Cast bullets in a 10mm auto

It's my load data that I worked up on my G20 and Chronograph. Make sure you have a KKM barrel and a 22/24 pound spring.
Warm it's not Warm it's Hot ! It's max above Full Power level in the 700 FPE zone .
My G20 is for Bear protection in Alaska !
It's a true 1262 FPS load.
CCI 300 pimers
200gr
8.8 of LS
10.5 of Blue Dot
9.6 of 800x
Crimp using Lee Factory Crimp Die
With a barrel longer than 4.6" you will have increased velocity better than the 1250 FPS zone.
I chickened out alaska,I went with a load from a website I use a lot https://shootersreference.com
They list a 200 gr lead bullet load I went with.8.0 grs Longshot.The max load is 8.2 grs.
The last 200 gr hard cast bullets I shot were pretty snappy at about 1100-1150 fps and they penetrated through an old pine tree that blew down in a storm the year before I left the south.The bullet went through the base of the tree and went out of sight!Grizz wouldn't have a chance.
I'll report how they shoot as soon as the weather gets a bit better.

I've loaded and shot 200gr hard cast lead bullets from Straight Shooters Cast Bullets in my Glock. I loaded them with 10gr of blue dot. It's a sporty load and not intended for plinking. I haven't shot them across the Lab Radar yet. I have an aftermarket barrel. Some say I can shoot these bullets with the factory barrel but it's not like it's difficult to swap a Glock barrel out so why risk it?

The barrel is about and inch longer than factory and threaded. I don't like shooting it with a can. It's nose heavy and the piston seems to add to the recoil. I may put a comp on it. May not.
You will find your max load at 10.5 of BD with bullet. Your target vel range is 1250 fps for the 700 FPE load .

I chickened out alaska,I went with a load from a website I use a lot https://shootersreference.com
They list a 200 gr lead bullet load I went with.8.0 grs Longshot.The max load is 8.2 grs.
The last 200 gr hard cast bullets I shot were pretty snappy at about 1100-1150 fps and they penetrated through an old pine tree that blew down in a storm the year before I left the south.The bullet went through the base of the tree and went out of sight!Grizz wouldn't have a chance.
I'll report how they shoot as soon as the weather gets a bit better.
8.2 load of LS is 1200fps in 4.6"
Not max 1250fps is your goal. My 8.8 LS gives me 1260. So 8.7 should be on the money with 4.6" barrel. Make sure you have 22 or 24 pound spring.

I will try a few at 8.0 grs and see how it shoots.I can always go up a bit.
My 4.6 in barrel has taken a warm load in 180 gr Hornady XTP bullet & 10.2 grs Blue Dot 1200 fps with zero problems.Less than max.Max is 10.7 grs=1250 fps.
I am hoping this milder load 8.0 will still penetrate almost as well as the Blue Dot did with a lighter bullet.
We shall see.

I loaded Montana Bullets 200gr hardcast for my Glock 40 10mm for my visit out west. I ran about 250 through it getting ready and had no leading issues at all in the factory barrel. These bullets do have a gas check.

I settled on 11.6gr of Accurate #9 for the hardcast and 14.5gr for the 165gr Berrys hollow base copper washed bullets. The 200's are running around 1160 and the 165's are running in the mid 1400's out of my gun.

I also purchased Longshot but haven't tried it because the #9 is clean and meters so well.

Thanks for the report justin61.I considered #9 and have some but chose Longshot since I have a couple of pounds to try and have not reloaded for shotgun in a couple of years.
I bought the same bullets you did.Also bought 200 coated hard cast as well but have not loaded any yet.
Any residue in the barrel?
# 9 is pretty clean so I expect it did well.

I just started loading for 10mm recently. I loaded one small batch last year in early spring and the left it alone. I picked back up in the last few weeks. Right now I'm only loading 180 gr. FMJ to get used to loading for my pistols. I have only used No. 9 to date, but also have Blue Dot. A buddy told me to pick up Longshot as well and try it. I've got a Lee Taper crimp die, but don't care for it. I just made another small batch yesterday using the taper on the seating die. Buddy said with a light crimp I'd be fine, but recommends I pick up a Lee Factory Crimp die and forget about the taper die.

