CED M2 Chronograph Review By Bryan Chatwell

I don't use a tripod. I ordered the flat metal stand just to make sure it is as steady as possible. I've also ordered the infared kit.

Robbin, and idea just hit me. You know when the mount the chronograph to a tripod, one end is sturdy and the other end would lift up if you push it up. Have you always made sure that the sturdy end is the one toward the muzzle? This is important other wise you'll never get a true reading!

30-338 I hear you! Scary!!!

That's right Jave...... taken from http://www.cedhk.com/shop/product_attachments/CEDM2ManLayout.pdf

A. The CED M2 Chronograph is designed to prevent error readings due to muzzle blast reaching
the front sensor before the bullet does. When this occurs, the display will not present a reading!
Therefore, it say "0000" only. In the case of large caliber rifles, you must position the end of the
barrel a minimum of 7 to 10 feet behind the first sensor. This will prevent the muzzle blast from
creating any problems. In the case of large caliber rifles, you can position yourself even further
away or design a blast shield. REMEMBER, to always mount the first sensor onto the arm, which
contains the tripod screw hole. This will eliminate any possibility of the "mounting bracket"
shifting upward from heavy muzzle blasts

:):):):):)Went to the range today and took my Millennium II w/ the infrared. Worked flawlessly...even in intermittent rain. I move it to within approx. 7 feet and thought the blast would ruint to the reading, but it kept going with only a few error messages. I moved it that close to get it out of the rain,,,So far so good....one of those days when everything actually works....except me. I was very rusty and need to get out more to keep skills sharp.....I am becoming a fan of the CED
30-338........Oh yeah. I like that idea of a flat plate rather than tripod...they are kinda flimsy. Watched mine sway in the wind today, but even when the wind mis-aligned the unit I still got good readings

Last edited:
Yep, got the infared screens, and the Metal stand which mad it more stable. PROBLEM SOLVED. I only had one round fail to read.

I'm a happy shooter again!

Need help! I posted earlier how great mine was but had a problem last night. Getting later in evening so i thought i would take my infrared set up. First time using it i couldn't get anything to register, i had a green light , could someone run the checklist with me what i did wrong.
Mike

It should work exactly the same, one thing I noticed was when I put the IR on, I set the machine up backwards, so the start and stop was backwards and of course it won't work if you do that. Other than that, it worked like a champ.

I put a piece of black electrical tape around one of the reciviers and its wire to remind me that it is the START reciver.

I bought the battery pack, and use the infared all the time now.

Robbin

So the front screen doesent go to the start like the regular screen does?
Mike

Either can go either place, you just have to plug them into the right spot on the actual computer. START is the one that is closest two you, and there aren't any marks, so it's easy to get backwards. I put black electrical tape around one of the ends, and onto the end of the wire that comes from it.
I always put the end with the tape, closest to me and plug the plug with the tape, into the start plug. Otherwise, you mix them up and get no reading.

Hope that is all that was wrong with yours.
Robbin

I've used it about 5 times since I got the metal stand (for a table top) and the IR screens. It reads all of the time now.
Robbin

It should work exactly the same, one thing I noticed was when I put the IR on, I set the machine up backwards, so the start and stop was backwards and of course it won't work if you do that. Other than that, it worked like a champ.

I put a piece of black electrical tape around one of the reciviers and its wire to remind me that it is the START reciver.

I bought the battery pack, and use the infared all the time now.

Robbin

Talked to the main guy from CED. I had a problem which seemed like slow readings and had a few questions. He was very courteous and helpful. He said that if you always use the Infrared that you should construct some kind of a "coffin" to shield out any ambient sunlight. Apparently, if you have both infrared and strong sunlight it is possible that the sun might compete with the infrared and it can give you false readings. This is what they do at the IPSC nationals according to him. He even offered to send me the diagram of the "coffin" but I think I will design my own...I am going out soon to test my speed against another CED, because ammo 9 mos. old was showing substantially slower...in three different rifles....This is a bit of a mystery! JS 30-338

Good read, lot of good info. I've had the CED2 for a while and so far so good. I use the IR all the time, but don't have any shield. Might be the thing to do is run it w/o IR and the first ERR you get plug in the IR. I use the battery pack as there's no juice on the outdoor range I use. Another benefit to IR is indoor ranges, I intend to test it out in the coming months at an indoor range.

Why did I get the CED2? Simply way too much hassle dragging all your gear out, testing loads, etc, just to get a bunch of ERR readings, whether later in the evening or whatever. A PIA that has gone away, and I hope stays away! Waidmannsheil, Dom.

My two cents:
I was getting erratic reads from my M2, and the muzzle velocities didn't correlate with the bullet drop at 1000 yards--
I found out the M2 needs a very stable platform (tripod or whatever) and I had been using a light Silk camera tripod-- so I bought a VERY solid 7lb camera tripod and now the M2 works great.
My friend has an Ohler 35 and we set them up in line, -- shooting over both chronos with the same bullet. Result: the M2 was +/- 1fps compared to the Ohler.
the only difference was the Ohler was registering speeds that were very consistantly 31fps faster than my M2 for every shot. But since what I care the most about is ES-- this isn't a problem for me.

Hope this helps somebody.
Bob

I use a surveyor's tripod that cost $70.00 at Maynards. I had to make a custom 1/4 20 screw arrangement to fasten the m2 bar to. It works great and is hell on stout.:D