Cartridge idea

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
My idea must have been thought of before, so perhaps one of you could tell me what it is. .308 case necked to 6.5, improved to a 40deg shoulder, and take as much taper out of the case as possible and still open the bolt easily. Looks like it may be the same as a .260 rem improved? This is just a random thought that came into my head. It may not even be worth thinking about when you consider the 6.5-284 or the 6.5-06. I like the performance of the 7-08 and thought that it would be a great little cartridge improved w/ the 6.5 class bullets.

Fill me in guys.

Steve

Interesting thought, but I don't really think much can be gained over the standard .260 Rem. by imroving the case. You would gain a little velocity but I don't think it would be enough to justify the change. The 40 deg. shoulder would virtually eliminate case stretching however and minimize the need for f/l sizing after cases have been fire-formed. I will defer to those with more experience.

Festus

Am going out tomorrow to shoot my 6.5 WSM (load development) and maybe shoot a feral hog or 2 possibly a big deer. I like the 6.5's as a whole and have had sucess with them.

The 260 already has basically minimal body tapor but you will gain something from the 40 degree shoulder angle.

You may want to note that the guy in the previous video said he uses a fireforming barrel (likely to cut the round count down on his target rifle.

Jerry Teo has a vary cool rig you may want to look at this link to 6mmbr:

6.5 "Mystic" Barrel Block F-Classer

It just seems to me that you can get identical performance, or slightly better, with a 6.5x284 and you won't have to bother with fireforming. The 6.5x284 already has a long established accuracy record.

The 260AI may have an edge with its shorter case length if a short action is chosen.

It just seems to me that you can get identical performance, or slightly better, with a 6.5x284 and you won't have to bother with fireforming. The 6.5x284 already has a long established accuracy record.

The 260AI may have an edge with its shorter case length if a short action is chosen.

I agree. But, I think everyone likes the "wow" factor with most of the wildcats and improved cals. They are fine by me when hunting locally, but when it comes to flying somewhere on a hunt, I prefer good old standard calibers in case my ammo doesn't make it for whatever reason.

I've chosen the 6.5x284. The 260 improved case can have feeding problems, as stated to me by a smith. Moreover, I'd opt for a standard 260 over the improved, but use a 25" bbl.

Thanks guys for all the info. Makes great food for thought. Might be a good alternative to the over bores for a varminter/hunter.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.