Changing Ballistic Tip to Accubond

I can reload and shoot with confidence now! Thank you Hand Skills!
I sometimes actually wonder if all the different manufacturers are making all different colour tips and with different supposed design features just because it'd almost be impossible not to be accused of copying someone else's design at this point. We'll have to go retro and demand Remington bring back the bronze point. Come to think of it that's funny, that was the first true tipped hp bullet, and now hornady is claiming the culmination of decades of research and perfection is to use metal and not plastic (the a tip). There is nothing new under the sun, what is has been before.....

They have shot very similar in 6.5, .308, and .338 for me same weights

They haven't retired the lines because performance on game is different. The accubond doesn't expand quite as much based on peformance on over 30 animals

That's asking, "Because I like apple fritters, will I enjoy lemon jelly donuts?"

How agreeable a consumer of a thing, be it your mouth or your rifle, will be to a particular thing has no bearing on if it'll like something else entirely which happens to share 1 similarity but which also has 100 differences
In my 7MMSAU the 140 gr. acubonds shot very well, the 140 gr. ballistic tips did not shoot well.

The 375's hit to the same POI as far as BT's and Accubonds.

28smujt.jpg

They may or may not.It really depends on the rifle.I have some that shoot exactly the same and some don't.I have some rifles that will shoot the coated Combined Technology Ballistic Silver Tips the same as the uncoated Ballistic Tips of the same weight and some hate them,so the only way to know is try because every rifle is different.

They have for me.

Let's see;

Same jacket
Same overall length
Same shape
Same bearing surface
Same boattail.

I don't meant to be a contrarian, and maybe I've just been lucky, but I'm curious what the 100 differences are @BallisticsGuy - very much value your contributions here!
I loaded 140 ballistic tip and same weight accubond with same recipe and they shot to same point of impact in 7mm remington mag.

I've been shooting quite a few 6.5 Ballistic tips and Accubonds the last couple of months in 6.5 CR and 6.5x55 and, while it just might be me, I see about a .5 to 1 inch difference in POI left/right with them.

The answer is yes, or no, or somewhere in between depending on a lot of variables you didn't mention. Mostly, at what range, and to what criteria. The same bullets from different lots group differently, just ask precision shooters. If you're shooting .3-.5 moa, F Class, without wind, and from an excellent position, you'll notice a difference in POI and group size. If you're trying to hit a pie plate at 100 yards, standing, without a sling, you can shoot any bullet you want without a difference.

Do Accubond tend to group similarly to the same weight Ballistic Tip?
Simple answer is no! You can usually have good luck getting the Accubond to shoot well in most guns, but all have different BC's. I tend to stay with the ABLR as most of my shots are over or well over 500 yds. However what the ABLR will do to a big game animal at say 800 yds (for reference my last five elk were taken between 800 and 1123 yds) the standard Accubond at the same weight wouldn't come close. I use a 7mm STW with 168 ABLR at 3,352 fps. The ballistic difference at 1,000 yds with a standard Accubond is over 4" in drop.

Do Accubond tend to group similarly to the same weight Ballistic Tip?

I practiced with 125gr and 150 grain "NBT Hunting" bullets in my .30-06 and then went with the "NAB" and found them to be same POA/POI. Both harvested whitetails cleanly but I like the "NAB" just because...

(EDIT: This was checked at 50 through 200 yards.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.