Cartridge Choice for Long Action Rebarrel

7 SAUM and .280AI are ballistic twins. The .280AI is the easier choice in this rifle, strictly due to bolt face. I love mine.

If you want to get a bit more, the .280 Sherman (LA version) is another route. Gets you right there with a 7RM, but in a standard bolt face cartridge.

.270AI or .270 Sherman (LA) is the same boat.

Same with 6.5-06AI, 6.5-.280AI and 6.5 Sherman (LA). If you only want to run up to 160s, the 6.5-06AI is an interesting choice. 156 Bergers or 160 Matrix have better BC and SD than a 7mm 160 of any type. But, they are at the very top of the 6.5mm line up, with not a lot of other choices.

Just about every maker of 7mm bullets makes a 160. Plus, you can go a lot heavier (up to 197gr) if you want. I run a 175 Berger Elite in my .280AI @ 2976fps from my 26".

My .270 is due a rebarrel probably at the end of this coming season. It's a standard long action 700 remmy.

As I'm now using a different rifle for guiding work the .270 is going to just be a "fun" long range rifle for me that I'll hand load for, so wild cats are on the table and I fancy something a bit "out there" if sensible enough.

Considering a .280 AI as the front runner at the moment. I fancy shooting 160g and similar bullets and will be using it for red deer and hopefully on a spring black bear hunt in a year or two when I get over to your side of the pond.

Thanks,

Sam
I would think hard about the 6.5-280 ackley simple neck down on 280 ackley brass and you can run 6.5 prc velocity I am using 280 ackley bushing dies with a .292 bushing and swaped to a 6.5 vld seating stem so no odd ball high priced dies and Peterson is now making brass so there is a good option compared to what was available

My .270 is due a rebarrel probably at the end of this coming season. It's a standard long action 700 remmy.

As I'm now using a different rifle for guiding work the .270 is going to just be a "fun" long range rifle for me that I'll hand load for, so wild cats are on the table and I fancy something a bit "out there" if sensible enough.

Considering a .280 AI as the front runner at the moment. I fancy shooting 160g and similar bullets and will be using it for red deer and hopefully on a spring black bear hunt in a year or two when I get over to your side of the pond.

Thanks,

Sam
280al would be fine

Thanks,

Sam
338/06, 6.5/284, 25/06, .240WBY

6.5-06 Improved? Anyone? That's what I would do. Take advantage of those high BC bullets, use all your existing 270 brass and neck it down then fireform them. That's what I would want to do if I didn't do the 280AI. Seems to be the easiest with all of your existing stuff considered.

The 6.5 sherman is slightly better thought out over the 6.5-06ai. the Sherman uses the .270 case which is longer than the 30-06 case. the .sherman maximises the full potential of the standard bolt face, long action.