Barrel Compromise: Weight Vs. Practicality By Bryan Chatwell

i have a 22 inch on my 338 and getting 1/2 at 300yrds rifle fully loaded scope and ammo 6 1/2 lbs

Have read this article numerous times. For a big game hunting 7mm RM I was thinking of going with a LP contour at 28" long. Since reading this, I understand the LP contour is based on a 30" barrel. Seems too long for a hunting rifle that will get used now and then in forested conditions. Anyone used an LP contour shorter than 30" versus a Shilen #5 for example? Probably too close to matter.

That is a good question weight Vs. Practicality. I Just Re-Barreled My 7 WSM for Long range hunting. I installed a Bartlein Medium Palma # 11. The twist is 1-9 , #Groves is a 5R. I had it cut to a 26 inch and added a 2 inch badger thruster brake for a total of 28 inches. With or without a brake 28 inches is as long as I go with my hunting rifles. It shoots very tight at 1000 yrds. Their are many great barrels out their and some people prefer long barrels but more often than not I get them snagged or banged around to much.

Hope this helps

Happy Hunting

Hmm 6.5 pounds is a tough weight to end up with when all is said and done. I was able to be just under 10 with my 7 WSM. With a high end scope for long range accuracy, a decent barrel for stability and full magazine with possibly a bipod. It will be tough to be lighter than 8 or 9 pounds

I guess my take away is that a 26" to 28" barrel that weights 4.5 to 5 lbs is the trade off range of accuracy and weight. It's not so much the contour that provides the accuracy, i.e. Palma versus taper

I used to think that a longer barrel length made a major difference with accuracy at long range. I have been a competitive long range shooter for the past five years when I am not long range hunting. Most of the top long range competitive shooters in our club do not have barrels longer than 26 inches.

Hope this helps.

longer barrels (than needed over optimal for a given cartridge): modest at best increase in velocity thus possible stability and at longer ranges and somewhat wider accuracy nodes. In the iron site competitions it made sense as you get the longer sight radius. Otherwise it added weight and at least in a hunting rifle you actually have to carry seemed to attract every branch, vine around. I have seen them work well, as yoou bushwack thru the heavy scrub before first light, at catching the huge spiderwebs rather than your face but not exactly the best way to be carrying them or use for them, but damned if I have not seen it done LOL.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts