Cast bullets in a 10mm auto

You have to get a 22/24 lb spring these loads will ruin a G20/40 lower Polymer frame . I normally replace the firing pin spring to Wolff 6lbs at the same time in Glock.
Factory standard recoil spring in G20/40 is 18lbs.
10.6 of BD I lowered it too 10.5 for best accuracy.

Last edited:
I've only been casting for about 10/12 years now, but I REALLY enjoy doing so. I cast for both rifle and handguns for projectiles .355 caliber and over. The .358", .375", .401", .430", and .458" handguns/rifles are my favorite. Next in line would be my .452" and .510" muzzleloaders.

But, regarding the 10mm Auto. First and foremost I am a hunter. I LOVE to handgun hunt and find it very rewarding to harvest game with a bullet I casted/loaded to take such animals - mostly deer and hogs (southeastern fella here). My current pet load for the 10mm Auto is a 200gr. Accurate Mold .40-200C of (30:1 alloy) 25% COWW - 75% SOFT to 1lb. pewter, about 11 BHN. In the last year I have begun powder coating and watched my groups tighten up by 50%!!! I was strongly against powder coating for the longest time until I tried (forced to) it for myself. . .VERY glad I did!!!

I shoot a Glock G40 MOS with a 6.5" KKM barrel and a few other specialties in this handgun. I have a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro sight and it is zeroed at 75yds. with the 40-200C bullet. My load is 11.5gr. Accurate #9, (YMMV start below) Starline brass, Winchester LPP, 200 gr. cast at a COAL of 1.260" with a muzzle velocity of 1320FPS (over a Lab Radar). I am VERY confident at taking Med. Game to the 75yrd. mark and can walk aluminum cans off the bench to 125yds. with this load/handgun. I do harvest deer (multiple) ever year with this combo and hogs as pest control seems like weekly with no issue. It is really a fun, accurate and lethal cartridge within 100 yards.

I know this will probably start a SERIOUS B.S. session. . .but all this talk of self-defense and hand loaded ammo, cast ammo, blah blah blah. . .is internet pot-stirring bullsh!t!!! Yes, if your running hunting cast loads (as I do) there is a chance of over-penetration, but it doesn't mean you're out of compliance with the law. You as the shooter have to take everything going on at the moment if you were to squeeze the SAID trigger. That said, I know MY AMMO, and what the capabilities are of what is loaded in my handguns. . .carry guns have "said load" hunting handguns have "said load". . .either way I feel "me & mine" are protected.

Just my $.02 on this matter. Take care and Happy New Year. Be safe out there.
Great pistol you have
Seems you 11.5 of AA9 load is light with 200gr !

You have to get a 22/24 lb spring these loads will ruin a G20/40 lower Polymer frame . I normally replace the firing pin spring to Wolff 6lbs at the same time in Glock.
It's a 22# spring according to the package that I put the stock spring back in (and noted as much on the package).

It sure is your load data. My first were loaded with your 10.6gr load.I still have those. I have the KKM barrel. I don't have the heavy spring so I backed it down a bit. It is a hard hitting load, no doubt about that. I didn't load them for paper targets, if I had I would have stopped. It's not a comfortable round to shoot but it's not supposed to be. I called it sporty in my post. In Texan that means hot.

Measured spring tension with just a scale is hit or miss. That said, my spring measures 14lbs. I can feel when the slide when it hits the stops and it slings brass up and over so that it lands about 8-10' away. I definitely need to replace the spring.

Edit: I found the package. It's actually a 22# spring and tungsten guide rod. I'll shoot couple across my Garmin. I've been wanting to see how that things works.
Suggest a brass catcher that attaches to rail or wrist to catch your brass .

