or chromoly. I understand stainless withstands the ellements better but what's some other pros and cons. Any advice is appreciated.

Other than the bore of the barrel being more rust resistant, I can't think of any reason I would prefer a stainless steel barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.