I think using uncoated lead bullets these days is kind of silly. You can buy the kits and do it yourself if you want to cast your own but at the prices they charge (Missouri Bullet Co, & Acme Bullets off hand, there are others) it's not worth my time to even fire up the lead pot these days!

I got some of the MBC coated 140 LSWC gr bullets to try in my Glocks 29 and 40 (10mm) and they worked just fine. 6.0 of WW231 barely worked the actions (I have heavier springs in both pistols) but 6.5 to 7.5 worked perfectly. MBC says these bullets can be fired at up to 1500 fps so you can use other powders to get higher velocities if desired. Both are stock barrels and have shown zero leading. I also use the coated bullets in .45 and 9mm, again with zero problems. I've shot a bunch of lead 115 gr 9mm bullets thru my Glock 26 without any problems as well... BUT! You have to stop shooting after the first 50 rounds and visually inspect the barrel for leading and every 50 or so rounds after that to be certain. If you have any leading at all, just fire 6 rounds of jacketed ammo to smooth it out! Shooting jacketed *does not "blow the lead" out of the barrel* but it just smoothes it out so it's not a problem, pressure wise. If you get any leading in the first 50 I recommend either not shooting lead at all or using a barrel smoothing kit such as the Nico kit before using any more lead. My Glock 26 barrel simply does not lead much at all and I've shot as many as 250 rounds in a session without problems. But remember, every barrel is unique and some simply won't tolerate lead bullets at all, period! Even hard cast can cause some leading. For these barrels you're stuck loading jacketed or at least plated bullets. Fortunately, these barrels are far and few between!
If shooting lead bullets out of your Glock, just check it often and it's perfectly safe. If you end up with lumps you didn't check often enough and need to stop and clean the barrel with a bronze brush (the only thing, other than abrasives such as JB Bore Cleaner) that will actually get the lead out of the barrel. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SHOOT LUMPS SMOOTH! That's where you're likely to blow your pistol into pieces... and maybe your hand! The only chemical cleaner that actually works is the Outers Foul Out electro plating kit. I have tried every other chemical that says it will remove lead and they all flat out lie! Mostly they rely on a layer of copper under the lead. If your barrel is clean, it's a waste of time and money!
Cheers,
crkckr

I think using uncoated lead bullets these days is kind of silly. You can buy the kits and do it yourself if you want to cast your own but at the prices they charge (Missouri Bullet Co, & Acme Bullets off hand, there are others) it's not worth my time to even fire up the lead pot these days!
I've got free lead and a Lyman lube/sizer so I'll continue to cast bullets and lube them. I'm not altogether interested in coating bullets having set up with a lube/sizer. I'm also making rifle bullets that would cost quite a bit if I were to buy them. I do use Missouri bullets for some stuff for the 357 but I'm not sure if I will re-buy as I've found a similar mold that shoots well.

I will try a few at 8.0 grs and see how it shoots.I can always go up a bit.
My 4.6 in barrel has taken a warm load in 180 gr Hornady XTP bullet & 10.2 grs Blue Dot 1200 fps with zero problems.Less than max.Max is 10.7 grs=1250 fps.
I am hoping this milder load 8.0 will still penetrate almost as well as the Blue Dot did with a lighter bullet.
We shall see.
My BD load is 10.5 with 200XTP and CCI 300

I loaded Montana Bullets 200gr hardcast for my Glock 40 10mm for my visit out west. I ran about 250 through it getting ready and had no leading issues at all in the factory barrel. These bullets do have a gas check.

I settled on 11.6gr of Accurate #9 for the hardcast and 14.5gr for the 165gr Berrys hollow base copper washed bullets. The 200's are running around 1160 and the 165's are running in the mid 1400's out of my gun.

I also purchased Longshot but haven't tried it because the #9 is clean and meters so well.
11.6 of AA9 with 200s that's a very light load !
350 CCI primers
You should be up around 13.8 of AA9 with 200's
Great choice of Bullet

Recent Posts