It's my load data that I worked up on my G20 and Chronograph. Make sure you have a KKM barrel and a 22/24 pound spring.
Warm it's not Warm it's Hot ! It's max above Full Power level in the 700 FPE zone .
My G20 is for Bear protection in Alaska !
It's a true 1262 FPS load.
CCI 300 pimers
200gr
8.8 of LS
10.5 of Blue Dot
9.6 of 800x
Crimp using Lee Factory Crimp Die
With a barrel longer than 4.6" you will have increased velocity better than the 1250 FPS zone.
Thanks for the reply alsaka,I have had 1 encounter with a Grizz and not wanting another so I want something more than I had back then.
I will load a bit lighter as I have a Smith & Wesson 2.0 Semi Auto and not sure if it will take the same punishment the Glock can take.
Have a good one.

I have a stainless bisley in 45 colt. It's a fine piece but I don't shoot it very much because it's pretty heavy. I've been rolling around the idea of trading it toward a 10mm auto, most likely the Glock 20sf, but I wasn't sure about cast bullets in a 10mm.

I've read post after post about the stopping power of the 10mm with various jacketed bullets. I'd like to use hard cast bullets if for no other reason than cost and what I think would be superior penetration over jacketed bullets. (Opinions welcomed)

Has anyone loaded a 10mm with a good hard cast bullet? I've used Dry Creek bullets in my 45 and love them. I really like them because they're affordable and Lynn is an easy guy to get in touch with who also stands by his products.

I don't cast nor do I see myself starting in the foreseeable future so I'd be buying any cast bullets. Next to quality, available and price are pretty important to me.

Keith
I like DA/SA autos so bought a EAA Tanfoglio duotone compact carry. "Compact" is a relative term for not as big as the service version with 6" barrel. It shoots great using 180 gr cast moly coated flat points. Feeds without fail and very accurate. I tradeoff between moderate loads of Unique about 6.5 grs and Blue dot about 9.5 gr and it runs about 1170. That said, you need to get your mind right and put your feet in the stirrups when you go for an extended shoot as that is a stout cartridge. I bought the bullets through "Cheaper than Dirt" but have no brand info so that's not helpful--sorry--they're red:).

10mm Auto
A good trail load not too hot not too cold
Just the way papa bear likes it

Brass: new Starline
Primer: CCI 350
COL: 1.26"
Powder: Accurate no. 9
Bullet: Wide Flat Nosed Gas Checked Hardcast (WFNGC) 200 gr. (sized .401") Montana
Gun: Gen 4 Glock 20. Stock barrel
13.8 grains: ave velocity = 1232 fps

Of course I run KKM barrel and my velocity is a tad more achieving the 1255 FPS - 700FPE goal.
AA 9 great powder my favorite in 10mm.

Last edited:
10mm Auto
A good trail load not too hot not too cold
Just the way papa bear likes it

Brass: new Starline
Primer: CCI 350
COL: 1.26"
Powder: Accurate no. 9
Bullet: Wide Flat Nosed Gas Checked Hardcast (WFNGC) 200 gr. (sized .401") Montana
Gun: Gen 4 Glock 20. Stock barrel
13.8 grains: ave velocity = 1232 fps

Of course I run KKM barrel and my velocity is a tad more achieving the 1255 FPS - 700FPE goal.
AA 9 great powder my favorite in 10mm.
crap, my M@M2 10mm seems hot at 11.2 gr #9 with a 210 cast... I guess all bullets and barrels are different though...

Now this is something I have never ever heard of this. I have been a Glock Armorer since the mid 90's and lots of continual refresher and updates. You get a lot of facts (not class rhetoric) in the after class social gatherings while all the "rumors" get brought up and discussed. Could you post up or give some info where I can find some real data that supports the "have to get" a certain spring and some ruined Glock frames because they did not?

Save yourself the grief. I own several 1911's in 10mm all of which run flawless with a good copper hollow point, HST's, XTP's, V-Crows and so on. Thought I would save myself some money and try some hard cast lead bullets, way to many FTF's. I have polished all my feed ramps baby butt smooth but they just dont want to let that sticky lead slide up in there. If you really want to shoot hard cast I would suggest having them powder coated, the ones I tried worked fairly well but still not as consistent as a good copper coated bullet.